Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Marky_Mark_17

mmerkle - Mostly it's just warm-up / warm-down.  The track always flatters the pace a bit and I run those workouts in an older pair of Vaporflies which also picks the pace up a bit.

Steve - haha yeah that was my reaction too.  But seemed minor so ran through it no problems.  Anyways nice job on the trails.  They are great for strength especially when you get some punishing hills like that - a 10% grade is no joke!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - This will sound a lot like "if you have a hammer then everything looks like a nail", but maybe get yourself tested for your allergies? I also had a seemingly sudden appearance of respiratory allergies around 38/39 years old.

me -

I gave up waiting for the cough, nasal voice and sore throat to go away and restarted running. I predict my endurance will be shot, but I'll take one day after the other. Coughing while running is very annoying, but a man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

I've visited the pulmonologist doc on Thursday and he gave me some codeine pills for the cough, it seems to be improving day by day, very slowly.

He told me there's a third strain (other than covid and influenza) going around and shutting down people.

Anyway, I hope to clear this out of my system soon so I can get the allergy blood test done and hopefully whatever allergy vaccine I take works well.

Here's my week, it's HUGE!

Weekly for period: From: 01/02/2023 To 01/08/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
      Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
      in ft
      01/07 Not entirely back yet, still have a sore throat, nasal voice and a cough. 2.57 4.13 00:20:05 07:49 04:52 0
      01/08 Pardon me as I run 6km in 30 minutes, exactly 5min per km. Also cough cough cough 🦠🤧 3.73 6.00 00:29:55 08:01 04:59 200

Total distance: 6.30mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cobra Commander Keen - here's some guidance on where to run from Crystal City.

• You will be running a fair bit on the Mount Vernon trail.  To get there from Crystal City, there is a handy access trail on Crystal Drive just north of 18th Street.  (view of the entrance).  There is a lot of construction there, but you can still use the access trail (I ran it myself yesterday).  Just run down the dirt path next to the temporary fencing, and that will put you on the trail that runs under the GW parkway and up to intersect the MV trail.  Once you hit the MV trail, you can turn right to run south towards Alexandria, or left to run north towards DC and Rosslyn.

• Once you hit the MV trail, you can really go as far as you want in either direction. 
          -If you head towards Alexandria, you've got 13 miles of trail before it dead ends at Mount Vernon.  (If you go this route, the trail will temporarily disappear in Old Town Alexandria and you'll have to run on the sidewalks until it starts up again south of Old Town).
          -If you head towards Rosslyn/DC, you can literally go for 30+ miles.  After about 4 miles, the MV trail will officially end in Rosslyn at the intersection with Fort Meyer Drive.  But you can go straight across that intersection and the Custis trail will start up on the other side.  You can then take the Custis trail for about 4.5 miles before it will dead end at the W&OD trail, and then you can take the W&OD trail for many many many miles.

• To get to DC, and Hains Point and/or the monuments:  get on the MV trail north.  After about 1.5 miles, you'll run under a collection of bridges known as the 14th Street Bridge.  Just after you go under those, there will be a turn to your left.  Take that turn, and you'll go up and over the 14th Street Bridge.  After the bridge, you will intersect Basin Drive, with the Jefferson Memorial right ahead of you. 
          -From there you can turn left and follow Basin Drive as it curves around to intersect Ohio Drive.  Keep going left around the curve (instead of right over the bridge) and you will head south on Ohio Drive to pick up Hains Point (aka East Potomac Park).
          -Or you can cross Basin Drive and then follow the trail north, and it will take you to the National Mall (where most of the monuments are)

• To get to the Iwo Jima Memorial for hills, you're really best off taking the Blue line metro three stops to the Arlington Cemetery station.  You can get there by running from Crystal City, but it's not a great run and you have to cross the GW Parkway, which I really don't like doing.  If you take metro to Arlington Cemetery, when you exit the station, you will be facing a road.  Turn right on that road and follow the sidewalk about 300m to an exit ramp that has a paved trail next to it.  Get on that trail and follow it a half-mile around Arlington Cemetery and to the entrance to the Marine Corps War Memorial (aka Iwo Jima).  The entrance will look like this.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Dave/Fishy Make my own? Interesting, not sure how. I remember seeing these devices you can kind of slip over your shoe for ice/snow, and that's what I thought you meant.

mmerkle - you’re thinking of YakTrax, which RP recommended. Here is a pic of what Fishy & I are talking about. An old pair of shoes plus some 1/4”-1/2” hex head sheet metal screws. The longer the screws, the better they’ll stay in, but of course more likely to poke through. I think I ended up with 3/8” and have had no problem. I don’t think there’s one right answer for the exact number and pattern, but his worked great for me.

Dave

Fishyone

Dave- 100%- I found the 3/8 perfect as well.  I think I threw a few more screws in but same basic pattern and they work very well.  I've never tried anything but slower run commutes in them but they do the trick.

DarkWave- If I'm ever in the area I will absolutely pick your brain for running routes.  We don't have as many or varied in Boston but I'd be happy to share if anyone is in town and wants a few suggestions.

Mark/Flavio- Hope you guys get over the bugs you've been fighting.

My week- Back to marathon training.  Nothing exciting just some base miles for the next couple weeks.

Title Distance Time Avg Pace
            Long run 18.15 2:27:54 8:09
            Medfield Running 7.61 1:02:54 8:16
            Lunch Run 7.46 0:59:57 8:02
            AM Commute 7.7 1:06:18 8:37
            morning MLR 13.12 1:55:20 8:47
            GA 7.5 strides 7.45 0:59:12 7:57
            MLR 15 15.44 2:05:21 8:07

Total 76.93    

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

A month out from the start of formal training, I feel like I’m in a pretty good place. Continuing to maintain a solid base, and starting to ease into some light speed work to get the legs turning over. It was a little ragged at the start, but got smoother and quicker as the workout progressed. By the last couple reps, I felt like I was really hauling ass.

Oh and I’ve officially registered for Eugene now. Price increase was coming up, so figured I might as well commit.

Weekly for period: From: 01/02/2023 To 01/08/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
              Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
              in ft
              01/02 Morning Run 8.02 12.91 01:09:41 08:41 05:24 335
              01/03 Morning Run 7.01 11.28 01:03:07 09:00 05:36 338
              01/04 Morning Run 9.04 14.55 01:22:03 09:05 05:38 453
              01/05 10 x 1 min on / 1 min off 8.04 12.94 01:11:23 08:53 05:31 200
              01/06 Morning Run 6.03 9.70 00:55:46 09:15 05:45 272
              01/07 Morning Run 15.01 24.15 02:13:18 08:53 05:31 486
              01/08 Morning Run 8.01 12.89 01:09:23 08:40 05:23 312

Total distance: 61.17mi

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio - so sorry you are still dealing with this.  Is the third bug RSV?  That's the third bug around here.

Marky_Mark - solid week for being sick, or even if not sick.

Steve - the Strava elevation profile for that Rapaki climb is really impressive.  How did you not trip and fall on the way down?

FIshy - boring is not bad in training.    And yes, next time I'm in Boston (and not racing) I'll ask you for tips.  I actually went to school up there, so I'm familiar with the area, but I wasn't a runner then.

Dave - solid week for you with some decent elevation gain in there.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My week:

54 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: upper body weights/core and 90 minutes pool-running
                  T: 11.5 miles, with a track workout of 2000, 5x800, 2x200 in 9:00, 3:24, 3:21, 3:18, 3:15, 3:12, 48, and 48. 5:20 recovery after the 2K; recoveries of 2:4x-3:0x between the 800s; full recovery for the 200s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                  W: Streaming yoga and 9.5 miles very easy (9:19) plus drills/strides.
                  Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                  F: 9 miles, including a 6400m track tempo in 27:44 (7:05/6:59/6:54/6:46). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                  Sa: 9.5 miles very easy (9:20) plus drills/strides. Streaming yoga in afternoon.
                  Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:18 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:09 pace, next 4 miles averaging 7:34 pace, and then a half mile cooldown. Followed with injury prevention work.

Second to last week before Houston.  I usually taper with a 5K tempo on Friday and 12 miles aerobic on Sunday, but I am intentionally doing a bit more this time because it seems like my neuro issues get worse when I cut back too much.

I slept in on Friday and skipped the team workout so that I could do a tempo on the track after the sun rose.  And (unsurprisingly) it was substantially faster.  To this point, some tests at the neuro PT this week confirmed that my proprioception is absolutely awful - I'm just not getting any feedback from my feet about where my body is relative to the ground or in space (I think we all discussed this last year when discussing running in the dark).  So I've got a slew of new neuro PT exercises to do - none of which involve closing my eyes, interestingly enough.

[the big exercise is that I am supposed to build up to is balancing on one foot for 2 minutes at a time, while a) staring at a point on a wall several feet away and b) rotating my head from side to side (but keeping my eyes focused on the central point.]

I also have figured out that caffeine seems to make my neuro issues worse - I took a caffeinated gel in the middle of today's long run, and things went a little south after.  And looking back at my training log, the same has happened before.  So I think I'm going to change up my race nutrition plan and just use regular Maurtens and see how that goes.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - You have so many extra things you need to do in training, it's impressive how you get it all done.  Excited and hopeful about Houston.  Any ideas on goals or targets?

Rapaki is gravel which is quite large in places providing a soft landing which definitely helps on the way down.  I was also really careful to keep it slow to avoid a fall and ending up with smashed up quads.  It was my first time up there and as I started I saw someone coming down with what I assume were proper trail shoes so I was a bit worried about the return trip.  I hadn't looked at that profile on Strava, it does look pretty cool.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave - You have so many extra things you need to do in training, it's impressive how you get it all done.  Excited and hopeful about Houston.  Any ideas on goals or targets?

Honestly, it all depends on which set of legs shows up on race morning.  Like always, I'm going to run off of feel and give it my best and see what happens.

I think that sub-3:20 is reasonable and within my current fitness. Honestly, I think significantly faster than that is also possible.  The confounder is that the neuro issues really flare in certain situations, like running in crowds, and so I don't know how that is going to go.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My week:

27 miles

Friday  and saturday were easy paced with a buddy of mine training for Boston.  Sunday the weather sucked (check Strava) and I was actually thinking ‘okay THIS is where everyone ELSE needs ME. This crap weather is where someone needs my mental fortitude to push through and I’ve been trying in others.’ I just ran to the store to get some extra miles expecting most to go short.  One woman said she’d do 13, but the weather was just garbage and we took the 1-3 mile run home with a tailwind as a reward for doing a few uphill miles into the wind. Oh and lots of ice because no one here plows more than once, they expect it to melt which it does right before it freezes, and ice is BULLSHIT to run in. YaxTrax (slip on screw shoes) would have been GREAT today with the spikes

dave good deal signing up for Eugene. Saving money by spending money early is a great idea. ‘Honey do you see gow much money I SAVED by O LY spending just over $150????

I should sign up for CIM before prices go up. Just not in the mood.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dktrotter

Dorothea

Mmerkle, I don't mind you asking! I was lucky to get a full-time teaching position at my current uni, but it's not tenure-track, and that's my real goal. In the meantime I've applied for a few assistant professorships/post-docs (my PhD earning date is about to expire on those) so I am hopeful that if my position doesn't get renewed next year, I'll have another more research-oriented option, even if it may mean moving again.

RP, I am not a parent and have no idea if I'd be any good at it, but my best friend has a three year old who will not eat his food unless he is bribed with byte-size bits of some favorite show of his. After seeing everything my friend does for this kid to get him to eat before resorting to that, I sympathize more with parents who have their kids watching videos in restaurants, even if I will go over to ask them to lower the volume/use headphones.

Back to running, this looks like a solid first week of the year for everyone! Lots of miles. It's already obvious, but some of your off-season miles are higher than I ever get in training. This week was definitely not a good specimen, anyway. After 300+ days of not taking a day off running, I took off three this week, but that just kind of happened due to it being a pretty messy week in general. I already wrote about why I took off Monday. I took off Friday because there was just too much going on, and today same thing. I did manage to get a decent number of bike miles, so I'm happy about that.

I'm also happy about Thursday's workout. The plan actually called for intervals on Tuesday and tempo on Thursday, but I didn't feel ready to tackle the workout Tuesday and pushed it to Thursday. It went reasonably well. Ideal would have been closer to 7mpm, and it was more like 7:15mpm, but I didn't hurt, so that was the main thing. Saturday's long run went well too, which is no wonder considering the lighter week.

Weekly for period: From: 01/02/2023 To 01/08/2023

Date

Name

mi

km

Duration

Avg/mi

Avg/km

Elevation Gain 

in ft

01/03

Lunch Run 

00:56:51

08:28

05:16

01/04

1st half

00:32:15

09:01

05:36

01/04

2nd half 

00:32:16

09:01

05:36

01/05

5 x 1 mile 

01:13:56

08:45

05:26

01/07

Morning Run 

02:07:14

08:25

05:14

Total distance: 37.4mi; 35.1 bike miles

Edited to explain that Wednesday's run was accidentally not recorded until half-way through, but I just doubled the half to get the miles accurate.

Hoping that next week, with the start of the semester, comes a sustainable running routine. Adding a cycle commute and trying to see how to make one of the days a run commute... For others who do that (Fishy?), how do you get your stuff (like a laptop) to the office or back?

Hope you're feeling better, Mark and Flavio! 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fishy - As DW said, I find that training must be as boring as possible. If you feel training is boring, then you're doing it right.
                            It's the correct amount of effort.

DW - It might very well be this RSV thing. The pulmonologist said the name, but I forgot it 🤦‍♂️
                            And now I can't ever criticise my mom for forgetting what the doctors tell her...
                            Your neuro exercise makes sense, as you rotate your head you will tend to lose balance. This should also help you with your running.
                            Also, welcome to the club of ex-coffeeholics Smile

Do any of the doctors have any clue as to the possible root cause of your issues ? Is it like degradation of neurons ?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RP - agreed.  Ice is BS.  And black ice is super BS.

Adding a cycle commute and trying to see how to make one of the days a run commute... For others who do that (Fishy?), how do you get your stuff (like a laptop) to the office or back?

I run commute sometimes and use this backpack.  It carries my laptop, change of clothes, and a small hyper absorbent towel, plus some other stuff.  (I leave my work shoes at the office).

Also, welcome to the club of ex-coffeeholics Smile

Do any of the doctors have any clue as to the possible root cause of your issues ? Is it like degradation of neurons ?

Funny thing is, I don't drink coffee. My only consumption of caffeine is from gels.  So this is not a huge life-altering adjustment.

As for the neurons thing - neuron loss is one suspected cause.  However, I had a brain scan in late October that was normal - no loss of neurons could be seen.  So I now have a skin biopsy of all things scheduled for later this month - supposedly if you have certain neurological issues, they'll show in proteins in your skin.

But the fact that I respond well to the drug I'm taking now (something called carbidopa/levodopa) indicates that it is something related to dopamine levels in the brain.  The question is just - why are those levels screwed up?

dktrotter

Dorothea

I run commute sometimes and use this backpack.  It carries my laptop, change of clothes, and a small hyper absorbent towel, plus some other stuff.  (I leave my work shoes at the office).

Thanks darkwave! It looks great! I mostly just need my laptop, as I can pick everything up the next day. Really important question here: how well does it stand up to sweat? I usually soak through the backs of my hydration packs.

Also, dopamine loss? That's also involved in the diagnosis for Parkinson's, right? I am hopeful for you that whatever is going on with you is reversible.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.