How to avoid cramps? (Read 89 times)

hectortrojan

I am a recreational runner. I went for the longest run/hike last Saturday and I was on my feet for little over 6 hour. In last 40 minutes or so, I got cramps.

Weather was not hot and I drank around 3 ltr of water. Would have drank little more, but ran out of it in last half an hour or so. I did not use electrolyte tablets. All I did was, I added some salt in the water. Apart from little salty water, I kept having a gel every 40-45 minutes. Of course, I would make sure not to run out of water next time.

When I got cramps, I thought I would add electrolyte tablets next time.

I was reading about cramps, and I came across http://www.irunfar.com/2013/07/cramping-my-style.html. It says there is no relationship between electrolytes and cramps!

People who suffered cramps and were able to avoid them going forward, how did you do it? What would cause it and how do I avoid it going forward?

bhearn

There is still argument, but at least on the academic side, yes, the current view seems to be that electrolytes have nothing to do with cramping. Instead it's simply pushing your muscles past what they are trained for. I kicked calf cramps by doing extra calf strengthening (eccentric calf drops after every workout).

OTOH the top ultrarunners will tell you, yes, we know all that, but salt still works. YMMV.

MTA great reading here:

http://sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-i/

and be sure to also see parts II-V.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't know if this applies at all to athletics, but after years of suffering from nighttime cramps, DW solved her problem by drinking tonic water (quinine) before bed.  What do you think?

bhearn

I dunno. To me night cramps are more mysterious than exercise-induced cramps.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I dunno. To me night cramps are more mysterious than exercise-induced cramps.

+1

steph  

endlessrun

First couple of times I went on really long walks with Shorewalkers I got night leg cramps.  They told me it was normal.  When I built some endurance the cramps never returned.  I didn't need to eat or drink anything special.

Still, in exercises where I sweat a lot, like a hilly run or a spinning class, I'll take a salt-electrolyte pill from time to time.  In fact, I took one earlier today as it was very humid in the mts where I was running.  I see no harm in replacing the minerals which I'm likely losing.  The pills seem to cut down on the incidence or severity of my cramping and also cut down on my cravings- sometimes overwhelming- for salty snacks.

NHLA

Potassium is supposed to help. When you get a cramp apply pressure and release. Don't rub it.