40s+ on the Run - Happy New Year! (Week of 12/30/07) (Read 1379 times)

Thanks mtnchk! Sugar Amerthighs here Shocked Quite a name for a fair skinned, type 1 diabetic, dontcha think?! Big grin Oh, and as long as we are on embarassing musical confessions....I have lots of John Denver and James Taylor on my Ipod. No wonder I run slow!
    Progress Trumps Pefection
    BTY

Brian, is it cold enough for you up in Albany today? Those extra few lbs. will keep you well insulated, so keep 'em on! -Bob
      It was -1F when I walked from my car to the building yesterday morning. I seriously considered jogging from the parking garage to the door of my office so I could post on a "More Miles Than Degrees" thread. Today was downright balmy at +7F and almost no wind. My headcold is almost all gone, so I hope to enjoy the warm weather that's coming our way next week - we're supposed to have a high of around 60 on Tuesday. How's that for a temperature swing? Cool I still have a few weeks to build up to where I can comfortably begin the 10k training program. I'm hoping I have enough miles on my legs to accept a restart at about 15 mpw. Anyone else have their kids wake them from a sound sleep on New Year's at 12:01? Embarrassed I knew the day would come, but I was thinking maybe 10 years from now. bty
        Brian and Bob - We've been watching the weather in Prague, and this next week it's suppose to be a high of 32 (if they're lucky) with freezing rain and snow. Shocked This Northern California girl is going to freeze her fan-danny off over there!! Who's idea was this trip, anyway?? Confused Who's doing the Disney marathon this weekend? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to look back through all the posts.) Good luck!! The wind and rain this morning has been unbelievable! We have 2 skylights in our living room, and it was so loud during the night, it woke us up. Driving to work, quite a bit of flooding along the edges of the sidewalks, and the local Eel River is suppose to flood its banks by tonight. That happens almost every year, though. During the summer it goes down to almost nothing, but during the winter it floods, and it's a nice big river bed. The first time we saw it flood, we were like, WHAT?? Keep your fingers crossed for those in So Cal. They're really worried about landslides because of all the exposed ground from the fires this past year. In the Sierras, or actually anything over 4,000 feet, is suppose to get upwards of 7 feet of snow over the next day or two. Kelly - I "misspoke" in an earlier thread - a lot of the former CR trail runners are at www.kickrunners.com. Oh, I guess this is a running/workout thread, huh? Did an hour of cardio with The Firm gals. My butt cheeks are gonna be feeling it tomorrow! Happy Friday, and have a wonderful, safe weekend . . . Candy Dazzlethighs

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Did my avatar change?? No. Dang! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I clicked "Options" in the upper right-hand corner, clicked "Forum Preference," clicked "Browse," selected a picture, hit "Delete" under the current picture (which is still showing at the left), then hit "Save." No changes. Confused

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...And I do.

Oh, and as long as we are on embarassing musical confessions....I have lots of John Denver and James Taylor on my Ipod. No wonder I run slow!
            Carol, you crack me UP! Yep, I love them two, too!
              Welcome back Angie and Tim! Been having knee issues myself Tim, so I hear ya.... r2-Hope you figure the whole hip thing out. If anybody understands WE do. Very frustrating I'm sure. Carol-hope your cold goes away soon and glad you are ramping back up slowly. Kelly-Wow, what a goal for '08, a 100 miler! Leslie-Seen the news about S. Cali. Mother Nature can sure be tough. It has been unseasonably freezing here. There were actual "flurries" reported although I never saw any. Around 30 degrees with 25-30 mile per hour winds. Now get this, this weekend mid 70's! It's vacation countdown time for you..... bty-Nice hearing from you. I'm trying to ramp back up my miles as well. In and out of town the last couple of weeks have "slowed" me somewhat. Now THAT is some cold weather you are having. But you're a New Yorker, you guys are tough. Bob-Man, you can really run. Your mileage is incredible and your pace is even more incredible. How long have you been running? Have you faced any injuries during your journey? Welcome almost 40 Pammie! Mtnchk-Love the wind sock! Stay warm and keep gettin' in those miles, no matter how you do it. Joe-Yea, I'd say you are certified. You are a RUNNER! Arla-Hope you continue to rack up those miles in '08 so you can surpass your '07 mileage. Shell-So did your 18 yr. old "get it" the following morning? Melissa-What part of Florida are you in? Prayers out to the family of the missing Georgia hiker. Gawd....I hope they find her! Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

...And I do.

R2 -- I also live in a small town -- not as small as you but I understand how it can be a "world unto itself". As so many don't have health insurance -- don't know if you have any --(we don't) -- an MRI can be totally unrealistic. Probably should do some complete rest on it. Also, I don't know if you remember the Celebrex scare a couple of years ago. You might want to do some research on it before you take it. Something about it bringing on heart issues or something. Gosh, everything is a problem now-a-days. I hope that you get better soon. Sending some prayer your way! ~Shell

...And I do.

Well, Jewels, hard to know. He avoided us the whole next day by not coming home (which was just as well as I was fumin' mad!). The next day we had to go out of town so we told him to find another place to stay and we locked the house up tight and left for a couple of days. He wasn't happy about that but as DH likes to say..."he is experiencing the 'reproofs of life'". Yikes!

Queen of 3rd Place

OK, OK, it's Dallas Lustytush. I think I need bigger hair to live up to that one! r2 - load up on the anti-inflammatories, if you can tolerate it. 800 mg ibuprofen is the prescription dose. A couple weeks layoff won't hurt you a bit. Leslie - oh, just bundle up and have fun in Praque. You'll need to eat plenty of schnitzel and strudel to keep warm. My great-grandmother learned to make both when she lived in that area - yummy stuff. I'm planning on running Disney - in 09! Smile Looks like it quit pouring so I'll be able to grab some miles today without getting completely soaked. Arla

Ex runner

Dallas GlitterTower here.....Like the Dallas, like the Glitter but at 5ft. 2" I don't think I tower over anybody! Fun stuff all the same!
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                        Ok, Princess Leatherthong here (sounds more Native American than stripperish...) Arla--I'm an airline pilot. If I show up in clogs, I'll get my a$$ kicked. But thanks for the suggestion... Wink I may try some Ecco's. Does anyone know the max size your avatar can be? I've tried to reduce the pic I want to use but no use. Off to run. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Leslie - oh, just bundle up and have fun in Praque. You'll need to eat plenty of schnitzel and strudel to keep warm. Arla
                          And lots of dumplings, gravies, sweet desserts, and beer. I don't particularly care for beer Dead so that part should be interesting. (Prague is where Pilsner was born, aka Budweiser). I'll have to be diligent to not gain any extra pounds!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Oh Leslie! Just come hang out w/me or Brian for a few days before ya fly out & "acclimate" to crisper weather! Evil grin Other than that...I'll relay some really great advice I got some years ago...."Go ahead & overdress ~ just do it in layers!! You can always take something off, whereas, if you're underdressed, there's really not much you can do about it." Ref CA storm: we're prepping to get hit by that one too ~ as it moves Eastward.....& I heard that some parts of the Sierra's could be looking at up to 10+ FEET! Shocked ~ I'll be watching this one develop Undecided Pretty balmy for now @ 51*F/33%!! but the mtn range is looking dark & ominous.....aaahhhkkk! run whilst ya can! Wink 6.56 snow & slush challenged Mairead miles to the dogpark (45min play break) & back @ avg 15ish pc. Oh yeah, Heidi GlitterKiss
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

It's come to my attention that the custom here at RA is to put groups such as ours in the "User Groups" section rather than here on the general, "All About Running" forum. My thoughts on this are: pro: it's poor form not to adopt the already-existing customs con: I like having us in the Running 101 forum since it's like putting out the welcome mat for newbies Anyone else? Arla

Ex runner

btb1490

Congrats on making it to another Friday! Sending good luck wishes to those out west with the wild weather. Be safe! Cindy, there is no way you have an 8 year old granddaughter! You look way too young for that! Jim, sorry about the continues hip issues. As others have said, pursue a proper diagnosis if you can. Get that MRI or bone scan since xrays aren't always great at diagnosing sfx's. And I will echo the suggestions to back off the running and do some cross training till you find out what's going on. A few weeks of backing off now may save you much more grief in the future. Joe, welcome to the certifiable club! Isn't it great? Brian, it's that wind that can make or break you when it's cold. +7 isn't too bad if there's no wind out there. Time to dig out the shorts again for next week though! Leslie, isn't that normal weather for Prague for this time of the year? Sounds like your suitcases will be bulging with all the warm clothes you'll need. I'm sure the forecast will change a dozen times between now and next week, hopefully for the better! Jewels, nice pseudonym! Don't talk to me about injuries, this has been the year from hell for me. Last year I decided to take my running to the next level, but in order to do so I needed to have a knee operation to take care of something that I've had all my life that wasn't running related. Since the operation, it's been one related thing after another. Things were going well until just this past weekend, and once again I'm back on the disabled list. I'm supposed to be running Disney next weekend, but that looks doubtful at this point. Carol, why are John Denver and JT embarassing? We're talking classics! Arla, if you are thinking of doing the Goofy Challenge in '09, it sells out usually by the end February, so plan accordingly. No working out for me today. Lots of ice and Advil and hoping for a miracle that things resolve by next weekend. Speaking of weekends, have a great one everyone! Smile -Bob