Need a Wireless Router Suggestion (Read 158 times)

Prince of Fatness

Only three wired connections, though.  Might be able to make that work; I've currently got the receiver wired to the router, but I really don't think I've done anything with that.

A couple of options if you really like everything else that the router provides.

1) Buy a hub.  Should be able to get one for $50 or less.  A 4 port hub would do the trick.

2) If your entertainment center has USB ports it may be possible to purchase one or more USB wireless adapters for it.

Just some ideas.

Not at it at all. 

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

A couple of options if you really like everything else that the router provides.

1) Buy a hub.  Should be able to get one for $50 or less.  A 4 port hub would do the trick.

2) If your entertainment center has USB ports it may be possible to purchase one or more USB wireless adapters for it.

Just some ideas.

That's true.  And actually, one of the devices using an ethernet port is an Apple TV, which has Wifi built in (the wired connection seems faster than Wifi).

Are hubs as easy to set up as, say, a USB hub?  Or will I need to change some setting or another on the devices connecting to it?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Prince of Fatness

Are hubs as easy to set up as, say, a USB hub?  Or will I need to change some setting or another on the devices connecting to it?

No just plug a cable from the router into it (may be a specific port for that) and connect your devices to the other ports.  It also requires power of course.

MTA: You could also use a wireless bridge for the same purpose.  This would allow you to have your entertainment center physically located in a place separate from where your modem from your ISP is.

Not at it at all. 

Get a Netgear N900, I have one and I love it. I stream video over the 5 Ghz wireless with no problem and I have an external HDD hooked to it for backup of my server and our laptops. B & H has them for 59.99, I paid over a hundred when I bought mine right after they came out. Netgears are well worth the money in my opinion.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Jeff

MTA: here is a list of what I have hooked to my router:

2 smart phones

A nook

an android tablet

2 laptops

a 1 RU server running FreeNAS(wired)

A raspberryPi running RaspBMC(wired)

A raspberryPi running Archlinux

HP wireless printer

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Get a Netgear N900, I have one and I love it. I stream video over the 5 Ghz wireless with no problem and I have an external HDD hooked to it for backup of my server and our laptops. B & H has them for 59.99, I paid over a hundred when I bought mine right after they came out. Netgears are well worth the money in my opinion.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Jeff

Umm...that B&H link appears to be a Wifi adapter, that plugs into a laptop.  I did find a Netgear N900 router on Amazon, though, and the price isn't too bad.  Lotta 1-star reviews, though.

MTA: I do like the idea of that "Netgear Genie" app.  Our ISP is...not as reliable as I'd like, and it sounds like that would allow me to quickly tell if the problems are on their end or mine (for a long time now, I've thought they were dropping the ball, when apparently it was my router).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I just clicked the link and it took me to the wireless router, did I miss understand?

Bad link, sorry for that. Not sure how I got that far off. My mistake. Looks like they are still over a hundred dollars but I feel they are well worth it. Mine has been up for a few years with no issues.

Sorry for the confusion!

Jeff

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Just got off the phone with the ISP...he had just come back from looking at our tower (radio internet...yeah, I know), and he said one of the cables was unplugged!  So...I guess my current router might be fine, after all!

Though I'm now perplexed as to the results of my experiment that seemed to indicate the router was the problem.  I was getting very slow, erratic internet connections on my laptop and phone, and had been for several nights.  So last night, I plugged the laptop directly into the "modem" (not exactly sure what else to call the thing the tower goes into), and had a strong, fast connection.  At least for the few seconds I had it plugged in.

So...not sure why that would have been the case if something was unplugged between the receiver on the tower and the modem.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Bad link, sorry for that. Not sure how I got that far off. My mistake. Looks like they are still over a hundred dollars but I feel they are well worth it. Mine has been up for a few years with no issues.

Sorry for the confusion!

Jeff

No sweat, I knew what you meant!  Thanks for the info on that router.

NP! And again sorry for the confusion!!

Jeff

kcam

That DeWalt is totally inappropriate in this thread ... he said he wants WIRELESS.  This one'll fit the bill:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That DeWalt is totally inappropriate in this thread ... he said he wants WIRELESS.  This one'll fit the bill:

Dang, mine is wired?  Google lied to me then.

Marylander

Huh, that doesn't seem like it'd work that well as routers use a lot of juice but it's a PC so, who knows? Maybe just for quick jobs at remote sites?

OP, I don't know if you've solved your router problems (sounds like you did) but I just bought a Buffalo WZR-1750DHP 802.11AC router. It cheap for 802.11AC (not top end performance but close to half the price of the high performing models). The extra speed for newer wireless devices (for us this is just the smartphones in the house) is very nice. I also replaced all the switches (have 3 around the house) and am now on gigabit ethernet for the wired connections. It's crazy fast as compared to the old 10/100 setup we had.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I have a netgear one. Its black with a pretty blue light on the side. We stream TV, use a couple phones, laptop, kindles, etc on it. Works great. It replaced a Belkin that was a ridiculous POS that we had to call tech support on every 3-6 months. Netgear was plug in and go.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

.... Its black with a pretty blue light on the side....

I heard that red lights are faster.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.