Ibuprofen before running: bad, but how bad? (Read 10739 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

acetaminophen is from a very different drug class than ibuprofen and should be safe at normal doses. BTW, my brother lives in Prospect Heights.
    No kidding? Does he run? I'm over there all the time! VERY close to where I live (as you obviously know).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

He runs some. He plays hockey and does all sort so other sports. He does not race. This is his: http://www.boomboomnyc.com/ . I get up to visit from time to time and run in your neck of he woods. For example: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/259c5652820340638512f715ed2ff6c7/workouts/2784388a93d5448381472ad4845bdb83
      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I think my kidneys thank Trent. I really avoid overdoing it on the "vitamin I," and only a single 200mg pill at a time.
        +1. Went from 800mg 2x a day, every day (years of wrist tendonitis) to nothing except 200mg when TOM renders me in the fetal position (and I sure as heck don't run those days). MTA: My ortho suggested I could use IB to combat the pain of my broken knuckle, but I have not caved. Training is more important than comfort. Thanks, Trent.

Chris
        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I'm sorry I am a little slooooow. IBU bad but Tylonel good for runners. Before and after?
            2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm sorry I am a little slooooow. IBU bad but Tylonel good for runners. Before and after?
            Yep.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Trent, your advice on meds = great. Your advice on bagels = spot on. +1 the pumpernickel!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Queen of 3rd Place

But don't overdo the tylenol. It's hepatotoxic. Just sayin'... Might not want to wash it down with a margarita Tongue Arla

Ex runner

xor

I just can't get my mouth around a tal bagel. I have to stick with the smal ones.

jules2

One thing I noticed was that when I took ibruprofen my heart rate seemed to drop.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

+1. Went from 800mg 2x a day, every day (years of wrist tendonitis) to nothing except 200mg when TOM renders me in the fetal position (and I sure as heck don't run those days). MTA: My ortho suggested I could use IB to combat the pain of my broken knuckle, but I have not caved. Training is more important than comfort. Thanks, Trent.
                      If your pain is something localized and close to the skin (like, say, a wrist or knuckle) topical ibuprofen will allow you to use much less, and theoretically not have much of it get into your kidneys (I don't know of any studies on this, but it seems likely). I only know of one study on the stuff at all, a small British one that basically boiled down to "huh, it works. And no one's died yet." Use at your own risk, YMMV, no warranty express or implied, this offer not valid in certain areas....

Jazz hands!

Bringing this question up again--how long after taking Ibu. is it okay to run?

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

6-24 hours after a long run or a hot run.

Jazz hands!

6-24 hours after a long run or a hot run.

What about the other way around--Vitamin I in the morning, running in the evening? I woke up with an awful headache this morning and am trying to figure out if I'm OK to run 11 at 6pm.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Experts say 24 hours before a run.  Unless you are on a prescription being monitored by your doctor.  If you are well hydrated and it is cool out, you may be okay.