How to break the 6 min mile? (Read 64 times)

Runninman

As a new runner this appears to be a lofty but possibly attainable goal for me. I haven’t yet tried running a single mile for just speed but I suspect I’d be around the 7 min mark. 

There is a charity mile event this spring which gave me the thought to set a training schedule for a goal to achieve during that race.  Can anyone provide training tips or advice to reach my goal?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looking at your log, you need to be more consistent and slow down most of your runs. A tempo run once a week is fine and maybe add one interval workout a week. Also increase your mileage gradually.  The mile is still more an aerobic event than anaerobic, so endurance is important. You build endurance with longer, slower runs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Run lots of easy miles. 
        do speed work once or twice a week at paces correct for your abilities. 
        run time trials every five months to check your fitness. 

without much specific information it’s hard to provide very detailed information. I broke the 6 minute mile one time during marathon training.  I wouldn’t suggest you train for a marathon to run a fast mile though. It took me a few years of running to get this fast once.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

This is the iconic and defining RA 6 min mile thread, part of the Michigan Flyer series of threads and a Best of RA nominee:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a64e2dcc9cc6404b8fa485cb9da0841f/0?pgctx=057DAlCTmRDFbwRYWl3Va0m1IX0

If you have a few days, it's (almost) endless entertainment.

ETA: there is some useful advice in there as well...mostly, run more.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          zebano

One of the great joys of a hard mile is that unlike longer races, recovery from such an effort is pretty minimal. You can race a mile a couple times a week if you really want to (I wouldn't necessarily advice this). Oher that that what everyone else said is correct: run a bunch, mostly slow with a few faster efforts here and there and a long run every other week or so (long being relative to what you normally do).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

So, is there some magic way to print (or download) an entire thread? Looks like some good sit-down-with-a-coffee-or-beer reading material. [Relevant to my goals/fitness.] --Thanks, Christine

This is the iconic and defining RA 6 min mile thread, part of the Michigan Flyer series of threads and a Best of RA nominee:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a64e2dcc9cc6404b8fa485cb9da0841f/0?pgctx=057DAlCTmRDFbwRYWl3Va0m1IX0

If you have a few days, it's (almost) endless entertainment.

ETA: there is some useful advice in there as well...mostly, run more.

Nina Murphy

To break a 6-minute mile, you will need to improve your running speed and endurance. Here are some tips to help you achieve this goal:

1. Incorporate speed work into your training: This can include intervals, tempo runs, and fartleks. These workouts will help you increase your speed and endurance.

2. Increase your mileage: The more you run, the better your endurance will become. Gradually increase your weekly mileage to help your body adapt to the demands of running.

3. Focus on proper form: Good running form can help you run more efficiently and prevent injuries. Make sure you are landing on your midfoot, keeping your torso upright, and swinging your arms naturally.

4. Strength train: Incorporate exercises that strengthen your legs and core, such as squats, lunges, and planks. This will help you run faster and with more stability.running.

5. Rest and recover: Adequate rest and recovery is essential for improving your running performance. Make sure to get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet, and take rest days when needed.