Forum shy (Read 741 times)

Gaby

wake me up!

I started running a bit over a year ago.....read the forums but it is hard for me to share I run my first Marathon last year. I never stopped running. I am convinced this is the best I have done for me ever! I am training for Chicago this October. I am a wife, work full time and have two kids. Lately I have been receiving open discouragement from my family. Any advice in how to deal with this negativity??? Not running is not an option Thanks my friends
      First - WELCOME! This is a great site, and has alot of really good people who are willing to share their experiences, so use us often! This issue has been discussed before, but I couldn't find that thread....so here's my 2 cents: Try not to let the running take aaway from family activities. Plan around the other commitments with them. Don't talk about running; make just it something else you do, just like going to work or the store. Limit the discussions (except here at the RA forums, that what we're here for!). Make sure the running is not taking over your life - moderation is key. If you do have to limit the number of times per week - make each run count. When I trained for my first marathon 3 years ago, my kids were just old enough to leave alone for an hour while I went out running. I was on a schedule for only 3 or 4 times each week, with the longest of those on the weekend. And if something comes up and you can't get a scheduled/planned run in, don't make a big deal of it. Hope these help! I'm sure others will chime in!
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Dog-Love

Sure...I'll chime in. I have 2 kids and have been running for years. I am training for an Oct marathon and when I hear a bit of disgruntled words from my hubby about me crawling out of bed in the morning for a long run, I don't dwell on it...I tell my family that my runs are as important as their meals and we all should work together so that we are meeting our needs. I only run 4 x week which is just plenty for this 48 yr old body. Make them count! I don't really feel the time I put towards running interferes with my family. And like landy said...missing a run isn't the end of the world, just fit it in later. I am not planning on winning my fall marathon. Wink
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Gaby

wake me up!

Thank you so very much I feel better already!
          Gaby

wake me up!

Thank you so very much I feel better already!
            I think that this place RA will be lots of fun to play! thanks again
            Gaby

wake me up!

Sure...I'll chime in. I have 2 kids and have been running for years. I am training for an Oct marathon and when I hear a bit of disgruntled words from my hubby about me crawling out of bed in the morning for a long run, I don't dwell on it...I tell my family that my runs are as important as their meals and we all should work together so that we are meeting our needs. I only run 4 x week which is just plenty for this 48 yr old body. Make them count! I don't really feel the time I put towards running interferes with my family. And like landy said...missing a run isn't the end of the world, just fit it in later. I am not planning on winning my fall marathon. Wink
              That's cool, if mom does not run, mon does not cook! love it!