I think our pee-pee kitty might really be ill (Read 780 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gus...our kitty who was prescribed low-dose Valium to see if it would help with his litterbox issues, which appear to be anxiety-driven (most likely due to many outside strays threatening his territory), has taken a turn for the worse. The first 12-24 hours on the drug he seemed fine--quiet, but relaxed and content. We stopped after last night's dose, however (he had only 3 doses, total). He has gone from merely quiet to nearly non-responsive. He has not eaten in over 24 hours and we are squirting water into his mouth to at least keep him hydrated. Unless he shows marked improvement overnight we will be taking him to the vet in the AM. Apparently valium can cause liver failure in a small percentage of cats--I am very afraid that this is what is happening. From what I have read it typically happens after only a day or two, if it's going to happen...which is exactly what I think we may be witnessing. This isn't how I wanted to say goodbye to my kitty. At least he doesn't appear to be in any pain... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, my! There are all-night animal hospitals around here. "Nearly non-responsive" would qualify as an animal emergency in my book! You might want to consider looking for one.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have an appt at 10:40. He was ok during the night. Still just sleeping a lot...peed in our bedroom this AM (so he can't be *too* dehydrated, at least). If we have an all-night animal hospital it would be at least 30 minutes away, but I'm pretty certain there aren't any--at least none that I've ever heard of. I have a really bad feeling that it's his liver. A friend of mine had a kitty about the same age who was also bad about peeing in the house. When her kitty's liver went it was just like this. I think her cat actually had liver cancer, though. In Gus' case it would probably have been the Valium that set things off. It's so bittersweet if this is the end. On one hand I will be somewhat relieved, since his inappropriate urination has been a problem for 3-4 years and if we ever want to sell this stupid house we're in we need to not have it reeking of cat (thank heaven for Nature's Miracle!)...but he's a really smart, nice, sweet, loving cat with a funny personality--I will really miss that. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Phew! The vet says he's gonna be OK. Apparently he is just hypersensitive to the valium, so he's cutting back Gus' dose to 1 half pill/day. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

How's he doing? Any updates? Hope he's doing/feeling better!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He's still not eating (3 days since his last meal), but we did get him to nibble a teeny bit on some canned tuna and diced turkey breast last night--he is drinking well. He's very happy, though. He started purring last night, so the drugs seem to be wearing off...but boy is he ever sensitive to them. I think I will run to PetSmart in a bit to see about buying some kitten formula to "force feed" him (with an eye-dropper) if we cannot convince him to drink or eat anything else with some calories and nutrients. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Glad to hear he's doing better! I think the formula is a clever idea, and it should help keep him hydrated too. My understanding is that kitties can live easily a week without eating... but not so for drinking. Kind of like people, I guess. Yes, do keep an eye on him to make sure he keeps peeing! (Even if it's not where you'd like. Roll eyes ) Good luck to the both of you!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He's been drinking and peeing very well--not always where he should, but I think that's partly because he is still pretty sleepy and groggy from the Valium...nearly 4 days after his last dose. But, man...he is so happy. He's been such a purr-box, just has very little interest in food. He's had a few sips of the cat formula (I think it's kind of like Ensure) and a few treats, but wants nothing to do with cat food or even canned tuna (though he did lick a little bit of that). k

~ Sarah Kay