Run Asics Liverpool 10k Report (Read 657 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

WJust this minute got back from the race, and it certainly was an experience. My friend and I arrived at the venue with about an hour to spare so we sat in the car for a while and chilled out. With about 30 miutes to go we decided that we would go out to warm up.....yet our plan was interruptedunexpectedly. A lady who was running at the side of the parked cars, was hit by a car and she flew into our car. We had to remain there, as she was laid down in our car, until ambulance arrived. With about 10 miutes to go we managed to warm up. We started at the front, about 5 lines back with the elite runners so to get a good start as there were about 3000 runners. Mile 1: 6:08. This felt pretty hardwork actually and I knew that I wasnt going to have a good race. Mile 2: 6:13. I knew now that my past week race and my hard track sessions had tired my legs and I was at this stage actually considering slowing to a trot, and just getting round. Mile 3. 6:46. This was a really tough mile for me, and I was disappointed with the split as my legs simply just would not go any faster. Mile 4. 6:25. Upped the Tempo a little and managed to do a decent mile, and still overally at sub 40 pace. Mile 5. 6:14. I pulled a fast mile out of the bag, being spurred along by another racer. Mile 6. 6:38. Very hard mile and legs were practically not moving. Still I knew that the finish was near. 0.36 miles. 6:12 pace. Dejected as I crossed the line in 40:40. The course according to my Garmin and a few others measuring long, so didnt go under 40. Still, with hindsight I knew my legs were knackered from hard training. Simply put, I am not able to perform to my best with two 10ks back to back. I am having a week off racing this week, doing plenty of slow MAF miles to help a little with my stamina ready for a race in 2 weeks again. Will post offical positioning etc when results are out.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

A lady who was running at the side of the parked cars, was hit by a car and she flew into our car. We had to remain there, as she was laid down in our car, until ambulance arrived. The course according to my Garmin and a few others measuring long, so didnt go under 40.
      OMG!! Shocked How badly was she injured? Course: Was the course certified? Do yall have certified races? I agree two back to back 10k's would be tough to perform at your best. Better luck next time Eddy.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

How nice of them to name a race after me. Tough day at the office.... You are generally not going to run two good 10ks when there's a track session thrown in. Still, it's not that bad of a time... just think, you could have finished in 41 mins...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Slow-smooth-fast

I was 86th out of a field of 2100 so not too bad.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Tough one Eddy, as you say probably a little too much hard work between the 2 races, you'll bounce back under 40 next time though.
            gh5js

There appealing for witnesses for that - thought I'd let you know: http://www.runliverpool.org.uk/site3.aspx

Slow-smooth-fast

I have just contacted them, thanks for that.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Nice job. Every race teaches more eh? Hope the lady was okay. My new goal, work "knackered" into my vocabulary.
                  Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    Training the week of race teaches more. I'd pay closer attention to what others are doing the week of race. You ran much, to much intensity.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Slow-smooth-fast

Training the week of race teaches more. I'd pay closer attention to what others are doing the week of race. You ran much, to much intensity.
                      Seriously PRED, care to shed more light on this for me please?thanks.

Eddy, pRED is saying 10 miles of fartlek and track training at a high intensity is too much in the week following a race, with a race to come the following weekend. 3 miles of fartlek or a short tempo run would have been more suitable, or in fact just easy running in a week between races.
                          Eddy, pRED is saying 10 miles of fartlek and track training at a high intensity is too much in the week following a race, with a race to come the following weekend. 3 miles of fartlek or a short tempo run would have been more suitable, or in fact just easy running in a week between races.
                          DITTO! Thanks.

Ricky