Does running help with wanting to slim down? (Read 1390 times)

Anii123456789

I am an already smaller person, but i want to tone up and slim down belly fat. I've been running and combing small amounts of weight training, and I just wanted to know if I should run more to slim down, or do smaller distance with a higher intensity, or a longer distance at a lower intensity? Any post run/workout snack suggestions help too. Thank you so much! 

Feeling the growl again

Slimming down = burning more calories = running more miles.  Usually this requires you to slow down.

Faster running has its place, but if sheer weight loss is your goal you need to focus on distance.

You don't need gimmicky food after you run.  Particularly if you are trying to lose fat you don't want to use running as an excuse to eat more.  Any healthy snack (ie a banana, apple) is fine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

One other thing to consider is 'doubles' - running a few miles in the morning, then a few miles in the evening, rather than one longer run.

Apparently working out puts your metabolism into over-drive for up to 14hrs.  'Doubles' should have you covered for the whole day.

Otherwise, what Spaniel said.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Use the search function and peek in the weight loss group and you'll find lots of advice. I won't repeat it but I'll offer one bit of advice that's helped me: Don't train for aesthetics. Train for performance. 

Pick some performance goals. A 5K (or some other race distance) goal time, a weekly mileage goal, being able to squat xx lbs for xx reps, x chin ups. Then build towards them. I just think it's much more fun to train for a performance-related goal. It keeps you motivated and building towards something rather than just watching the scale or mirror. But believe me, when you start hitting the performance goals, the aesthetics will come along for the ride. 

#artbydmcbride

running a little more, eating smaller portions, and some core workouts (crunches and planks)

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Run More Eat Less really does work.  But beware -- running more can stoke your appetite, so don't mistake that famished feeling after running as a license to eat everything (note the Eat Less).  Some people actually gain weight training for marathons because they overeat as a result of the increased appetite.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Some people actually gain weight training for marathons because they overeat as a result of the increased appetite.

Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maniac

Run More Eat Less really does work.  But beware -- running more can stoke your appetite, so don't mistake that famished feeling after running as a license to eat everything (note the Eat Less).  Some people actually gain weight training for marathons because they overeat as a result of the increased appetite.

Guilty

On the flipside, I think 1/2 marathons are like the best weight-loss plan ever.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Guilty here too.  I did learn to control the beast in my belly by eating healthy protein more often.  I ate a lot of hard boiled eggs.  Seemed to do the trick for me.  Protein keeps you full longer as well as lots of water.