Digital camera (Read 783 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My 10 year old kiddo is going to camp for the Summer.  She could be a bit more responsible.  I want to get her a CHEAP digital camera that will take adequate pictures.  The camera must use conventional batteries because there are no plugs in the cabins for recharging (don't get me started).
    Thoughts?

Dave

How cheap is cheap, Trent?

For just under $80 refurbished, it's hard to beat the Canon A580 for picture quality.  Takes standard AA batteries.

<a>http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0012YA4YK/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1243022787&sr=1-1</a>

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

My 10 year old kiddo is going to camp for the Summer.  She could be a bit more responsible.  I want to get her a CHEAP digital camera that will take adequate pictures.  The camera must use conventional batteries because there are no plugs in the cabins for recharging (don't get me started).
        Thoughts
        Target has a cheapo Nikon on sale this week...got it for my soon to be 10 year old DD....

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Best Present Ever

My kids got disney "pix" cameras from their grandmother.  They're cheap -- about $20 I think, use AA batteries, and are good enough for them (since they're 5 and 8).  Don't know if that's too cheap for what you want, though.
          AnneCA

For just under $80 refurbished, it's hard to beat the Canon A580 for picture quality.  Takes standard AA batteries.

+1.  We passed our old A580 on to the 6-year old. 

And, hey, what camp needs outlets?  It's camp!   There are no outlets in camp!

First of all I know nothing about cameras so I can't comment on the quality.

Polariod a530 Silver 5MP - $37

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Polaroid-a530-Silver-5MP-Digital-Camera-Refurbished/3942277/product.html

FUJIFILM FinePix A 850 8.1 MP 2.5" 154K LCD 3X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830122207

Not sure how low you want...  I'm picking out brands I actually heard of.

Here's an example of a CHEAP camera but probably crap.

DC2100 1.3MP (3.1MP Interpolated) Digital/PC Camera (Silver)

Hawt and sexy

I'm touching your pants.

Canon PowerShot with image stabilization (which is important imo because kids don't have very steady hands).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580526-REG/Canon_3209B001_PowerShot_A1000_IS_Digital.html

$129.99

Dave

HERE

Add rechargeable batteries and go...

That is child abuse. 

MTA:  And a high price to pay for cute.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

If you have freecycle lists in your area, I see lots of "wanted digicam" posts that are fulfilled.  Lots of older but very serviceable cameras in drawers, because they keep adding more MP every year.  Free is cheap, and it doesn't hurt to ask.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

...---...

Trent - as a part time photog, just go to an electronics store, get something in your budget/befitting a 10 yr old who could be more responsible (maybe the 6 mega pixel range (lower resolution = better price), doesn't matter the brand. The small "point and shoots" are about the same. 6 Mpixels will produce good shots in auto mode.

I prefer Sony.

MTA: pick one that will take a reasonably inexpensive memory/data card.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Elly.

Hi Trent;

I saw a lot of little point and shoots on Amazon.com.  Some of the smaller ones (7 megapixels) were under $100.00.  Look at the little Canon Powershots.  Also, I believe those Powershots will take regular batteries and rechargeables. 

Anyway, I hope she as fun and takes lots of pictures!  Ask her to concentrate on pictures of monkeys. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Are you considering upgrading your camera, or have an old one lying around? Hand-me-downs are great cameras for kids, then you also won't get too upset if it breaks.

It's a little different situation, but our 4 year old son kept saying he wanted to use our camera (which wasn't going to happen).  We realized we had an old one stuffed away, so gave him old 2mp Sony and he LOVES it.  He's taken about 1,000 pictures in the last 4 months.  Kind of neat to see the progression from lots of blurry/black pictures to some rather extraordinary shots w/ unique perspective. 
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All our old cameras have rechargable batteries, which won't fly at camp since they have no outlets.