Best race to BQ? (Read 1104 times)

Your opinion, please Big grin
    2009: BQ?
    Wingz

Professional Noob

The one in which you run the fastest... Clowning around

Roads were made for journeys...

Chicago and Green Bay are both very flat. I've heard the one in Austin claim that you get a free entrant into next year's race if you don't run a PR but I looked at their course on marathonguide.com and it didn't seem like a flat one. Also, Marine Corps Marathon looks pretty flat with the only hills being in the first five miles and the last 1/2 mile. EDIT - Some links to the elevation charts (and I lose at HTML coding or I'd make those links clickable...sorry): Green Bay: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=1089080518 Chicago: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=67071007 Marine Corps: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=41071028 Austin: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=5080217

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Grand Rapids is also very flat and a very scenic, well-organized, fun race. I will be running the full for the first time next Oct. I've done the half the last 2 years. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

The basic factors for a BQ race are: A relatively flat course, a small or medium-sized race so you're not held up by crowds, predictably cool weather, and obviously it must be a certified course. The BAA has this list of popular qualifying races on their website: http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMarathon/Qualifying.asp I would add the Cincinnati Flying Pig and Chickamauga Battlefield Marathons to that list, from personal experience (but still haven't BQed).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mikeymike

Baystate.

Runners run

Thanks, everyone. Mike, I've heard/ read that Baystate is a great marathon to BQ (I think it was designed with that in mind), but I've also heard that it's very industrial (??). Lank, I don't know HOW I forgot about MCM. I ran it two years ago and really loved the course. It is decently flat, too. PLUS it's a short Metro ride from my parent's house (in Silver Spring, which is only a 45 min drive from where we live, in Baltimore) so we don't have to spend any money on airfare or accomodations (which is huge for us right now). And they have pace groups, which I really like. It's funny that I was looking all over the country for a race... and will probably end up doing the marathon in my back yard. Tongue
                mikeymike

Mike, I've heard/ read that Baystate is a great marathon to BQ (I think it was designed with that in mind), but I've also heard that it's very industrial (??).
                  It's not the prettiest course, but it's not that bad either. It starts in downtown Lowell--and parts of that city are kinda ugly--but a lot of it is right along the Merrimack River which is nice. The north/west section of the course is actually kind of pretty. It's a 2-loop course with hardly any road crossings and it finishes in a nice minor league baseball stadium. The only "hills" are a few bridges. Normally it's a very low key race and a high percentage of people are there to try and qualify for Boston. In 2008 it will also be the USATF NE Grand Prix Championships, which will draw a slightly bigger, faster crowd. To me it's a no brainer because I live in MA. It's not really a race I'd think of travelling to unless my main goal was to BQ and I thought I would be right on the edge. It's tough to beat in that regard. I am 2 for 2 there. Chicago might be a faster course but then you have to deal with 45,000 other runners and logistics from hell. Baystate will have maybe a thousand runners, even with the Grand Prix. MTA: But if I were you, I'd probably run Marine Corps or something local. There's a lot to be said for racing near home.

Runners run

Lank, I don't know HOW I forgot about MCM. I ran it two years ago and really loved the course. It is decently flat, too. PLUS it's a short Metro ride from my parent's house (in Silver Spring, which is only a 45 min drive from where we live, in Baltimore) so we don't have to spend any money on airfare or accomodations (which is huge for us right now). And they have pace groups, which I really like. It's funny that I was looking all over the country for a race... and will probably end up doing the marathon in my back yard. Tongue
                    MCM is scheduled to be my first marathon so if I can make it through my training I may ask for your advice once we get closer to the date on where to stay and all that fun stuff. I'm not familiar with the DC area at all.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Some people have said Columbus... though, not this person. At least not this year. Cry
                      t_runner

Some people have said Columbus... though, not this person. At least not this year. Cry
                        Columbus was kind to me in 2005.. course is definitely good, and it's a bit less crowded than, say, Chicago... (they cap at 10,000, although I think there were around 6K the year I did it, so it may have gotten larger since) I PR'd by 30 minutes, and BQ'd at 3:40:06.. never have seen that side of 4 since! Hopefully '08.
                        btb1490

I'm partial to the Steamtown Marathon in PA in October. Besides being a fast course, it also is a great race. http://www.steamtownmarathon.com/
                            I'm partial to the Steamtown Marathon in PA in October. Besides being a fast course, it also is a great race. http://www.steamtownmarathon.com/
                            I have to agree with Bob!!! AWESOME AWESOME marathon to qualify at if that is your top goal! If your top goal is to have fun and enjoy it's definetly the marathon for that as well! This is one marathon I could see myself doing every year if possible!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I have to agree with Bob!!! AWESOME AWESOME marathon to qualify at if that is your top goal! If your top goal is to have fun and enjoy it's definetly the marathon for that as well! This is one marathon I could see myself doing every year if possible!!
                              Sad My friend's wedding is on October 11 ... damn, this does look like a good course. Stupid fall weddings! Tongue
                                Sad My friend's wedding is on October 11 ... damn, this does look like a good course. Stupid fall weddings! Tongue
                                That's too bad. There may be a reunion at Steamtown this year with at least 3 RA folks there.
                                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com