The Michigan (Read 124 times)

This is for the advanced runners who have run this workout.  We were recently prescribed this for one of our training runs, and i didn't even last.  I managed to finish the 800 and dropped out.

For those that know, the Michigan is:

1600m 5k pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

1200m 5k+ pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

800m 5k++ pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

400m 5k +++ pace

I've seen many variations but this is the one that we were given.  Curious to know thoughts?  We did it all on the track, but I saw that it's supposed to be done with the tempo portion on the road and some have listed a recovery in between intervals (which i don't think is part of the workout and not what i want).  Any thoughts on this workout and if I'm running it right?  It was passed down by one of the Elite Coaches for our workout (I train with Elite Masters runners that are much faster than me).

Thanks!

HermosaBoy

1600m 5k pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

1200m 5k+ pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

800m 5k++ pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

400m 5k +++ pace

What do the +, ++ and +++ indicate?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

Since you said all was on track

1600+1600+1200+1600+800+1600+400 = 8,800 meters

* 4800 @ 10K Race Pace

* 4000 @ 5k Race Pace

Without a rest interval of at least 30 seconds it does not make logical sense to me if done at true all out "Race" paces.  Running 88% of the distance of a 10K with 40% of a 10K at 5k pace ...

So basically higher than the race effort of an actual 10K race with the 5k surges thrown in.  It should be harder than an actual 10k race at full effort ... if that is even possible.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I assumed faster than 5k and much faster than 5k pace

What do the +, ++ and +++ indicate?

BeeRunB

1600m 5k pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

1200m 5k+ pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

800m 5k++ pace

1 mile Tempo 10k pace

400m 5k +++ pace

This is 5.5 miles at 10k (6.2 miles) race pace or better with no rest. What is the purpose of such a workout? What does it do that just running just the 5k pace intervals with actual rest in between won't do?

https://www.michigandaily.com/content/completing-michigan-no-easy-task-m-runners

I wouldn't do workouts that elite college runners can't even finish. It doesn't make sense for me.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              xhristopher

Looks more like a test than training.

How are you defining tempo pace? I believe it's commonly agreed upon that tempo / lactate-threshold (LT) is the pace you could run for an hour? My tempo pace and 10K pace are two very different things. Are you an hour 10K runner or were you running your tempo pace too fast?

I think "adjusted" is the key word in that article. Maybe bump everything up a little.

5k -> 10k pace for example.. or run the miles at MP.

https://www.michigandaily.com/content/completing-michigan-no-easy-task-m-runners

I wouldn't do workouts that elite college runners can't even finish. It doesn't make sense for me.

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

DaBurger

I think "adjusted" is the key word in that article. Maybe bump everything up a little.

5k -> 10k pace for example.. or run the miles at MP.

The Michigan is supposed to be a VO2 max/alternation workout.  Rather than slowing the paces down, it's probably better in this case to reduce the volume.

I'd suggest an easier alternative like:

1200m @ 5k

mile @10k-10 mile (slowing down the recovery a bit seems reasonable)

800m @ 3k

mile @10k-10 mile

400m @ mile pace

This assumes that you've got training to support this kind of work.

MTA: Also that article casually mentions sophomore Nick Willis, who's now a multiple time Olympic medalist at 1500m.  This isn't an easy workout.

Know thyself.

kilkee

runktrun

I've successfully done this when I was really fit and I thought it was beneficial gearing up for 10k-half races.  Sadly, I blew up my hammies shortly after that (due to a torn hip labrum) and can't vouch for race-day impact, but continued to post decent times despite being hobbled.

The key is to run the 1600 floats at an HONEST tempo pace and keep the hard reps in check.  Prior to this, I ran a 10mi PR in 58:36, so like 5:53 pace for almost an hour = tempo.  I ran my 1600m floats in 5:58, and they actually felt relaxed.  I was in 17:30 5k shape at this time, so 1600 in 5:40 wasn't too bad.  Here are my notes from the workout; you can see I modified it a bit/forgot what I was supposed to be doing:

WU
                      1600 @ 5k (5:40)
                      1600 cruise (5:58)
                      800 @ 3k (2:45)
                      1600 cruise
                      400 hard (:78)
                      1600 cruise
                      400 hard (:78)
                      800 cruise
                      CD

The basic premise to hold a moderate effort pace in between harder, but not all-out, efforts.  It will help you grind through rough patches in a 10mi or half by giving you some VO2max gains with a solid aerobic base.  I would not recommend this workout to beginner or low mileage runners.  If you have to take a rest interval between reps, then I would just pick a different workout and stick with something simpler, like reps at 5k pace with short recovery.  Taking the tempo miles off the track would be good, too, and run the tempo miles by effort (and not risk pushing too hard past tempo pace).

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DoppleBock

I was reading this as 10k pace and not LAT pace ... 2 different things, if it is meant to be at LAT (1 Hour) pace - It makes sense to me.

DaBurger

Well if you believe the article and they were running 4:32 for the recovery, that's definitely (28:00) 10k pace...

I agree that 1 hour race pace makes more sense for most people if you're doing the full volume.  (And if your 1 hour race pace is 10k pace, you should NOT be trying this workout)

Know thyself.

BeeRunB

Thanks for the article. It just seems like such a workout is about equal to running at least a 10k race all-out, probably more stress than that. Using RunKevinRun's info, it's 3 miles at 10k pace, and 4k at 5k pace or better.  Like a tune-up race, I guess. Throwing something like this in at the wrong time could be more detrimental than helpful for a rolypoly amateur shuffling runner like me.  I think there is a mental strength gain from such running games as The Michigan. Just not sure it does anything more for the anaerobic muscle fibers than a simple 5k pace interval session would.

SMART Approach

That is a crazy work out! I have always been a believer of training vs straining. Sure seems like a lot of risk in doing this work out vs potential benefit. Certainly a more elite work out. One also needs to decipher race pace vs race effort. I know in a work out, 10K pace feels like 5K effort to me as you never feel quite as good in a work out vs a race. One needs to be carefully with how this race effort work out will do to your future training in the upcoming days or weeks. You don't want a set back.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

From the Internet.

I love this workout! I did it at the beginning of the year, will totally do it again over the summer. I did it on the road since my local track was dangerously icy and I adjusted the paces for mortals. Super fun if you do it with appropriately-adjusted paces, IMO. Log entry here.