Let's talk about the heat. (Read 1212 times)

Double IPA Please!

n/m Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

TRIing to beat the heat!

Please... don't get me started. As a South FL resident, I've already moved about 80% of my tri training indoors. It will probably stay this way until the end of September. Cry

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Junior Amphibian

What heat? I still run with my gloves on. Confused P.S. Yup, I'm a Canadian.. Big grin

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Double IPA Please!

I have to motivate myself to get up earlier or go in the evenings. I really don't want to have to run indoors unless I absolutely have too. I dont mind running in the heat, it's the humidity that is a real bitch.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

YUP, Heat and Humidity has hit in NC.... sigh. Last year I was not even running yet, so now I am really cautious about running in the heat. DH and I have resolved that we absolutely do not want to run indoors unless absolutely necessary, so we are doing our runs in the wee hours of the morning during the week, and still pretty early on weekends. Got out there at 7:00am today, and it was comfortable, albeit muggy. I figure if I can hack the heat of summer with training for a HM I will earn some HTFU points. Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

even at 5:30 in the morning its been close to eighty degrees here.
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Totally worth if for the bragging rights, though.
                  Totally worth if for the bragging rights, though.
                  LOL.... Wink AND HTFU points.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Double IPA Please!

LOL.... Wink AND HTFU points.....
                    That is for sure. 5:30? I go to bed every night saying I'm going to get up early and run. I wake up at 6 look at my running stuff all set up nice and ready to go and I roll over and go back to sleep. Tongue

After a horrible wet, cold Spring, the weather's finally turned here in the Boston burbs so morning runs have been wonderful this past week or so.50 to 60 degrees, sunny - it's been great to ditch the fleece and run in shorts and T. Low 90s and humidity coming for this weekend so my long run will be early am Saturday. I'll follow that with about 6-8 hours of yard work and a late day dip in the pool. Just found out I have to work a booth at a trade show in Las Vegas...gulp...July 13-16. Last time I was in LV in July it was 114 degrees. But luckily a cold front swept in and knocked it down to 110 the next day. I'm dreading that morning run. Not to hijack, but if anyone knows where I can run that's a little but away from the strip that's accessible from the Rio, I'm all ears. And don't say the treadmill. Big grin

Sucks, but the alarm went off at 5:00 this morning, and it was still 78 degrees with a dewpoint of 68. Better than the 93 degrees later, I guess. Is it October yet?

an amazing likeness

Ok, let's see those reports of 'I-ran-more-distance-than-the-temp' ! (Miles and fahrenheit units are expected...) Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

A Saucy Wench

OK....I know I am not going to get much (any) sympathy here. But it is JUNE for cripes sakes...and I was wishing for gloves on my run this morning. GLOVES Roll eyes But I am a heat wimp so at the same time I was thinking "I hope the weather stays like this through my HM in a couple weeks"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

I'm always amazed at how the heat and humidity affect my HR training. Its almost good for 10 beats per minute at the same pace. I just can't bring myself to slow down enough to keep it under my goal HR in the heat. Then magically in the fall it shoots right back down. Of course a summer of building mileage probably doesn't hurt. Do you HRM runners out there slow down for the heat?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm always amazed at how the heat and humidity affect my HR training. Its almost good for 10 beats per minute at the same pace. I just can't bring myself to slow down enough to keep it under my goal HR in the heat. Then magically in the fall it shoots right back down. Of course a summer of building mileage probably doesn't hurt. Do you HRM runners out there slow down for the heat?
                                I have the Garmin 305 and have yet to use the HRM, but I'm thinking it might be very useful this Summer to keep me from overdoing it. I know last Summer I had a VERY tough time not trying to keep up my usual pace and it led to several really miserable long runs. I think if I allowed myself to shoot for a target HR instead of target pace I'd be doing myself and my run quality a big favor. I don't tolerate heat well at all. I don't think I'd ever acclimate to the sort of temps they deal with south of the Great Lakes. As it is we get miserable humidity (which affects my lung function as much as my general heat intolerance). Oftentimes I really struggle to run when it's much above 80. 4 hour runs during marathon training are gonna be fun...not. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay