Attacked while Running... (Read 830 times)

Anyone have pizza?

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I was actually sucker punched tonight. Black eye They nearly broke my glasses. My right ear still hurts a little, but fortunately nothing broken. I put it in my blog if you want to read it. Just click below. Also, I did make a description of them as being black, but it could have been any race. People can be pretty screwed up these days....
      Alex, Sorry to hear that. It really sucks that there are punks like that with "nothing better to do" than to randomly punch people.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Anyone have pizza?

Thanks Mike. Just 'lickin' my wound and moving on. They better head for the hills if I ever see them again though. Angry
          Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but you really turned it around with your run, and you made a new friend- kudos to you Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

The Plodder

That is terrible. I fairly regularly run through my city centre in the evenings and there are often quite a few people out on the pavements since they changed the laws on smoking, and there are a few jeers etc, but never a threat of physical attack. Running down the canal I have come across gangs of youths, but have always found them to be quite polite, one shouts 'JOGGER' and they all shuffle to the side. I feel most threatened by the groups of late teens that group outside peoples house and shout abuse, but it seems that their anger is pointed at everyone and anyone who comes past rather than being directed at me.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eesh, Alex, that's scary! I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt! Nice that you met some good folks and one happens to be a runner. And that really did turn out to be a good running night. Of course, your story does nothing to make me want to run before sunrise or after dusk. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Alex, Sorry to here about your experience. The same thing almost happened to me one time in Washington DC on the C&O bike path. Early in the morning I came up on a homeless person walking down the path. He wasn't paying attention to me so as I came up behind him he must of thought someone was running up to attack or harm him. He turned around quickly with his fists up ready to fight. I just stopped and put my hand up in a non-threatening manner and went the other way. I was fortunate. I know if I had gotten any closer there would have been physical contact. Shocked Anyway, try not to let this spoil your running experience, just be more careful.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Yikes! Alex, I'm glad you're okay. That could have gone much worse! Shocked

Roads were made for journeys...

Anyone have pizza?

Thanks eveybody. This was unfortunate, but it won't deter me from hitting the streets again. S*%& happens to everyone else too Undecided and it could have turned out worse. Zoom-Zoom, after I read about your post earlier this year about that stupid driver that nearly hit you, I figured to watch out for the cars....I guess I need to watch out for the punks on bikes as well.... Blush
                    btb1490

Sorry this had to happen to you, but something good came out of something bad. Smile Glad you are ok!
                        I'm so glad you're all right! How scary!
                        2008 Goals
                      • Run 1250 miles
                      • Get down to 135!
                      • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon

• The Meek One

Alex this is a problem i haven't had myself. Fortunately not too many people are willing to take a swing at small woman. I do however get some very threatening looks and cat calls. A male friend of mine was assaulted on a run here in the spring a homeless person tripped him as he ran by then kicked him. Urban running is certainly a different type of sport.
                          btb1490

Urban running is certainly a different type of sport.
                            It can happen anywhere. I live out in the country, and have been pelted with rocks, golf balls, beer cans, garbage. It's a sport to see how close they can come to you in their cars and trucks. I was hit in the elbow by a passenger side mirror, that's how close they came once. Great laughs are had when they pull along side of you and scream at the top of their lungs, or sneak up behind you and then lay on the horn. Instead of getting angry at these people, I feel sorry for them and hope they change their ways. On the other hand, I have had plenty of people stop and do good things as well, such as offer water, congratulations and encouragement. So it goes both ways.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Being offered water sure is nice...though I think I'd decline unless it came from a hose. I'd be too paranoid of roofies. Sad that creeps have given us cause to mistrust everyone. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What a terrible experience! It is amazing how evil people can be. To think that you are out there minding your business and they think it is a good idea to do you harm. What exactly is wrong with people.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K