Putting the wheels back on (Read 651 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

After my second marathon this spring, the wheels totally fell off my training. My plan was to do a spring and a fall marathon this year. During spring training, I got a really nasty flu that set my training back quite a bit. I recovered the best I could and gallowalked my way to a 20 min PR. Then I started training for a fall marathon WAY too soon with nowhere near the recovery I needed. As part of my training, I raced a HM and it was the worst race I've ever run. I got to the point where running 2-3 times per week was a struggle. 4 mile runs were difficult. Occasionally I'd hit a decent workout, but that was always followed by a few days of difficulties. It was really tough. The worst part of it was I didn't even like running anymore. I stopped reading about it, stopped frequenting running sites. So I took a step back, took a full week off with no running and shelved my fall marathon. Then I ran medium and easy for a few weeks. Now I'm following Daniels' intermediate blue plan with some extra mileage on the weekend run. I feel fantastic. I love to run and I'm glad to be doing it. My general plan is to stick with this intermediate plan (again, with some extra mileage on the weekend) and race a HM later next month. It's a pretty hilly course so I have no PR illusions, but I'm starting to feel confident that I'll make a good showing. After running the intermediate plan for the balance of the year, I think I am going to enjoy the madness that is training for a spring marathon during the Ohio winter. So that's my story.
      I gotta be honest, I had log stocked you for awhile, and wondered if you were okay.... So glad that you ARE, and you are BACK. I had thought you sustained an injury, and were taking mandatory time off. Glad to know that you are on the road to loving the sport again. Take Care! and Post often.... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Glad you are back, I valued your advice over at CR, and I am sure your contributions will be welcome1 Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I always like reading your posts - I'm glad you're loving the sport again.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Thanks everyone. It feels great to be back. I know I'll have setbacks in the future, but hope I never have to go through anything like that again.

Old, Slow, Happy

I'm glad to hear you're back running. You give me a little hope. I haven't had the issues you've had, but I'm dealing with runners knee. I'm going through the "It's a lot of work to run. I can't run as far as I want. I don't feel like running." You're post gives me hope that I'll get things back soon. I have cut my mileage to half of what I was running. Anyway, thanks for your post and I hope your running continues to be enjoyable!! Smile

Yoda the 4-eared cat

I've had a similar experience recently as well. I remember running used to feel effortless, being able to charge up a hill, coast down the other side and think "Yeah, I rock". I've been running regularly for about 2 years but after a half marathon last November I fell almost completely off the running wagon for 6 months. Various causes, my running partner moved away, my workload went through the roof, lacking a new goal... But I've been back running regularly for about 2 months of fairly joyless summer plodding, fighting boredom by myself. But am finally getting back to the point where I have minor "Yeah, I rock" moments. Had one on Monday. Learning ro run by myself I think has been the hardest part but it's becoming a pleasure again (cooler weather and an MP3 player also help).

Feeling the growl again

Welcome back to the odd looks at the water cooler -- "You ran WHAT this weekend??" Seriously, glad to hear things are on the upswing for you. One of the problems with us runner types is that when things start going downhill we often refuse to just back off and do less. We just ignore the problems or train harder/more, and the vicious downward death spiral begins. Many times when people finally exit at the bottom, they are so disgusted that they exit the sport forever Sad I'm as guilty as anyone, I lost 2 full years beating the dead horse before I finally took extended time off (and got diagnosed as to the root of the problem). The good part is when I returned I ran PRs within 6 months. I'm in my second come-back right now, just getting to the part where running and racing is fun again for me. Enjoy the HM, I think it's a good idea to start with a hilly race so you aren't tempted by PRs or to compare. I think it's good to wait a bit longer before you get back there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I hit a real slump the last couple of months myself. I was 40 miles ahead of the 1000 mile bunny, then I hurt my knee then just started having all kinds of excuses not to get out there in the heat and run. I noticed the "fat bars" in my training log this week and decided it was time to make them small again. I figure in the long run a slump won't make any difference. You just gotta get back out there.
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

hehehehehe "fat bars" the first run back looked particularly odd.