Do You Eat Meat? (Read 442 times)

Hip Redux

The dairy industry is awful, too. I'm not vegan but I eat a lot of vegan meals. I figure at least limiting my consumption helps a little bit.

It is.  Industry and farming just don't go together well.  

I can't eat wheat and I refuse to eat soy and I hate beans, so I don't think I would fare well as a vegan/vegetarian.  lol   So I just try to do as best I can with my choices and resources.  That's all we can do.

YAYpril - B-Plus

It is.  Industry and farming just don't go together well.  

I can't eat wheat and I refuse to eat soy and I hate beans, so I don't think I would fare well as a vegan/vegetarian.  lol   So I just try to do as best I can with my choices and resources.  That's all we can do.

Haha. My husband wanted to try Paleo a few months ago and it was the same situation for me. I wouldn't be able to eat wheat or beans? Hmm.... Nope, not for me. Smile

Hip Redux

Haha. My husband wanted to try Paleo a few months ago and it was the same situation for me. I wouldn't be able to eat wheat or beans? Hmm.... Nope, not for me. Smile

Ha!  I'm pretty close to paleo, minus the brainwashing.  :P  lol

GC100k

As much as I can. My kids are veg and vegan and my wife doesn't like meat so not much at home. As a kid we had beef every night. My parents did Atkins for awhile (his book came out in 72 and was very popular in the 70s), that was great.  My youngest are identical twins and only one is veg so an interesting experiment.

Christirei

My family is gluten free and dairy free and eat only organic foods. We LOVE meat!  But I only buy from my local farmer who I personally know and have been to his farm. His chickens are completely organic and pastured, as well as his beef and pork. The only meat I will buy from a store is wild caught fish. We buy our eggs from the same farmer, I kid you not his eight kids get up every day and havest the eggs from around the farm  Smile  our grocery bill is through the roof though, it is a serious committment to whole organic and local foods that we practice in our house. And it only started because two of my daughters developed severe food allergies. We place a great value on the quality of food that we consume, but I also do my best not to shove it down people's throats. I understand that a lot of people couldn't afford to eat the way we do, and we make conscious choices like no cable/text msg plans/resale clothing....

Better I Leave

I'm not a strict vegetarian either, but I guess I was trying to get a feel as to whether or not folks are bothered by the way these animals are treated. I know I am very disturbed by this and it speaks to the nature of people. Maybe I'm too idealistic, but I feel that there is no need to brutalize an animal even if it is going to be killed for food.

Furthermore, these "ag-gag" laws that have been laid down by our legislators are in place to protect the industry from scrutiny...Special interests once again.

This is definitely making me rethink what I eat and just may push me to stop eating meat entirely. Speaking for myself, the choice is mine whether I want to be part of a problem or part of a solution. Aside from health benefits, I also see an "ethical" component to this as well.

Better I Leave

My family is gluten free and dairy free and eat only organic foods. We LOVE meat!  But I only buy from my local farmer who I personally know and have been to his farm. His chickens are completely organic and pastured, as well as his beef and pork. The only meat I will buy from a store is wild caught fish. We buy our eggs from the same farmer, I kid you not his eight kids get up every day and havest the eggs from around the farm  Smile  our grocery bill is through the roof though, it is a serious committment to whole organic and local foods that we practice in our house. And it only started because two of my daughters developed severe food allergies. We place a great value on the quality of food that we consume, but I also do my best not to shove it down people's throats. I understand that a lot of people couldn't afford to eat the way we do, and we make conscious choices like no cable/text msg plans/resale clothing....

We used to buy our beef from a local rancher who had grass-fed, organic beef. She stopped doing it though because she got too attached to her cattle and decided to keep them as pets. LOL! I'm serious!

Feeling the growl again

Yes, but I generally stick to free ranging hormone free meat.  Wild pigs, deer, elk, etc.  I also process it on my own so I know it is taken care of properly from start to finish.  I do buy some ribeye steaks on occasion though.

Same here, 90% of the meat in my freezer was taken with a gun or bow.  I fed about 4 families that way last year.  Much lower in fat.

That said, I was raised farming and the level of misinformation out there is quite annoying (youtube, the internet, and TV do not make one knowledgeable on about anything).  I'll also pass on the ethical judgement of former drug smugglers.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

cmb4314

I eat meat, but I'm not that attached to it in general.  I like it, but I like beans, soy, etc enough that I would probably not really miss most meat if I gave it up.

When the farmer's market is in season (now until October) we get most of our meat from there.  One of the best things we've done is to get half a pig from a farmer there - you pick exactly how you want it butchered, and he delivers it to the market for you, packaged and frozen.  We could have gone up to the farm and chosen our exact pig if we'd wanted to.   With only two of us in the house, we had a freezer full of humanely raised pork for a year, and on top of that we only paid ~$2/lb for all of it.

I do buy chicken from the store when I have to, because it's not always feasible to get downtown on Saturday or Sunday mornings to get to the farmer's market.  Not ideal, but within town it's really the only option.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

#artbydmcbride

Wild caught salmon and free range chickens.

Runners run

I eat very little meat now, but that's due to dietary health concerns*, not ethics.

I was raised in farm country, live in farm country, and know plenty of farmers and processors around here.  When I eat meat, I enjoy the living hell out of it. ...just not always afterwards.

I'm not a fan of people who see their own lifestyle choices as superior ethically to those of others, however,

*Ulcerative colitis/IBD.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

Better I Leave

The chicken coop I'm building. We have 8 chickens and they spent their first night in the coop (the enclosed nesting room) last night. Looking forward to some nice, organic eggs. Smile

GC100k

But is it local?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/208808

Wild caught salmon and free range chickens.

GC100k

From a sustainability standpoint, beef is pretty bad, chicken is not much worse than grains, and wild caught fish is often horrible.  There's a lot of misinformation and scare tactic bs about meat.  For example, contrary to myth, chickens are not given hormones.  Local is probably a better approach than the nebulous "organic".  The big retailers are getting with the program out of necessity and because of economic and PR reasons:

http://corporate.walmart.com/global-responsibility/environment-sustainability/products

Resident Sk8r boi

But is it local?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/208808

Is that USDA organic or Portland organic?