Do You Eat Meat? (Read 442 times)

Feeling the growl again

That guy did the presentation in 2012. It is not too out-dated. All clinical results may have been published, but media or academic may not write articles about them. No way that the majority of the doctors and the public will know the fact.

Perhaps I misunderstand your original post on this (I do not watch videos from work so I did not watch it).  You seemed to indicate it was the companies picking and choosing disclosures to spin knowledge to their advantage.  Now you indicate that it is the fault of middlemen (media and academics writing articles) preventing the majority of docs and the public from knowing facts.  I'm no longer clear which you are saying is the case.

The media cannot cover all knowledge -- especially with regards to science, where they do a TERRIBLE job at it.  When I was an academic, work from my own lab was presented on CNN by an "expert", who completely misrepresented the data.

People have a responsibility to educate themselves on things they feel they need an informed opinion about.  If the knowledge is publicly available then it seems it is the fault of the end user for not getting it, not the provider.  And if one wants an accurate picture, they need to get as close to the source of the primary information as possible or they risk being misled.  With drugs that would be the primary study results...or, if you don't have the specialized education to understand that, someone who does (your doctor/pharmacist) is the next best thing.  In the case of eating meat, this is why I indicated someone needs to have significant time actually being around a farm or processor to understand what is happening and why.  Everyone who participates in the media is trying to tell a story...and, lately, those stories seem to need to be hyped up and/or shocking or they are not worth presenting.  Boring headlines don't sell.  So most media has a bias to exaggerate or spin information in a way that will generate interest or emotion.

And, I hear you on real Chinese food.  The last time my wife's family took me to real Chinese in San Francisco I left hungry and found some of the dishes bordering on disturbing...more the appearance than anything else.  However overall I have enjoyed my experiences with most Asian food and marrying into an Asian family has been a pleasant culinary adventure.  Apparently, when you transplant Koreans into Texas you end up with people who show up at the door from the airport with a 49.5lb suitcase full of raw meat.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My belief is God did not put animals on this earth to be our pets, but to serve us with their labor and for food.

Our cats definitely did not get the who-serves-whom memo.

And, I hear you on real Chinese food.  The last time my wife's family took me to real Chinese in San Francisco I left hungry and found some of the dishes bordering on disturbing...more the appearance than anything else.  However overall I have enjoyed my experiences with most Asian food and marrying into an Asian family has been a pleasant culinary adventure. 

Heh. Being taken for "real Chinese" in SF a few times, I learned to follow two rules;

1. Don't ask questions, just eat what tastes good.

2. Seriously, don't ask questions.

If you think the Taiwanese have an interesting diet....my father-in-law fled North Korea when the Communists invaded.  The dishes they eat there...even before their gov't had them so hungry they would eat their shoes...

I went out for a "nice" dinner with some folks from Samsung the first time I was in Korea back in 2010...we had hot dog and spam kimchi soup. They said that during the Korean War there wasn't much meat to go around so what there was (hot dogs and spam that the GIs had) became delacacies.

Not really that related to anything but just wanted to share. I did eat an intestine while there that had a somewhat disturbing filling...

Perhaps I misunderstand your original post on this (I do not watch videos from work so I did not watch it).  You seemed to indicate it was the companies picking and choosing disclosures to spin knowledge to their advantage.  Now you indicate that it is the fault of middlemen (media and academics writing articles) preventing the majority of docs and the public from knowing facts.  I'm no longer clear which you are saying is the case.

And, I hear you on real Chinese food.  The last time my wife's family took me to real Chinese in San Francisco I left hungry and found some of the dishes bordering on disturbing...more the appearance than anything else.  However overall I have enjoyed my experiences with most Asian food and marrying into an Asian family has been a pleasant culinary adventure.  Apparently, when you transplant Koreans into Texas you end up with people who show up at the door from the airport with a 49.5lb suitcase full of raw meat.  Big grin

I think all (Academic, companies and public) have the responsibility. Now even more confusing for you. :-)

Academic wants to write some unique articles to show their "discovery". Companies wouldn't be happy if the research funds sponsor some groups who keep publishing something against their products.

America has the highest obesity rate in the world. Some people blames the food industry, but some say people need to be responsible for their diets and choose their food. McDonald said they introduced salad in the menu but nobody wants to buy it. People keep blaming each other. :-)

Now back to food. People say Chinese food in San Francisco is the best in the world outside China. I didn't get a chance to try it when I was there. However, general speaking, Chinese food is no longer Chinese food outside China. All the stir fry sauces on the supermarket shelf are either too sweet or too sour. When I ate the Chinese takeout on our overtime night, I asked my Canadian colleague what egg roll was. One time I worked in a Chinese takeaway in London helping the chef preparing and packing orders, the food was cooked either using too much oil, salt or sugar, but apparently it was rather popular. After a busy night, we had something to eat but the chef didn't cook the way he cooked for the customers. He cooked the Chinese way.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Wing

Joggaholic

Stinky Tofu is about the worst smelling food in existence. That's the only food I've refused to get within twenty feet of.

Find a fresh Durian and you may change your mind... Dead

Find a fresh Durian and you may change your mind... Dead

Oh my God.  One guy at work, who is from Cambodia, brought one of those in one day and opened it up in the kitchen.

I (and quite a few others) had to leave the office for a while.

It was the foulest thing (that was supposedly edible) that I had ever smelled.

Jeff

Wing

Joggaholic

Now back to food. People say Chinese food in San Francisco is the best in the world outside China. I didn't get a chance to try it when I was there. However, general speaking, Chinese food is no longer Chinese food outside China. All the stir fry sauces on the supermarket shelf are either too sweet or too sour. When I ate the Chinese takeout on our overtime night, I asked my Canadian colleague what egg roll was. One time I worked in a Chinese takeaway in London helping the chef preparing and packing orders, the food was cooked either using too much oil, salt or sugar, but apparently it was rather popular. After a busy night, we had something to eat but the chef didn't cook the way he cooked for the customers. He cooked the Chinese way.

I have always heard the best Chinese food is in Vancouver......

As one of my American colleagues had enlightened me: "I don't care if it's not authentic Chinese food, I love the shitty General Tso's chicken at the mall!"

BeeRunB

I have always heard the best Chinese food is in Vancouver......

As one of my American colleagues had enlightened me: "I don't care if it's not authentic Chinese food, I love the shitty General Tso's chicken at the mall!"

Here on Buford Highway and the surrounding areas up through Norcross in Atlanta metro is an amazing collection of Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Bangladeshi, and Ethiopan foods. It's quite overwhelming for a guy from Central Falls, RI. I rarely eat "American" anymore.

Feeling the growl again

I think all (Academic, companies and public) have the responsibility. Now even more confusing for you. :-)

Academic wants to write some unique articles to show their "discovery". Companies wouldn't be happy if the research funds sponsor some groups who keep publishing something against their products.

America has the highest obesity rate in the world. Some people blames the food industry, but some say people need to be responsible for their diets and choose their food. McDonald said they introduced salad in the menu but nobody wants to buy it. People keep blaming each other. :-)

It would seem that posting a complete listing of all trials, positive or negative, is a responsible thing to do (and a step I totally agree with).  I'm not sure what more you expect them to do.

You can't force people to do something they don't want to.  That goes for eating good food (meat or no) or learning from the massive amounts of data that are made available for the drugs you put in your body.  A person has to do that for themselves.  If this were not the case, grades in our schools would be a lot higher since teachers could simply force their students to learn.

Since I was eating with Korean immigrants who spent significant time in China, I will take their word for it that it was the most authentic Chinese food possible.  It was certainly different from any other "Chinese food" I have had in the US; I love the latter, and couldn't stomach the former.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Imminent Catastrophe

I do not eat meat.  I dont eat pudding unless it is dairy free. Persimmons pudding for the win!  I get 90% of my calories from carbs.  Fruit, rice, potatoes.  Mostly fruit.  Never felt better in my life.   I reversed IBS, orthostatic hypertension, depression and anxiety.  I feel happy all day long.  I dont need to drink coffee to wake up.  I'd like to move to a city with public transportation.  I would mostly just walk or run everywhere or take public transportation.  I will keep my ford focus wagon for now.

I could easily find similar testimonials for every diet-type there is, from Paleo to Atkins to raw to vegan to fruitarian. Just do a search, you can easily find earnest, heartfelt variations on the statement "All my health problems disappeared after I started the <insert diet-type here> lifestyle" (they don't call it a diet, it's a "lifestyle").  About the only thing that they have in common is that they're far better off than when they were eating the typical American diet of mass-produced, processed convenience foods, from both fast-food restaurants and the food-in-a-box from the middle aisles of the grocery store.

Eat real food.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hip Redux

Better I Leave

OK, so what's up with the ag-gag laws and why are people who get caught filming being prosecuted? I mean, I'll say again, I eat mostly vegetarian, but I'm not opposed to eating meat. That being said, if everything is on the "up and up" in the meat industry, there's really no need for these ag-gag laws, correct? I look at the video that I originally posted (and others) and one cannot deny that there is some real horrific abuse going on. I understand the need to slaughter animals...But when I see an employee repeatedly beating down a calf, I simply don't understand why said employee feels the need to do that. And again, my wife and I made the decision quite some time ago to no longer purchase Foster Farm chicken when we purchased on with severe bruising and bones broken. Dead animals don't bruise, only live ones do. The chicken we purchased went through some pretty rough treatment before being slaughtered.

Wing

Joggaholic

2. Seriously, don't ask questions.

Pretty sure that is fake.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus