Do You Eat Meat? (Read 442 times)

Feeling the growl again

OK, so what's up with the ag-gag laws and why are people who get caught filming being prosecuted? I mean, I'll say again, I eat mostly vegetarian, but I'm not opposed to eating meat. That being said, if everything is on the "up and up" in the meat industry, there's really no need for these ag-gag laws, correct?

Good to know you would be fine with someone posing as a friend of yours coming on to your private property, recording/videotaping everything you are saying and doing related to your pot activities, then distributing a version deliberately making it look as bad as possible for you on the internet and to the authorities.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

Good to know you would be fine with someone posing as a friend of yours coming on to your private property, secretly recording/videotaping everything you are saying and doing related to your pot activities, asking you and your employees leading questions about things that could be easily misconstrued, finding a disgruntled or just poor employee of yours and encouraging them to do things that they both know are against company policies, then distributing a version deliberately making it look as bad as possible for you on the internet and to the authorities.

Added a few items to your list in bold and underlined to match up with how it seems most of the "documentaries" that I've seen exposing poor agriculture practices work.  Generally they sign a employee policy manual and code of conduct policy and willfully violate them as well.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Better I Leave

Good to know you would be fine with someone posing as a friend of yours coming on to your private property, recording/videotaping everything you are saying and doing related to your pot activities, then distributing a version deliberately making it look as bad as possible for you on the internet and to the authorities.

Good to know? I wouldn't exactly put it that way my friend. The last time a friend came onto our property and got involved in our "pot activities" as you so eloquently put it, he executed a home invasion, tased my wife, beat her black and blue, robbed us of all my wife's jewelry, our electronics and our harvested crop. But you either wouldn't know that or don't care, so thanks for the reminder as we're trying to put it behind us and move on...

http://www.tspntv.com/news-interview-videos/item/19663-amador-county-sheriff%E2%80%99s-deputies-respond-to-home-invasion-robbery

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think the real point was that if there was nothing to hide, industries would not need anti-gag laws.

Better I Leave

I think the real point was that if there was nothing to hide, industries would not need anti-gag laws.

Thank you Trent. Smile

joescott

"our harvested crop"

I love euphemisms.  It just sounds so lovely like that.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Better I Leave

I love euphemisms.  It just sounds so lovely like that.

Would "our pot plants" suffice? OK...our pot plants. Completely legal and even the LEOs that responded said so as my wife is a chronic pain sufferer. They took all her weed...and beat her up for good measure. anything to say about that, or would you rather refer to us as a bunch of "dirtbag druggies"...believe me, we've been called worse.

joescott

Completely legal?  Perhaps a little stretching of the truth?

Regardless of state laws to the contrary, there is no such thing as “medical” marijuana under Federal law.  Marijuana continues to be a Schedule I substance meaning that it has no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) issued guidance for Federal prosecutors in states that have enacted laws authorizing the medical use of marijuana under state law.  The guidelines explain that it is likely not an efficient use of federal resources to focus enforcement efforts on individuals with serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen consistent with applicable state law or their individual non-commercial caregiver.  However, persons who are in the business of cultivating, selling, or distributing marijuana, and those who knowingly facilitate such activities, are in violation of Federal law, and are subject to Federal enforcement action, including potential prosecution.

The DOJ guidelines do not legalize marijuana.  The DOJ guidance explicitly states that marijuana remains illegal under Federal law.  Enforcing Federal law against significant traffickers in illegal drugs including marijuana remains a core Department of Justice priority.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Better I Leave

Completely legal?  Perhaps a little stretching of the truth?

Regardless of state laws to the contrary, there is no such thing as “medical” marijuana under Federal law.  Marijuana continues to be a Schedule I substance meaning that it has no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) issued guidance for Federal prosecutors in states that have enacted laws authorizing the medical use of marijuana under state law.  The guidelines explain that it is likely not an efficient use of federal resources to focus enforcement efforts on individuals with serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen consistent with applicable state law or their individual non-commercial caregiver.  However, persons who are in the business of cultivating, selling, or distributing marijuana, and those who knowingly facilitate such activities, are in violation of Federal law, and are subject to Federal enforcement action, including potential prosecution.

The DOJ guidelines do not legalize marijuana.  The DOJ guidance explicitly states that marijuana remains illegal under Federal law.  Enforcing Federal law against significant traffickers in illegal drugs including marijuana remains a core Department of Justice priority.

Well said. I thank you and I'm glad you contributed. You are precisely the person I need to have in my life at this moment to teach me forgiveness, understanding, and acceptance. I wish you well. I mean that sincerely. In the meantime, I will continue my sessions with my wife so that she can move beyond being a victim of the war on drugs. Go in peace my friend...or continue....it really doesn't matter now, does it?

Feeling the growl again

Good to know? I wouldn't exactly put it that way my friend. The last time a friend came onto our property and got involved in our "pot activities" as you so eloquently put it, he executed a home invasion, tased my wife, beat her black and blue, robbed us of all my wife's jewelry, our electronics and our harvested crop. But you either wouldn't know that or don't care, so thanks for the reminder as we're trying to put it behind us and move on...

http://www.tspntv.com/news-interview-videos/item/19663-amador-county-sheriff%E2%80%99s-deputies-respond-to-home-invasion-robbery

Did you not understand the analogy, or was a deflection your only way to reply?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

This is an awfully simplistic way to look at it....and completely wrong.  Does this mean someone who stands behind the 4th Amendment must be hiding something?

As npaden indicated, having a bunch of "activists" infiltrating a business and deliberately trying to cause trouble and distributed cherry-picked, slanted materials is a very poor way to inspect practices on a farm.  No rational business owner would want such activities going on on their property.  You're doing nothing wrong, some activist under cover leads a low-level employee into hitting a cow, and now you're on CNN and getting interviewed by the police.  You fire the employee but now you've got a huge headache all because of the activist.

Couple that with the fact that the audience of these videos are people who have little to no experience with animal handling outside of their pet dog/cat; certainly not large livestock.  No farm owner wants to waste their time trying to explain/defend standard farm practices to people who are totally ignorant to them.

It's not about having something to hide.  It's about people stirring up huge headaches for even the people who are doing things right.

If this is believed to be a serious problem, then support mechanisms to officially report and investigate issues.  I am not a believer that ANY industry can "self-police" effectively, but leaving it in the hands of a bunch of untrained activists with an agenda seeking to cause trouble is worse.

MTA:  What happened to your wife was terrible, I believe I have said that here before.  If the police caught the perps and happened to "forget" them in a locked room for five minutes....with you...and a baseball bat...I don't think I would feel much sympathy for them.  However, YOU started an entire thread presenting your involvement with marijuana to the community here, so you are hardly in a position to play victim when it is brought up and used to help frame an argument in a way as to put you in someone else's position in a way you can connect with.  I hope your wife is doing well, I really do.  And I hope you can support your position with more than the victim card, slanted youtube videos, and a single bad chicken.

You're doing nothing wrong, some activist under cover leads a low-level employee into hitting a cow, and now you're on CNN and getting interviewed by the police.  You fire the employee but now you've got a huge headache all because of the activist.

I could understand how difficult to the owner. However, I lean to the policy enforcement side (perhaps not right).

In the ideal world, owners get all the people who love animals to work for them and I understand it is a labour shortage issue. However, I think if some employee hit a cow, it is also a management issue. How often has he/she emphasized the standard/policy/law? What's the policy enforcement been practiced there?

Unfortunately we are not living in a peaceful world. Something has to be done in order to protect others. When coming to the policy/law enforcement, individual is not important to the law practice. They punish those individuals to warn others. The same happens to killings and court sentences. Whether the punishment system works or not is another topic.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

I could understand how difficult to the owner. However, I lean to the policy enforcement side (perhaps not right).

In the ideal world, owners get all the people who love animals to work for them and I understand it is a labour shortage issue. However, I think if some employee hit a cow, it is also a management issue. How often has he/she emphasized the standard/policy/law? What's the policy enforcement been practiced there?

Unfortunately we are not living in a peaceful world. Something has to be done in order to protect others. When coming to the policy/law enforcement, individual is not important to the law practice. They punish those individuals to warn others. The same happens to killings and court sentences. Whether the punishment system works or not is another topic.

I do not disagree with you.  So leave monitoring and enforcement to the appropriate laws, bodies and agencies....not partial activists infiltrating businesses and breaking laws with ill intent and deceit on their minds.  We do not enforce laws through vigilantism in this country.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I do not disagree with you.  So leave monitoring and enforcement to the appropriate laws, bodies and agencies....not partial activists infiltrating businesses and breaking laws with ill intent and deceit on their minds.  We do not enforce laws through vigilantism in this country.

I do not disagree with you, but am moved to add that my understanding is that agencies such as the USDA are ridiculously underfunded, and therefore can't begin to provide adequate oversight to ensure our food is safe, let alone that animals are treated humanely.  Not saying this is an appropriate thread to discuss government spending.

Feeling the growl again

I do not disagree with you, but am moved to add that my understanding is that agencies such as the USDA are ridiculously underfunded, and therefore can't begin to provide adequate oversight to ensure our food is safe, let alone that animals are treated humanely.  Not saying this is an appropriate thread to discuss government spending.

Your point is entirely valid.