Humble Pie: Thanks to CR Folks and Eric (Read 1411 times)

I was very moved by the overwhemingly positive feedback I received from former CR runners and RA members after my initial (poor subject wording) posting. I was quite surprised to receive a warm e-mail welcome and explanation from Eric about his valued members that was much appreciated. Humble Pie: I admit to having an ego that will fill up a rather large auditorium--probably a stadium. My subject using Long Run Nick was directed to get former CR members attention. I was rude by not realizing I walked in to a setting where I was the newbie and had not properly introduced myself. T'was never my intention to present myself as a gift. My "gift"--tis the holiday season-- was some words to mostly newbies--and vets--who ever that would apply to-- about my passion to get folks to be lifetime runners. I didn't fill out a profile initially because I couldn't figure out how to do it. At 64, this cyber space stuff can get me a little confused. Though I have pretty much mastered my Garmin 305. I look forward to sharing my insights and experience over the last 31 ys of very consistent running--having logged more than 65,000 miles with whoever is interested. Having competed in over 400 races from 1 mile to 62.5 miles--I can assure all my running is not slogging--slow jogging. But, for me I think a key ingredient for my longevity in running is to take it real EZ---2-3 minutes of 5K race pace for 90%+ of my runs. I think the other thing that has helped me over the years is I don't take myself too seriously. I have coached hundreds of runners and realize that one formula does not fit all. We are each unique. What I have learned is--if folks want to be around 2-3-4 decades from now still running--and competing--if that is their cup of tea-- the message I continue to present(I don't pretend to be the inventor of this concept--I actually think cave men probably figured it out) has and is working for a lot of folks. I am a continual learner. Took up MAF training in May which allowed me to go from 5 days a week running to 6. Moved my mileage up from 40-45 per week to 55-60 miles er week. This year I have logged ver 2,300 miles--the most I have run in a year since around 1985--and most importantly feel healthy and greatful! Gosh, I can ramble. Age may be a factor. I know for me--when the student is ready--the teacher appears and when the teacher is ready the student appears. I believe each of us is a student and a teacher. Thanks for letting me share. Nick
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nick, welcome! There is plenty of fault to go around; many of us who have been around a while felt a bit overwhelmed and were fighting the internal conflict of wanting to be welcoming and wanting to maintain what we knew. So I apologize if we put you personally off, and again, Welcome! Please join in and share your experience with us. Others may give differing views, thus is the nature of message boards! And please, have a slice of pumpkin pie; it is far better than humble Wink
      va

Hey LRN, it sounds like you have a lot to offer and share. I am glad you are here. Welcome!!! Smile
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nick, welcome! There is plenty of fault to go around; many of us who have been around a while felt a bit overwhelmed and were fighting the internal conflict of wanting to be welcoming and wanting to maintain what we knew. So I apologize if we put you personally off, and again, Welcome! Please join in and share your experience with us. Others may give differing views, thus is the nature of message boards! And please, have a slice of pumpkin pie; it is far better than humble Wink
          Yep...and you can have my pumpkin pie, I don't really like it (I know...blasphemy...give me apple or cherry, please). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hey LRN, it sounds like you have a lot to offer and share. I am glad you are here. Welcome!!! Smile
            Ditto.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

welcome to RA Nick - good to have you here. i hope you and all the other CR folks find this a happy new home for you all.

Member Since 2008

Welcome Nick, glad to meet you.
                Len

Damn Yankee

Welcome to RA Nick!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Hey Nick, great post. I know you have good intentions! I actually did a really slow run today. I think slowing down is going to be the key for me to up my mileage. Hope you stick around. Someone needs to get Nobby over here...
                    mikeymike

Aw, shucks, Nick. Now you're making me feel bad for being such a wiseass. Wait. No you're not. Does the bear feel bad about beeing in the woods? I think not. Anyway, welcome aboard--glad you're here. Mike

Runners run

Welcome to RA Nick! Smile

Michelle

jfa

Yahoo !!! how bout some figgy pudding? what IS figgy pudding? Dead

keep the posts coming nick. i like to poke around here, although i'm about to finish my 30th year of running; i'm hoping to keep running as many miles for the next 30... john wooden has a great quote for both newbies and old farts. he must have come up with it when faced with 18 year old know-it-all freshman, year after year, entering his highly successful ucla basketball program. i like to keep it close: he said "it's what you learn after you know it all that counts the most." ps - i like to run fast on fast days and slow on slow days. but most importantly i like to smile on both days. Smile
                              Welcome, Nick! No offense taken. We know your heart is in the right place. And as a newbie, I welcome your input. You're not only a valuable and venerable resource, but a true gentleman.
                              btb1490

Awesome! Keep running and posting, LRN! And welcome!