Breakfast is ready... (Read 518 times)

dillydoodles

I thought I would share a recipe for a hot breakfast that I really like. You can eat it before or after your morning run (or both). You toss all the ingredients into a crockpot before you go to bed. It cooks all night on low heat and is ready when you get up. It tastes really yummy, smells lovely and it's heart healthy too. If you have a crockpot and like oatmeal I think you'll enjoy this carbolicious breakfast. ~ Arlene Deluxe Crockpot Oatmeal Ingredients: 2 cups milk (1% or skim) 1/4 cup brown sugar 1-2 tsp margerine (melted) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 cup quick cooking oats 2 tbsp wheat germ (optional) 1 cup finely chopped apple (peeled) 1/2 cup raisins (or chopped dates) 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or almonds) Instructions: Spray the inside of a crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Place all the ingredients in the crock-pot and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Stir before serving. Makes 6 servings Per serving: Calories 223, Carb 38.4g (Fibre 3.5g), Fat 4.9g (0.7g sat fat, 3mg chol), Prot 6.7g, Sodium 143mg, Potassium 360mg Ratio: Carb 68% / Fat 20% / Prot 12%
    dillydoodles

PS: I forgot to mention - when you're ready to eat the oatmeal, if it seems a little too thick for your liking just add a bit of milk Smile
        Thanks for the recipe Arlene! You said all the magic words! "crock pot", "yummy", "smells lovely", and "heart healthy"! Big grin
          Fabulous. Nothing better than a bowl of oatmeal after a long, cold winter morning run. I'm totally making this for breakfast for my morning run tomorrow. Yes Thanks a bunch.
          dillydoodles

Sean, the recipe makes about 3 cups. The nutritional info I gave is for 1/2 cup servings. Just so you know (not that you look like you need to count calories, LOL!) My hubby usually eats about 1 cup (2 servings). You can refrigerate any leftovers and even eat it cold for a snack/desert. Enjoy! Hope you like it too Joni. I think it's yummers Smile ~ Arlene