Beer and Running (Read 1004 times)

I dont understand and someone should clear this up for me. I drank really really heavy friday night and saturday night and both of my runs the next days were amazing. I get completly hammered then run sub 7's for an hour the next day like I have been doing it for years. Does anyone understand or have a theory on why you can drink so much and still run fine? During cross country I would not have a sip of beer, now I wish I replaced water with beer, I feel the results would have been different.

ymmv

this is really, really good news.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've noticed this too. Had a couple of high-gravity IPA's Friday night,  set a marathon PR Saturday. We should commission a study.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

Try it more than once and see how that works out for you, on average.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I find that a cold IPA is the best recovery drink available, but Kkocking back a six-pack then hammering the morning run is something I haven't tried much in the last 10yrs.

vegefrog

Lucky you. I had a miserable 13 miles today after drinking way too much last night. Very dehydrated and just felt like crap. I find this to be the case anytime I have more then a few the night before.

I was supposed to do 16 miles today (last "longer" run before marathon in 2 weeks) but drank too  much beer and wine last night and now I feel too crappy to run at all!  I guess there is a fine line and I went well across it.

Going to have to do it tomorrow instead!

Cool

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Feeling the growl again

When I was about a decade younger, a large group of former college XC/track teammates and I would gather for a beer tent and then run a local 8K the next morning.  One year a certain friend of mine was the most hungover (or still drunk) the morning after...dry heaves on the starting line.  We got into the race and even though I felt better than him, he was a prizefighter and set the course record while I was a good 1:30 off what I should have run.  The next year roles reversed...I was the one barely able to stand up straight on the starting line, but I took 20sec off his course record while he faded early.

You may get lucky once in awhile, But beer is not a magic sports drink.  It's good though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

I think it also shows you can race/perform well in a partially dehydrated state!  I am sure you partyers weren't gulping water all night Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

not one beer last night & my run today was a struggle the whole way.   so maybe theres something to the op's theory

A night or two of lots of booze are not necessarily going to make any real difference. But in the long run excessive alcohol consumption will tend have a negative effect on athletic performance. Some examples. Alcohol is highly calorific so can make it difficult to maintain a good weight. Alcohol inhibits testosterone production which can hamper recovery. Alcohol reduces liver function which can reduce glycogen storage in the liver. Alcohol reduces glycogen storage in the muscles. High alcohol intake has a negative effect on bone density - increase the likelihood of fractures. Alcohol tends to disrupt sleep which has a variety of negative effects.

I like beer and wine just as much as the next guy - but I don't think we should kid ourselves about what's going with our bodies when we drink. As with many things -  in moderation it'll probably make little significant difference; but if you're frequently waking up with a hang-over then you'd almost certainly be a better runner if you drank less.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

A night or two of lots of booze are not necessarily going to make any real difference. But in the long run excessive alcohol consumption will tend have a negative effect on athletic performance. Some examples. Alcohol is highly calorific so can make it difficult to maintain a good weight. Alcohol inhibits testosterone production which can hamper recovery. Alcohol reduces liver function which can reduce glycogen storage in the liver. Alcohol reduces glycogen storage in the muscles. High alcohol intake has a negative effect on bone density - increase the likelihood of fractures. Alcohol tends to disrupt sleep which has a variety of negative effects.

I like beer and wine just as much as the next guy - but I don't think we should kid ourselves about what's going with our bodies when we drink. As with many things -  in moderation it'll probably make little significant difference; but if you're frequently waking up with a hang-over then you'd almost certainly be a better runner if you drank less.

This ^

and we also shouldn't kid ourselves, what was easy to recover from and get back in shape from, takes us a lot lot longer as we get older, and I suspect we never get back completely in the same shape we would have.

Runners run

SMART Approach

You had to ruin it for us! Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Alcohol tends to disrupt sleep which has a variety of negative effects.

This is the part that is most debilitating to me.  Ever since I started running I have found that the #1 factor in the quality of my runs is how well I've been sleeping and how much.  More than a serving or two of booze (generally in the form of beer or wine) and I don't sleep soundly and wake too early.

It always seems like a good idea at the time, of course... Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay