Beer and Running (Read 1004 times)

xor

I think it is about time for the "I like to get high and run; it is amazing" comet to return.

ANYWAY.  You can get away with the "I drank really really heavy" thing now.  Two days in a row?  That won't last forever.

Enjoy the salad days, kid, enjoy the salad days.

Marathon Maniac #3309

A few years back (due to whatever bad thing I was going through) I started drinking way way more than I should have - every night. For a long while I ran and raced at a high level (high level for me that is) After awhile I noticed my runs started to become labor some - I was slowing down. It got so bad that my easy 7 something pace became 8...then 9....then 10:00 pace was very hard, and I couldn't run more than 4 miles. I guess it finally dawned on me that my drinking was taking a toll on my running....that motivated me to quit.

Within about a month or so of quitting, I started feeling good again, and my paces kept dropping back down to where I was at before. And I positively know it was because of drinking so much. Oh, I still drink beer and run, but not in access like I was. There was one other time I drank a little too much for an extended period of time - yup, paces slowed again.

Oh yeah.....when I quit drinking - I lost 12 pounds rather quickly.  

I can drink a beer or two the night before a marathon just fine. But drinking more than average over an extended period of time will affect athletic performance and running. Now I tend to just drink on a Saturday night (my long run day) or for certain occasions (after races)

I'm just getting back to running after back surgery.....happy I didn't drink too much recovering from that nightmare.

Of course.....the OP was not talking about what I described Smile

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!