blisters (Read 56 times)

Gizmo2019

Im assuming blisters are mostly for newbies? ive been increasing my miles just recently while wearing shoes that are around 400 miles old (just bought a new pair recently). i wear balega socks that i bought....geez like in 2014 BUT ive been wearing them on and off over the years, and not consistently until this last 1-2 years. There's no real signs of wear or tear in them...im quite impressed, i bought them for like $7-8 a piece!

last week after my 5.14 mile run i noticed baby blisters in the center of my foot, starting below my 2nd toe and there are 2-3 in row, in a straight line going down along the length of my foot. same with my right foot but those are less prominent and maybe even going away.

ive been soaking both feet is epsom soaks (mostly for this callous i have had for months on my left toe), i lotion, i try to remove my socks and shoes immediately, i cover all those areas with tape.

ive heard of deoderant/anti-perspirant, vaseline, a&d ointment, moleskin, drinking water, tea tree oil, powders, barefoot walking to toughen the skin up, etc.

whats worked best for everyone here?

should i not be soaking the blisters?

how often do you change your running socks?

why am i getting blisters in the exact same place on both feet/what am i doing?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Anyone can get blisters, not just newbies. Why you would get them in lines down the center of the feet is a mystery, maybe your feet are kinda flat and rub against the arch support? Another thought is the blisters are a reaction to bug bites or allergies or some type of germ or virus you've been exposed to and are not running related. I usually get blisters between the toes from rubbing friction. My preventative is to rub coconut oil over the bottoms of my feet and between the toes. This provides lubrication and softens the calIouses. I buy extra wide shoes to allow plenty of toe room. I don't know anything about soaking feet or covering areas with tape. I am low tech, I just buy a cheap package of white work socks to run with and use them until they get large holes in them. Make sure your socks are not folded in a crease when you put them on. See what rubs against the middle part of your feet as a possible cause, Perhaps replacing the insoles might help, maybe ones with different arch support.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

runnin gal

The best treatment for a blister is to use a needle (that has been soaked in alcohol) to make a small opening in the blister so the fluid can drain out. Do not remove the top of the blister.  I have used Band-aid brand Blister Bloc bandages that stay in place for a few days- even in the shower! Other brands make similar items. To prevent blisters I use Body Glide stick on any area prone to friction. It does seem like an unusual place on your foot to blister, as mentioned previously just make sure your shoes/socks fit properly.  I used to have some thin double layer socks- Wright socks- that helped prevent blisters, you might see if those are still available.

ELnEC

The placement of the blisters you describe is a bit unusual.

I am no expert, but I am scratching my head a bit (like others here) trying to picture how you are a getting friction pattern like the one you describe down the length of your feet.

I also wonder if double socks would help. Like the poster right above I have heard of Wright socks (https://www.wrightsock.com/collections/womens-socks/products/running-ii-tab-socks?variant=4183189880873)  as good double socks; there are no doubt other good brands around too.

Gizmo2019

It is an unusual spot. My husband thinks they may just be calluses  but there’s a tiny circular hole on top of each tho they aren’t quite filled with fluid (at least it’s not obvious). It’s definitely raised skin “bumps” hardened and slightly painful.

he also thinks it could be from running downhill.

it seems to be reducing, but I thought it was an odd spot. It’s As if I walk barefoot and my feet are flat. I’m not sure if I was clear or not but it’s on the soles of my feet. It’s completely centered at the natural crease between big toe and 2nd toe. Strange. But I used a&d today with gauze and tape for a quick 2miler on hills. Seemed ok for now. Also new socks just came in. I will try doubling up too and body glide stick too.

thanks!

runnin gal

Your description now has me wondering if these are plantar warts, esp since you mentioned having a "callus" for several months. Warts are caused by a virus and can spread from one spot to another.  They are also much more common on the area you describe.  See a dermatologist.

rmcj001

Don't sound like blisters and plantar warts is plausible, but could be a clogged sweat ducts as well.

Ray

Gizmo2019

Your description now has me wondering if these are plantar warts, esp since you mentioned having a "callus" for several months. Warts are caused by a virus and can spread from one spot to another.  They are also much more common on the area you describe.  See a dermatologist.

Gross!! I hope not. I’ll look into it. They seem to be going away, but I’ll keep an eye on it. The callus on the side of my pinky toenail seems to be more of a corn. Ugh I’ll never be a foot model.

Gizmo2019

Definitely not plantar warts but looks like plantar calluses. Typically formed from plugged ducts 👍 very annoying regardless.