Nissan Toronto Ten-miler | Race Report (Read 376 times)

Woke up at 6am and just didn't want to get out of bed, congested, tired, not feeling like a champ. Dragged myself out of bed and went downstairs and had some breakfast, yogurt with granola, water and cytomax. Pinned my bib to my RA shirt and gathered my stuff and was out the door by 6:40. Short drive to the Distillery District and got a decent parking spot in a Green P. Picked up my Timing Chip, as it started to rain. Zip tied the chip on my shoe, didn't have anything to clip the excess off... boo. Short warm up run to get the legs going, felt pretty good. Got into my corral with lots of time to spare. My plan was to go out at 8:30 for the first 5 miles and then pick up the pace on the way in if I was feeling good. The 5K and 10-miler started at the same time. There were so many bodies in very narrow lanes. Got much better after the 5k turn around. Saw one dude fall on the turn, the roads were slick. -----The Splits----- 8:16 - Felt good this mile, a little quick but that was the race energy 8:32 - Settled into my planned pace and felt OK. 8:33 - Started to slow here...... 8:41 - This is where I knew it just wasn't my day. It was windy out on the spit and I was looking forward to a tail wind after we finished the loop. 8:49 - Could not keep to the planned pace. struggle! 9:06 - It kept getting worse. Walked about 100 metres. 9:16 - walked a water station. The wind had changed direction and it was a head wind again. 8:52 - Got a bit of a second wind around 11-12km... tried to pick up the pace 8:59 - Gave it everything I had to stay under 9 minute pace. The wind on Commissioners was killing me. 8:55 - Wasn't feeling great but was better than the woman who was having trouble walking a straight line, and got freaked out when I saw a guy passed out with EMT and Police attending to him (250 metres from the finish) I hope he is OK. 1st 5: 43:36 2nd 5: 45:21 Was about 3.5 minutes off my goal pace but I think I gave it everything I had on this particular day. With the rain, wind, and humidity it wasn't great for racing. The winner was 4 minutes behind last years winning time. The finishers medal is really nice, thick ribbon with the race name, the medal itself has the Distillery on it. Very nice. Good finish chute..... they had Potato Chips... my post run craving... so that was awesome. Grabbed an Americano and Croissant from Balzacs for the drive home. http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/ Next race is 15k, A Mid-Summers Night Run on August 16.
      Considering how your day went, and the headwind, that's a very good result! I had thought about entering, but decided against it because of the hot weather that was likely, and the travel and early start. I think you have to feel good you broke 90 minutes on that particular day. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

It's been tough running in Toronto the past few weeks with the warm, humid weather. Nevertheless, good effort. Maybe it was something you ate the night before? Wink
          Great report! I don't like that race - it brings out some really good racers. I did the 5k last year and although it was my last PB, it didn't feel good. Someone told me at 4K that I was almost there and I powered it on just to run out of gas at the end. Darn. I was there in spirit. Don't sweat your result - the weather has been pretty lousy for running the last couple of weeks, that's for sure!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Thanks everyone....... I'm content with my result.... not excited... not pissed..... I fell that I got everything out of the day. I'll get it next time. Jason MTA: Ruth, I've heard good things about A Mid Summer Night's run... I'm looking forward to it. You should do Scotiabank.... I'm going to run the Toronto International Half but I'll be there to cheer everyone on at Scotiabank.
              Good time anyway, running into winds off the lake may slow your time but they are great workouts. Was thinking about doing the race but decided to just carryon with my training sched. There's about 6 Ra' ers doing Midsummmers night, I'll be running 30,

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius