Tips for preventing bowel movement during distance races (Read 475 times)

Julia1971

I agree with Ileneforward re the stomach upset.  Certain foods do not agree with me when it comes to running and salad would be on that list.  Try eating something else for a few days and see if it helps.

As far as the bowels, in addition to what others suggested, you might also want to try warming up a little and then hitting the port-a-potties.  And, I would definitely try Immodium before race day to see how it effects you.

+1 on the Imodium.  I can eat anything the night before and as long as I get my coffee early enough I am good to go.  Then top off with a couple Imodium right before the start.

My DW had issues quite often during marathons. For her cutting out pasta/rice actually helped.  She switched to sweet potatoes for her carbs and has a lot fewer problems.  Maybe because they are more fibrous?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not sure, I need to get back to eating sweet potatoes though as I haven't been for a few weeks and I love them so much. I'll stop the salads starting next Monday, it's just strange because my diet has been the same for pretty much a year, nothing really ever changes for me.

I'll definitely try immodium this Sunday right before my 9 miler, hopefully nothing bad happens during the run itself. I'd sure hate to have to call DH and have him wake our little tot up and come get me lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Julia1971

FWIW, when I take an Imodium for a race, I usually take it a couple hours before race start to give it time to work.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

K, if it doesn't hurt me this Sunday I'll take it  2 hours before the race next Saturday.

FWIW, when I take an Imodium for a race, I usually take it a couple hours before race start to give it time to work.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

jfa

What Zoomy said.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not sure, I need to get back to eating sweet potatoes though as I haven't been for a few weeks and I love them so much. I'll stop the salads starting next Monday, it's just strange because my diet has been the same for pretty much a year, nothing really ever changes for me.

I'll definitely try immodium this Sunday right before my 9 miler, hopefully nothing bad happens during the run itself. I'd sure hate to have to call DH and have him wake our little tot up and come get me lol.

Maybe something you ate just disagreed with you.

SillyC

My Plan A is to wake up early in the morning, have a coffee and a bran muffin, and hope that magic happens.  If by 90 minutes before my race, my morning has not been, uh, productive....  Plan B  is that I take an immodium.

Don't  overeat drastically the night before the race.  There's this old idea that you should eat a whole damn box of spaghetti.  Don't do that. You probably still should eat a good meal the night before your race, but when I overeat the night before, I end up having to poop a lot.  Not necessarily an upset stomach, per se, but there will be a large volume of material making it's way through.

Good luck!

delicate flower

I'm up at least an hour before I have to head out for the race.  I pound some coffee first thing in the morning and wait for it to work it's magic.  I eat basic carbs and protein the day before, and have a protein shake and bagel for breakfast.  I'll sip water on the way to the race.

Nothing gets race day off to a great start like a good poopin'.

<3

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nothing gets race day off to a great start like a good poopin'.

I swear, my pre-race stress levels can be cut in half or less simply by feeling like I've cleaned house...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I swear, my pre-race stress levels can be cut in half or less simply by feeling like I've cleaned house...

I'm sure that 99% of my pre-race stress is caused by poop / pee worries.

steph  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

+1  So far, I haven't had "elimination" issues during a race, other than worrying about it more than necessary.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am hoping that maybe it was something my body just didn't agree with, maybe I didn't drink enough, maybe it was just a fluke....  I will be so much more comfortable if I can clean house a couple days before the race and before the race. Thanks for tips ya'll, maybe someday I will have this perfected lol..... all was good at St. Louis's half marathon last April until mile 11, and I had to stop.... lost 2 minutes on my time.

Also... I did not eat or drink before Sunday's long run, that might have been an issue with it being 12 miles. I'm relatively fine on my shorter runs with an empty stomach.

PRs

Wandering Wally

Nothing gets ANY day off to a great start like a good poopin'.

FTFY  ;-)

Never tried Imodium.  A couple of slugs of hot coffee will generally get things going for me.  I will have to try Imodium on some long runs and see what happens.  I don't want to lock up the works for a couple of days after or anything.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SillyC

I am hoping that maybe it was something my body just didn't agree with, maybe I didn't drink enough, maybe it was just a fluke....  I will be so much more comfortable if I can clean house a couple days before the race and before the race. Thanks for tips ya'll, maybe someday I will have this perfected lol..... all was good at St. Louis's half marathon last April until mile 11, and I had to stop.... lost 2 minutes on my time.

Also... I did not eat or drink before Sunday's long run, that might have been an issue with it being 12 miles. I'm relatively fine on my shorter runs with an empty stomach.

Wait -do you poop before you head out, or not?

That makes a difference.  Pooping in the morning is kinda normal, because coffee, waking up, and eating/drinking all stimulate the gastrocolic reflex, which is what starts the whole pooping process.  If the poop doesn't reach it's finish line before you reach the start line.... you are going to be pooping during the race.  You just are.

A lot of us are saying that if we poop before the race, we don't have to poop DURING the race.

My personal opinion is that if you don't poop before the race, nothing short of medication is going to prevent you from pooping DURING the race.  If you poop before.... but STILL keep pooping during the race....  again, the meds might be a good idea.