Help! 8 weeks until... (Read 745 times)

...the Hartford Half Marathon or Marathon. I'm having a very difficult time deciding if I'm ready for the challenge of 26.2. I know that around 30mpw, my milage is low for a marathon. I just don't feel like a runner without completing the golden distance. I'm looking for a little advice from the veteran runners out there. If you have a minute to take a look at my log and let me know if you think a 3:45 - 3:50 is realistic, I would greatly appreciate it.
      hmm. I initially thought I'd be saying go for it. My first marathon was when I was 29, and I'd only started running in June of that year (marathon was week before t-giving, IRRC) But frankly, I had gotten in more long runs by where you seem to be now. I gather your marathon is in mid October. I had a whole 'nother month to train/taper. I'm gonna say no. Do the half. I just don't feel like a runner without completing the golden distance. Why? If you put one foot in front of the other, you're a runner in my book. As far as I know, there's no movement to ban the marathon, so you'll have more opportunities. Unless perhaps you have some incurable disease/premonitions and know you will die shortly after this marathon, in which case, I'd say WTF, go for it.
        You would be a lot better off in a Marathon if you had some longer runs.....it looks like your max is about 14 miles....but you should have at least a couple at 20 and maybe even a 22 miles..... Upper 20s and lower 30's (MPW) will carry you thru a marathon (it just might not be much fun) and with a lack of really long training runs, It's my opinion that you are flirting with issues, injury or a miserable experience....(none of these are fun)..... My recommendation (for what it is worth) is to continue your training and build a little and this year run the 1/2M....cause your training makes sense for a 1/2...... Up your mileage into the upper 30's and 40's and get a number of 18, 20 and even a 22 or so under your belt and then readdress a marathon..... First time in a marathon -- Forget about how fast you want to run it......simply focus on completing the distance.....you wont believe what happens to you at mile 23 and on....... Completion at any pace is marvelous first time marathon goal (again - my opinion) You are right on track for the BIG ONE - just not this year - you have a little more work to do - BUT YOUR CLOSE (again - my opinion only).........

Champions are made when no one is watching

missy1102

i agree with the above posters. is it possible for you to finish the marathon come october? probably. will you meet your time goal? probably not. wil you hurt like a mofo and possibly risk injury? probably. plus at first glance, it seems like you are training for a half marathon (seeing as your longest run has been 15 miles and your total MPW). if i were you, i'd focus on running a fabulous 1/2 marathon and then put in some serious training for the marathon. your turn will come, my friend Big grin
            ^^^ What all of them said! ^^^ Do a FAST and comfortable half-marathon and have an exceptional experience vs. a slow and painful marathon (which is still an exceptional experience).
              I would agree that you are a little light on the long runs. Run the half, and continue to build your base and long runs. Tackle the marathon next year. Good luck.
                I'm not sure if you should do it or not, but I wanted to chime in on the long run issue. My marathon's a week after yours, and while my base mileage is a bit higher, my longest run so far has been 15 miles. I still have a 17-, 18-, and two 20-milers prior to taper, and that includes two step back weeks. That makes me think you could still get in those long runs--maybe a 16, 18, and 20--if you really wanted to do it. You'd be undertrained, given your base mileage (I'm sure some will feel I'll be undertrained peaking around 50), but I think you could get the long runs in.

Right on Hereford...

I just don't feel like a runner without completing the golden distance.
                  Why is that?
                  C-R

Run the marathon to finish but racing would not be at your peak based on your log and my personal experience. I've run marathons on 30-40mpw and a long run of 17 and made these around 4 but they were not my best. To race, I find I need 45+ mpw for several weeks (I will have ten of these prior to my marathon) and long runs up to 23 to get my body ready. BTW - I'm no speedster and 20 minutes off BQ as of now. What I have found is that my body is much more ready for the pounding if I put in the miles. If I have reduced miles, I have reduced times or if I push it bad things can happen = injury. I see others have given similar advice and the race a HM is a good one. You've the miles for that. I'm not 29 and older runners do things differently. Race if you think you are ready but be keenly aware of your body during the race so you don't cause damage that keeps you off the roads. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

Run the marathon then, find out what all the fuss is about. Maybe you'll get hooked. You're way better off than I was when I signed up for my first marathon.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

You have time to get some long runs in before then; 18 or 20 milers. Go for it. 3:45 finish? Maybe, but just finish healthy and be proud of it. Worry about time goals next time.

Runners run

Thank you all. I don't know how to just "run" a race so I'll race the half. Anybody with a good 7 week plan to get me under 1:40?
                            If I were you, I think I'd just run the first mile as a warm up and after that hit a nice comfy pace and do the distance......and have a fun tim....not worry about pace much.....then start building the distance and get some interval training going and then just continue to make progress (like you are currently doing)........Again, thats just me as we all have our thoughts on these things.... I guess Im so slow that I dont put too much weight on running fast......

Champions are made when no one is watching

"I just don't feel like a runner without completing the golden distance." This has to be one the biggest misconceptions there is around the various runner's forums. All you have to do is look at the top marathoners in the world. Virtually all of them spend much longer than the average weekend warrior working on shorter distances before moving up to the marathon. And in many cases their reason for moving to the marathon is because they have started to slow down, NOT because they believe it is any more of an accomplishment to run a good marathon than it is a good 10k. If you want to find out what it's like to run 26 miles, just go out some morning and run one on your own or with a friend if you can find one nutty enough. That's what I did before I ever put a number on and ran one (I couldn't find anyone nutty enough to do it with me). Wait until you've handled marathon training for a while before you pay to run one with a number on. You are doing pretty well off limited limited training and I'm sure you can improve a lot. Don't settle for crumbs.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                                "I just don't feel like a runner without completing the golden distance." This has to be one the biggest misconceptions there is around the various runner's forums. All you have to do is look at the top marathoners in the world. Virtually all of them spend much longer than the average weekend warrior working on shorter distances before moving up to the marathon. And in many cases their reason for moving to the marathon is because they have started to slow down, NOT because they believe it is any more of an accomplishment to run a good marathon than it is a good 10k. If you want to find out what it's like to run 26 miles, just go out some morning and run one on your own or with a friend if you can find one nutty enough. That's what I did before I ever put a number on and ran one (I couldn't find anyone nutty enough to do it with me). Wait until you've handled marathon training for a while before you pay to run one with a number on. You are doing pretty well off limited limited training and I'm sure you can improve a lot. Don't settle for crumbs.
                                I was waiting for your answer Jim. Thanks. I'll RACE the half!!!