Pain in ball of foot that goes away after 2 miles (Read 921 times)

derek

For the last 2 weeks the ball of my left foot has been hurting, but only for the first 2 miles or so of my runs. After that, it goes away and I'm fine. Is this something I should worry about? Google searching shows various types of causes. e.g, http://www.footpain.org/Running_Injury.html but I'm hoping that since the pain goes away after a couple miles, it's nothing too serious. Any thoughts?

Derek

Chris UK

I notice you have a serious increase in mileage over the last couple of months. It might be adaptations of your body linked to this (or of course overuse). I am just going through a similar phase and a week or so ago I had some aching in my right foot and a little bit of toe cramping. It seems to have gone away now. For me this occurred more at the end of my runs. If your problem continues for a longer period it might be worth getting it checked out and/or checking the condition of your shoes.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

You'll ruin your knees!

Derek, I have a similar problem that I have been battling for some time now. Someone suggested that plantar fasciitis sometimes can be painful in other parts of the foot besides the heel (most common manifestation of pain from pf). As a result, and due to the fact that I am quite frustrated with this issue, I am playing around with taping for PF ( see http://www.nismat.org/traincor/pl_fasciitis.html and/or http://www.heel-that-pain.com/plantar_fasciitis/taping/plantar_fasciitis_taping.php for "how to"). I haven't run with my foot taped yet, but just walking in dress shoes with the tape seems much better. Good luck with it! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

derek

Derek, I have a similar problem that I have been battling for some time now. Someone suggested that plantar fasciitis sometimes can be painful in other parts of the foot besides the heel (most common manifestation of pain from pf). As a result, and due to the fact that I am quite frustrated with this issue, I am playing around with taping for PF ( see http://www.nismat.org/traincor/pl_fasciitis.html and/or http://www.heel-that-pain.com/plantar_fasciitis/taping/plantar_fasciitis_taping.php for "how to"). I haven't run with my foot taped yet, but just walking in dress shoes with the tape seems much better. Good luck with it! Lynn B
          plantar fasciitis did come to mind, but as you mentioned, that seems to be more in the heel or maybe even in the arch area.

Derek

Why is it sideways?

Derek, Any numbness that lingers after the run? You might google Morton's Neuroma and see if your symptoms match. The neuroma is generally caused by too-small shoes that cause inflammation of the nerves between the bones of your feet. If it is neuroma, it's not too dangerous--a change of shoes and daily massage and you can run right through it...I've just run through a mild case by means of some expensive, but very cushioned shoes. Good luck.

Prophet!

i had the same type of pain for a while..switched to running in the AM and try to stay off the feet the rest of the day while working (may not always be possible). It happened in the early stages of my mileage buildup following the marathon. Might also be bursitis related to your recent mileage increase.
              derek

i had the same type of pain for a while.
                Was it like mine in that the pain was gone after running a couple miles and was fine for the rest of your run?

Derek

Why is it sideways?

I see that your original link had another link to neuroma, so guess that's not it. Sorry for posting without checking all links. I have a rule of thumb that tells me if the pain goes away during run, then continue to run. If the pain gets worse as the run goes on, then stop. My other rule of thumb is if the pain is so bad that I have to change my stride or limp, then no running. I think these two rules will distinguish the nagging and troublesome pain that's a part of running from the serious pain that is antithetical to improvement 95% of the time. Not too scientific, but these rules have worked out for me pretty well through the years.

Prophet!

Derek, Yup the same type of pain, right at the ball of the foot...it went away, and recently since i bumped up mileage and intensity sometimes i feel slight twinges on the same area but usually after a run and its minor enough to not bother me so much. Good luck with the shoe fitting, hopefully it helps. Oh and by the way i am still using the same shoes but did do a lot more of my running on the rubber track, so that might have had something to do with alleviating a lot of the pounding.