How much running is "healthy"? (Read 448 times)

Mike47

I recently read about a Danish study showing that running more than 3 times a week has negative impact on the body (especially heart), actually worse than not exercising at all. Has anyone an idea about what is resonable amount of training per week and what is the recommended max heart rate during workout?

Before I had problems with shin splints and runner´s knee but got rid of these problems just by improving running technique, stretching and recovery. Especially the technique was a game changer as I don´t get as much impact from each step. Got a lot of help from an ebook I found: 'Your running coach: 10k under 40 min injury free'.

My goal right now is a 10k under 45 min. Would like to go full speed with training but conserned about what is really a healthy level of training.

Has anyone an idea about what is resonable amount of training per week and what is the recommended max heart rate during workout?

most married men between the ages of 20 and 60 consider 2-3 workouts per week to be a reasonable amount of training.  women generally seem to think once should be more than enough.  max heartrate per workout is more tricky.  obtaining the relevant data never seemed like a priority.

(MTA: I guess my lame attempt at humor was more lame than I even realized, since everyone assumed I was talking about running)

as to running... you know that's an impossible question.  running 6x a week 50 miles a week over a period of 10 years is probably very good for you.  you will be in a lot better condition than if you do nothing.  you may also get more running injuries.

most married men between the ages of 20 and 60 consider 2-3 workouts per week to be a reasonable amount of training.  women generally seem to think once should be more than enough.

And let's not forget that women only run to lose weight, hate competition, and are bored to tears with this whole wacky running thing.

Joann Y

And let's not forget that women only run to lose weight, hate competition, and are bored to tears with this whole wacky running thing.

+1  But I am sorry. It's loose weight. We run to loose weight. Running is so wacky and boring. Where's my nail polish and headphones y'all?

most married men between the ages of 20 and 60 consider 2-3 workouts per week to be a reasonable amount of training.  women generally seem to think once should be more than enough.

And it's not that we think 1 workout per week is enough. It's not that at all. Ever seen Amy Schumer? Girl knows what's up.

Most married men consider any sort of running to be excessive and not healthy at all

Any sort of goal is a stress you don't need for your mental health either.

+1  But I am sorry. It's loose weight.

Correct. And if we don't loose weight, our frilly running frocks will chaff us.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Yeah, married women are fatties! 

Here's a response to that study -- lots of goodies at the link, but short version: the headline is overblown.  Ultrarunning might be linked with deaths from undiagnosed heart conditions, but training for a 10K isn't likely to be anything to worry about.

That said, anything more than 10-15 miles a week isn't necessary for health (though necessary to improve running.)  Some running, some lifting, some walking -- just move if health is your goal.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Always land mid-foot as the heal-strike results in breaking action.

Correct. And if we don't loose weight, our frilly running frocks will chaff us.

Liz

pace sera, sera

bhearn

The Right Dose of Exercise for a Longer Life

"... Scientists also have not known whether there is a safe upper limit on exercise, beyond which its effects become potentially dangerous; and whether some intensities of exercise are more effective than others at prolonging lives.

So the new studies, both of which were published last week in JAMA Internal Medicine, helpfully tackle those questions."

"... The sweet spot for exercise benefits, however, came among those who tripled the recommended level of exercise, working out moderately, mostly by walking, for 450 minutes per week, or a little more than an hour per day. Those people were 39 percent less likely to die prematurely than people who never exercised.

At that point, the benefits plateaued, the researchers found, but they never significantly declined. Those few individuals engaging in 10 times or more the recommended exercise dose gained about the same reduction in mortality risk as people who simply met the guidelines. They did not gain significantly more health bang for all of those additional hours spent sweating. But they also did not increase their risk of dying young."

and

"... But if someone engaged in even occasional vigorous exercise, he or she gained a small but not unimportant additional reduction in mortality. Those who spent up to 30 percent of their weekly exercise time in vigorous activities were 9 percent less likely to die prematurely than people who exercised for the same amount of time but always moderately, while those who spent more than 30 percent of their exercise time in strenuous activities gained an extra 13 percent reduction in early mortality, compared with people who never broke much of a sweat. The researchers did not note any increase in mortality, even among those few people completing the largest amounts of intense exercise."

BeeRunB

If you enter a state of overtraining or are constantly injured or your immune system is depressed, then you're doing too much. As long as you're staying healthy--fine. As for those studies--the heck with 'em. In the club I was in, I knew many runners in their 70's and I can tell you they were a helluva lot healthier and younger in look and in movement than the 70 year-olds I knew that never exercised. Doesn't mean they'll live longer than the average life span (something eventually gets everyone), but on the way to their demise there will be a definite difference in quality of life, and they'll be doing something they love to do.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

While sitting on the banks of the P’u River, Chuang-tse was approached by two representatives of the Prince of Ch’u, who offered him a position at court.

Chuang-tse watched the water flowing by as if he had not heard.  Finally, he remarked, ‘I am told that the Prince has a sacred tortoise, over two thousand years old, which is kept in a box, wrapped in silk and brocade.’

‘That is true,’ the officials replied.

‘If the tortoise had been given a choice,’ Chuang-tse continued, “which do you think he would have liked better--to have been alive in the mud or dead within the palace?’

‘To have been alive in the mud, of course,’ the men answered.

‘I too prefer the mud, said Chuang-tse. ‘Goodbye.’

Liz

pace sera, sera

Joann Y

(MTA: I guess my lame attempt at humor was more lame than I even realized, since everyone assumed I was talking about running)

Yes Doug, we women are smart enough to get your humor. I am sorry if I was a little too subtle in my response. Again, Amy Schumer, the TV show, can maybe serve as a primer into the mind of the female animal, exotic as it is.

+1

#artbydmcbride

Always land mid-foot as the heal-strike results in breaking action.

stop it!  stop it!  I can't take any more!  smiliegroan

Runners run

jpdeaux

Most of us don't run nearly enough for it to be too much.

I replaced the word exercise with the word sex when I read the study.

Makes for more interesting reading.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn