Retiring Shoes (Read 926 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Last week on two consecutive PM runs my knees and shins started to hurt. But in the AM my legs were fine running twice as long. I quickly determined that the shoes I was wearing in the PM were about dead. I made the painful decision to retire that pair. And so they sat at home with their tattered shoe lace ends and frayed linings; well worn and no longer bright white. One shoe lies on its side, too tired to sit upright. DW asks "when you are going to throw those out?" "How can I just toss them in the garbage like junk mail or uses napkins? I have an emotional attachment to these shoes. We have spent 500 miles of sweating together. We have run through snow, rain, and ice. Sunny day, cloudy days. Treadmills, sidewalks, roads, and trails. Part of my soul is in those shoes." "You're very weird" DW replies. And so I grabbed them just to get them out of sight and threw them in my trunk where four pairs of previously retired shoes live in peace and harmony among my car cleaning stuff and a few Bar exam study guides I can't force myself to throw away (lot of blood, sweat, and tears in those babies too). As a consequence my trunk has an aroma of feet and Armour All. Nice!
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

Now your soul shoes can help you mow the lawn and stuff. Keep up the great work, dude.

Tick tock

The Greatest of All Time

Now your soul shoes can help you mow the lawn and stuff. Keep up the great work, dude.
        That would be a reason for me to keep them inside, but we live in a condo and I, therefore, do no yard work.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

That would be a reason for me to keep them inside, but we live in a condo and I, therefore, do no yard work.
          well, well, then. If you ever get the hankerin' to do some mowing, give me a call. My yard loves soul shoes.

Tick tock

shonan marathon, girl

I have the same problem. I have old shoes hogging up space in the shoe cabinet. Too much attachment and memories to throw them out as well. I just bought 2 pairs of new NB shoes, so I guess I had better throw out 2 old pairs right away to make room for the new shoes. I wonder when my husband is going to say something about the numbers of shoes I have when he has only 5 pairs total.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

I just threw out a pair of shoes (too worn/ripped to donate) but you might consider that. Some running stores have such facilities.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I always have trouble retiring shoes. T-shirts too, I'm not sure how many holes one has to get before I let it go. Much worse than any of those though was finally saying goodbye to my first owned car almost 7 months ago. To say I had trouble giving my car keys to the donating site is an understatement. My lasting memento, seeing my Cyclops (from the X-Men) stuffed doll on my rear view mirror of my new car. I won it at a truck stop in Wisconsin when I moved to PA. Always brings up a few mixed emotions, although they are mostly just the good ones now. Yes
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, it was hard for me to let go of my first car, too - a 1982 white Camaro (the first year they updated the body). Oh, I loved that car! Its randomly-assigned license plate number was ZYP-989. We drove it all the way from Texas to Maine when we moved up here. Unfortunately, though, it struggled when we would try to drive through a snowstorm to get to a ski resort. We sold it and bought a pickup truck. Cry I heard that the kid who bought it wrapped it around a tree.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...Zeke. We still see him nearly every day. The kid who bought him is driving him and slowly bringing him back to sparkly prettyness. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

First I throw mine in the washer and then take them to school so my kids can practice tying them. They think that it's fun for some reason. Confused MTA the shoes and not the cars.... Tongue
                        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

First I throw mine in the washer and then take them to school so my kids can practice tying them. They think that it's fun for some reason. Confused MTA the shoes and not the cars.... Tongue
                          Yes...even a teeny Honda Civic will not fit in the washing machine.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why dont you take your shoes to the nearest nike store? I think they will take them for their recycling program. They take the old shoes and make them into tracks for high schools. At least you would be giving back to the community..... I havent done it yet, but I heard it through the grapevine (ha! I think this song was just playing on the radio at work, which is why i subconciously typed it)