How long do very light shoes last? (Read 903 times)

I wear two pairs of New Balance Minimus shoes MR-10 and NB 730.  Both pairs lasted longer than i expected, longer than the previous shoes I wore.  They don't have any padding or cushioning to wear out. 

I have the orange Minumus trail shoes.  They have 1366 miles on them.  The sole still is nobby, there are only a couple minor tears.

I do run alot of trail in them too.  I do not plan to replace them until they are unusable.

I was mostly concerned about the sole, especially the heels, wearing out.

From the replies it definitely seems worth a try.

Thanks!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I have a pair of Inov8s that are about 6 ounces.

They have almost 1,200 miles on them.

So, I wouldn't say something minimal and light won't last.

+1 on the Inov8's.  My 195's have 800 miles and have plenty of wear left.

dallison

registered pw

I had just purchased a pair of asics GEL-Lyte33 to add in rotation with my cumulus and kayanos. I was thinking the same thing where they would wear out quicker. So far i like them and hope to be able to do long runs so i can drop 20 minutes from my marathon time.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

400 on my Kinvara 2s, and they still look and smell better than any other shoe I've had that had over 300 miles. But I'm starting to get twinges in my right foot that feel like an old shoe problem, so I just ordered another pair.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Seems to me that the lighter shoes last longer.

yes

drrbradford

Worn out soles + shoe goo + cheap rubber replacement soles = double lifespan.

It's a bit of a faff around to get the repair done nicely but worth the effort since you can easily get another couple of hundred miles (or more) for a small cost.

Purdey

Self anointed title

"Bradford's alive!"

drrbradford

To quote Will Smith: "My life got flipped-turned upside down" ... "in the summer, summer time". In short I'm not going to be getting my doctorate from University of Manchester and it'll probably be some time before I get one from anywhere else. Soon I shall start paying taxes. Long story for another time.

Purdey

Self anointed title

To quote Will Smith: "My life got flipped-turned upside down" ... "in the summer, summer time". In short I'm not going to be getting my doctorate from University of Manchester and it'll probably be some time before I get one from anywhere else. Soon I shall start paying taxes. Long story for another time.

Sorry to hear that fella.  I look forward to a) you paying taxes and b) watching you get under 30:00

I had just purchased a pair of asics GEL-Lyte33 to add in rotation with my cumulus and kayanos. I was thinking the same thing where they would wear out quicker. So far i like them and hope to be able to do long runs so i can drop 20 minutes from my marathon time.

20 minutes just by getting lighter shoes? Hope that works for me too!

I wish I had known it was that easy....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

NYCNorma

Not sure if this is relevant either, but the Brooks Pure shoes are made to last 250-300 miles.  (says as much on the box)  I tried on a pair of either Cadence or Flow, can't remember, and ran a couple of miles on the store treadmill.  They were really comfortable, but when I saw the mileage on the box I asked one of the staff people about it.  She said she had squeezed 300 miles out of two pairs and barely 250 out of a third, but that was it.  

So yeah, I think it totally depends on the shoe and materials.

Not sure if this is relevant either, but the Brooks Pure shoes are made to last 250-300 miles.  (says as much on the box)  I tried on a pair of either Cadence or Flow, can't remember, and ran a couple of miles on the store treadmill.  They were really comfortable, but when I saw the mileage on the box I asked one of the staff people about it.  She said she had squeezed 300 miles out of two pairs and barely 250 out of a third, but that was it.  

So yeah, I think it totally depends on the shoe and materials.

Depends on the runner, too, I must say.  One of my buddies runs in the Pure shoes and broke 1,100 in them.  My dad got almost 1,300.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

dallison

registered pw

20 minutes just by getting lighter shoes? Hope that works for me too!

I wish I had known it was that easy....

This along with more training should work for me.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

I wear my light fast shoes for racing and speedwork. I use lunaracer which only last about 300miles for me. I use a heavier more durable shoe for bulk of my mileage. I believe this is what most experienced runners do.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "