Tips for slick surface runs? (Read 803 times)

sluggo

John

I can add some thoughts.

2)

Yak trax worked for me the few times I have used them. I am able to run on clean streets most of the time.

I suspect that they will break if used often.

3)

I did a lot of running through slush, water, and snow way back in the late 70's. I used a normal cotton sock, slipped a large plastic baggie over it, and then added a 2nd cotton sock.

Crude but it kept my feet dry and warm for 5 to 6 miles. The baggie things were even good for 3 or 4 runs before wearing out.

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

...Now, I see a lot of folks have these, so they must work for most, but they surely didn't for me.  If you are in fact contemplating getting something like this, be sure to give it a try in the store/indoors before you head out, just in case you have the same issue.

Whether something works or not may depend on a lot of things - the environment, frequency of use, stride, etc - including the perception of what it means to work.

I know I've progressed from yak trax to ice joggers (or vice versa) to screw shoes to stabilicers (sports, lites) to kahtoola microspikes as newer products came out, and I ran under more conditions and was looking for a better mousetrap. Yaktrax aren't too bad in the right kind of snow, but they do fall off.. Some friends of mine usually use icebugs, but they only work up to a point, and then they use their microspikes for the mountains. I discovered that I could jog in screw shoes but they didn't have that much traction for a workout, not to mention almost sliding off a mountain trail. I got microspikes after that. I'll usually use microspikes or the ice joggers (studs) now just because they work better for me under the conditions I run in. Also, the microspikes don't cramp my toe box like the others do.

I consider yaktrax dangerous under some conditions, like hard ice. (don't ask how I know)  The outdoor store where I find the stabilicers said they started carrying those and didn't carry yaktrax anymore because too many people broke the yaktrax and complained about them. I forgot to look in the grocery store today, but I think some grocery stores or wal-mart-type stores may still carry yaktrax. They probably have the studded stuff also since they're cheaper and work better on ice, like their parking lots.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      dallison

registered pw

I agree. shorter steps allow you to possibly catch yourself compared to an extended/normal step has your leg further ahead and out from underneath you and you could pull something worse.

In the snow i wear trail shoes for the traction.As others have said, the slush is a PITA.  This is the winter and should normally be a rebuilding period. Nothing is really fast anyway.

I have run on refrozen ice, you know the stuff where tire tracks made and then refroze,  and it made my arch ache a little but the next day it was fine.

.  Slow down, don't make sudden changes in direction, and shorten up your stride; forget trying to run fast workouts until you find some clear ground.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

some call me Tim

Trail shoes are pretty good in packed snow.. and nothing works for ice. My salomon speedcrosses I feel are a good compromise between breathability and water resistance, but if I get a soaker it's still pretty unpleasant. This year I ponied up for snowshoes (though in the past I really wasn't dedicated enough to run through the winter), so now I can run in all kinds of places, even if pace is kind of out the window. I'm looking at it as a way to really learn to train by intensity.