Running while sick (Read 663 times)

I've got a head cold, and I want to run so badly. Due for a 10 miler today as I am trying to increase my mileage, but I have come down with some type of cold where my throat hurts and I've began losing my voice. I feel decent, but nonetheless, I'm not top notch. I don't want to take a whole lot of time off, because I want to increase the mileage like I should be, but I also don't wanna make everything worse. What do you do?
    mikeymike

I run unless I have a feever or just simply can't.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

above the neck symptoms go for it below the neck symptoms take some rest. unless it is the lingering cough that is hanging on for weeks on end and then I go out easy and see if I make it worse or better.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Non ducor, duco.

Go for it. If it was race day, you would run.
            I ran a couple of weeks ago with a cold, and I felt much better after the run.
              I'm not a doctor (yet, haha) but from what I do know, like Ennay said, if your symptoms are above the neck - sneezing, sore throat, headache, runny nose, etc. - then it's fine to do some easy exercise. I don't know that I"d attempt 10 miles, maybe go for half that and see how you feel. It's easy to overdo it and make yourself sicker. However, if you are experiencing full-body aches, shivering, or upset stomach, then definitely take a few days off. You'll get better much faster.
                I'm not a doctor either and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But, I say go for it. Just start real easy and your body will let you know if it's a good idea.
                  I have never felt worse after an run than I did before it. Even a short run to get your blood moving usually helps get your body feeling normal again. Then again, I'm not a doctor and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...
                  kcam

Dude - get out there and run. Maybe a little slower, maybe a little shorter, maybe both. Get your miles AND consistency up.
                      I am a doctor, just not a 'real' doctor..... What Ennay said, plus listen to your body. If you want to go for a run that's a good sign but if you are dragging yourself out of your sickbed just because your training plan tells you to that might not be smart.
                      Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Menace to Sobriety

If you're not running a fever I say run as much as you feel like. I have head and sinus stuff all the time and I always feel better after a run. Just do what everyone else has said and listen to your body.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do what you want. If you feel like running, run. If you don't feel like running, don't run. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. And I am not a not a real doctor.
                          kcam

Do what you want. If you feel like running, run. If you don't feel like running, don't run. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. And I am not a not a real doctor.
                            But do you play one on TV?

Bugs

If you decide to run (and I'm guessing you will) if 3 miles in you're straining to complete the run, bail. Drink lots of water. MTA: hope you are feeling better soon!

Bugs

If I don't have a fever, feel generally OK, and am not hacking up technicolor gunk, then I run. I did my 20 miler today with the beginnings of something in my head. I actually felt better during the time I was running.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright