The conundrums of a free site (Read 7716 times)

Grand Poobah

you should just put some adwords on the site...they're not too intrusive and will most likely cover your costs plus some...
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

COUNLD NOT GET PAYPAL TO ACCEPT THE DONATION. THERE IS ON SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The real conundrum of a free site is that I could pay $10 a month and not get the good running log that I get here for free. I also find it amazing that Active charges a service fee for registering you for the race when they provide no service to you, after all they don't mail you your bid and race number. Is it really worth that exta $5 or $10 to sign up on line rather than drop a check in the mail?
        I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
          Hmm.. Like i the good old fidonet bbs days.. Smile Lars

Running on the ocean

The real conundrum of a free site is that I could pay $10 a month and not get the good running log that I get here for free. I also find it amazing that Active charges a service fee for registering you for the race when they provide no service to you, after all they don't mail you your bid and race number. Is it really worth that exta $5 or $10 to sign up on line rather than drop a check in the mail?
            I keep repeating myself but I would have no problem paying a reasonable monthly fee for this website. If this website would happen to dissapear a ton of my data would be lost. And I agree about active.com. I hate them with a passion. If there is a possibility I always pay by mail instead of through active.com. They truly overprice their fees and their customer support is none-existing what I have experienced so far.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
            -- Jakob Herrmann
            my running achievements

goat

Finder of good newts

Finally got my butt in gear and donated. I work for a big 'ole e-commerce site and I have to say - NOT being dependent on sponsored links is a fantastic thing. We call them "the crack cocaine of the internet". If you do end up having to go the ad route - I would hope a sponsor or two would step up with some basic banners. Nike? Asics? Brooks? Roadrunner? Thank you Eric.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

QGirl

Eric, I truly appreciate what you have done here and assure you that this is the best online running log I've seen, and I've seen plenty!
                redleaf

Just wanted to add my thanks - just completed my first donation. (modified 'cause I can't always spell right)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I was baffled when I stumbled across this site, saw its features and realized it was free. I think for quite a few people, they will donate, not because they expect more than they already have, but just out of appreciation for a great site. I haven't donated yet, but definitely intend on doing it in the near future if I continue to use this site, as I expect I will. Thank you. JoeS.
                      I donated because I've used this site for a few years and have been lax in showing my appreciation. Smile Thanks again, Eric!
                        I'm po. Not yet donated, please forgive me.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm po. Not yet donated, please forgive me.
                          Donate a nickel. Don't freeload. You at spend loads on racing...
                            Donate a nickel. Don't freeload. You at spend loads on racing...
                            That's what she said... Sad

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just 'donated' an early Christmas present...

Running in Belgium
                              Ann