Leg Cramps (Read 870 times)

Ojo

This past week I have had several Charley Horse cramps. I have managed to catch before they have gotten ugly I think because I am so afraid of them! I used to get them a lot of was I was younger but haven't had them in years. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I do have a banana every day and have been drinking the same amount of liquids. I just hope to nip this before the marathon. Thanks!

Sara

MM #2929

Member Since 2008

Add a little more salt to your diet.
        This past week I have had several Charley Horse cramps. I have managed to catch before they have gotten ugly I think because I am so afraid of them! I used to get them a lot of was I was younger but haven't had them in years. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I do have a banana every day and have been drinking the same amount of liquids. I just hope to nip this before the marathon. Thanks!
        I've been getting them lately too (in my calves and arches), but I haven't been able to stop them before they get ugly. Those things hurt!!! I'm not sure if it'll will help enough but I started drinking this... In addition to eating bananas and drinking more water. I really hope that something helps! I don't like being woken in the middle of the night suddenly as my calf muscle is trying to turn itself into a rock. Angry

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is nothing smart about smart water. Drink water. Not too much. Avoid bottles.
            There is nothing smart about smart water. Drink water. Not too much. Avoid bottles.
            I knew you were going to say that!! I already felt guilty about buying that six pack (I rarely buy bottled water). But I was desperate for some sort of solution...and Smart water sounds good since I can't stomach Gatorade. I drink a lot of decaf iced-tea (that I make at home). I've heard this is as good as drinking water, what do you say? MTA: So what is your advice for helping to reduce leg cramps? Drink water (but not too much)? That's it? Undecided

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Drink water. Not too much. Eat bananas. The tea makes you pee. Too much water makes you pee. When you pee, you lose electrolytes. So eat more electrolytes and drink to thirst only.
                Drink water. Not too much. Eat bananas. The tea makes you pee. Too much water makes you pee. When you pee, you lose electrolytes. So eat more electrolytes and drink to thirst only.
                See, now it makes sense. Smile Thanks.

Michelle

There is nothing smart about smart water.
                  Actually... that's not entirely true. The marketing of it is smart... genius actually. Who'd a thought you could get people to pay that much money for water! Tongue
                    Actually... that's not entirely true. The marketing of it is smart... genius actually. Who'd a thought you could get people to pay that much money for water! Tongue
                    They got me with the "electrolyte enhanced" part. Blush At one of the races I did they gave Smart water out and that is where I first saw it.

Michelle

Menace to Sobriety

Drink Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Ojo

Thanks for all your responses. I know I don't drink enough water and tend to substitute Diet Coke Blush. Is eating more than 1 banana helpful or is one enough? I love them so I really wouldn't mind.

Sara

MM #2929

Running Dad

Drink Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator.
                          cuz it's got what plants crave. funny movie.. the first time only..
                          Things to do this year:
                          Not get an injury
                          Things done this year:
                          Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I know I don't drink enough water and tend to substitute Diet Coke
                            Are you thirsty all the time? If not, you are drinking plenty. Diet Coke will make you pee out your electrolytes.
                            xor

What if I salt my diet coke?

Ojo

Are you thirsty all the time? If not, you are drinking plenty. Diet Coke will make you pee out your electrolytes.
                                Not thirsty at all actually. Personally I really want to stop drinking the Diet Coke -- I will admit that I am addicted. Also, too expensive and I am tired of going to those recycling places where the machines are always broken. I am hoping that the legs cramps are just from overuse. They just scare the crap out of me because when I was in my 20s I got them a lot and didn't know how to deal with them. Thanks again for your help.

Sara

MM #2929