When should I start doing speed work again? (Read 129 times)

MonroeClark

Last April I took a shot at my first 50 miler which I wasn't prepared for and ended up injuring myself.  I ended up with PF in my left foot and what I'm guessing is runner's knee in my left knee.  Took plenty of time off then slowly started rebuilding my base pretty much from 0.  I'm back to about 30 mile a week and feeling pretty good.  Knee still feels a little weak at times and I've learned how to manage the PF.  I'm starting to get a little impatient with these slow runs and want to incorporate some speed so I can start training for another marathon.  So, my question is when should I incorporate speed work?  Should I be completly symptom free?  

Before "full fledged" speed work, a great way to introduce your body to faster running t is to do a few strides (100m fast pick ups) after your runs a few days/week.  The point of these is not conditioning, but rather feeling comfortable running fast but relaxed. After you've done this for a few weeks, then you can start doing some longer pickups (say 30s to 1 minute) during a run (2x active recovery time or longer).

Sometimes, this is all the "really fast" running you need to make big improvements

But, to answer your last question, I wouldn't start any true speed work with lingering PF or knee issues.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

First a major of myths you're concluding need to be addressed. There is absolutely no such thing as "runner's knee". That is a byproduct of lousy running technique.

Muscles are weak, joints aren't unless you've already physically damaged them.

Speed isn't the issue of a 50 mile race unless your income depends on winning it. Its an endurance event and that should be your training goal long before speed work for such an event is even considered, let alone a focus.

And if you've got Plantar Fasciitis, then that should be your interest to continue running simply because its indicative of lousy technique as well.

Far more important is the pain distribution. Most common is that knee pain originates in the stronger side of your body (right or left handed) and foot and ankle pain in the weaker side. If that's true with you as well, then its a technique issue.

I'd start there.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong