Recovery runs? (Read 1241 times)

Ria_runner

Should I run the day after my long run? 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Depends. When I was half training, I didn't run the day after a long run; that was my rest day. Some people here run 7 days a week and do run the day after. The best thing is to run consistently.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jjameson

Yes, if you can.  3-5 miles for you at an easy pace.  Try to run 5-6 days a week.  Your log looks like you are gradually increasing distance.  Are you training for anything? 

MoBramExam

Some runners feel better if they do.  I am one of them.  Usually 20:00-30:00 minutes with a 40:00 minute max time limit. 

Ria_runner

Yes, if you can.  3-5 miles for you at an easy pace.  Try to run 5-6 days a week.  Your log looks like you are gradually increasing distance.  Are you training for anything? 

I ran for years...At one point I was up to about 60 miles a week, and then I stopped due to injury for about a 8 months..I am increasing my mileage gradually because, although, I don´t have one scheduled, is to run a marathon, within the next 6 months...not to mention I just love running and doing high mileage. At this point I would actually like to run more, but I don´t want to rush myself and cause injury..

Some runners have been known to race the day after a long run. 

Here's a pretty good article on recovery runs. 

Some runners feel better if they do.  I am one of them.  Usually 20:00-30:00 minutes with a 40:00 minute max time limit. 

For most people, this is a good idea (light jogging pace). I do it when I can.  Though, yesterday, I did opted for 2 x pizza slice, w/ 2 minutes rest.

MTA: comma

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Though, yesterday, I did opted for 2 x pizza slice, w/ 2 minutes rest.

Was it active rest? cuz that can make a big difference. 

Was it active rest? 'cuz that can make a big difference. 

If you count everything else I ate and drank yesterday, yes, it was decidedly active.

MTA: apostrophe

Some runners have been known to race the day after a long run. 

Here's a pretty good article on recovery runs. 

Just because "some runners" do it, that does not make it a recommended practice.  Who are those "some runners"?  I'm curious to know.

A rule of thumb is; it's okay to do a race or tempo run followed by "EASY EFFORT" long run.  In most cases, long run in such circumstances are run at easy effort and "most people" use the first mile or two as a warm-up so there shouldn't be any problem.  Instead, if anything, this is where I'd actually agree with Hanson's training principle about not going a super long run but do a decent workout 2 days in a row.  On the other hand, going for a long run one day followed by a quality run like race, tempo run, or intervals is not recommended.  This is because long runs, in most cases, stiffens your legs UNLESS you do some follow-up easy run after the long run to loosen up and/or have a very good warm-up before the quality workout.  

I used to, when I was a hard-core, go for a very easy jog, even 15-20 minutes, on the evening of the long run day (usually Sunday in my case).  I found it made a huge difference in loosening up on Monday.  I would recommend going for easy run after the long run any day because it loosens you up so much better than not doing anything at all.  Easy jogging would (1) raise your body temperature to break down any scar tissue or blood clotting (inflammation) that might have happen from a long run/quality workout; (2) increase blood flow and oxygen and nutrient flow to the working muscle; (3) increase white blood cell level in the body to enhance and speed up any repair work that might need to be done.

Many beginners seem to have a hard time doing even some easy running, siting that; "If you run too much, you'd get injured..."  The actual fact is; most beginners either do the long run too much (too long) or too fast that they don't even recover within 12 hours to continue the next run.  If the aerobic effort is kept, you should be able to recover from a long aerobic run in 12-24 hours (barring muscle tissue breakdown).  So if you can't recover in time to go for the next run on the day after the long run, chances are; your long run is too long/too fast (most likely the latter).

Feeling the growl again

For most people, this is a good idea (light jogging pace). I do it when I can.  Though, yesterday, I did opted for 2 x pizza slice, w/ 2 minutes rest.

MTA: comma

If you guzzle a beer between slices you can count it as active. Fwiw I ran a 20- miler yesterday morning...I have been having a lot of nerve/tightness issues lately. I was pretty sore and tight in the evening, but I went out again anyways. I went stupid slow and all the people in my way reinforced that behavior. Now today I felt like a million bucks. I love recovery runs...you just have to not be afraid to run stupid slow.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

not an elite or close to it but running the day after a harder effort (LR, tempo,race etc) is one of the MOST important days for me.   very easy jog & sometimes even throw in a few minutes of brisk walking.  If I need or want a day off it will be the 2nd day after a harder effort. 57 tomorrow & run 5-6 days (most weeks 6 days).   just feels better the rest of the week when I do it this way.

Ria_runner

Thank you all for the advice...I and going to try trial and error, I ran at a very easy pace after last weeks long run and I felt pretty good, this week I took off the day after my long run. I am just about to leave to go for a an easy run and I will see how I feel...Although, most people post that it is a good idea to run the day after most training plans and experts(?) say it isn´t a good idea...I will just run and see....

Just because "some runners" do it, that does not make it a recommended practice.  Who are those "some runners"?  I'm curious to know.

I was just being a little tongue-in-cheek, Nobby. No hard and fast rules for recovery runs. I thought the article was pretty good at explaining their role. I like thinking of recovery runs, not as helping with recovery, but as a way to add some training volume without impairing recovery or other workouts. I'm definitely one of those people that feels much better if I run at least a little the day after a long run. 

Off topic but I've raced the day after a long run a couple times. I know it's better to race the day before a long run (like in Pfitz) but at times, I've had a race I wanted to run scheduled for the day after a planned long run. I just see how I feel that day and decide how hard to push. If I want to race it hard, I'll keep the long run at an even pace and not add a lot of quality to it. I'll usually follow that 2 hard days in a row with a couple days of recovery runs.