How long does it take you to get back in it from illness (Read 108 times)

Gizmo2019

i don’t get these 4-6 mos marathon training plans. They say minimum 6 mos. it can’t be straight. Everyone I know from elite to beginner experiences either illness or injury and they take time off.

I got hit with some pneumonitis after about 6 mos of training (super gradual). Took me about a month to restart running then maybe 3 weeks to pick up where I left off. I’m over 40. How long does it take typically for the average runner to get back to where they were?

ivd heard as long as you are out, it takes that long to get in it.

now I’m having strange heart palpitations and resting increased heart rate issues possibly related to food/digestion (first time ever!) 😡

Its never ending and very frustrating. I get to this high (for me) mileage /speed and then bam. And I’m not usually a sick person. Haven’t had antibiotics for over 15 yrs until a few mos ago. It’s like the running gods don’t want me. Do I push thru it or just give up , stop and recovery, start kind of all over?

sorry for the whining. I just don’t know how ppl follow these programs with no incidents. I’m only at 7.36 miles (that was 3 weeks ago!!) with a goal of 10 by August. I’m going slow as it is.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

7.36 a day or week?

how much were you running before?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

It took me almost a year after I started running to get enough of a base to think about running a half marathon.  My first half marathon was 1.5 years after starting running.  After running that first half marathon, I wanted to run a marathon one year later.  Wrong.  It took another three years (4.5 years total) before I was ready to run a marathon.  That was in 2007, at age 55. 

My brother, however, was ready to run a marathon about six months after starting running.  He was about 49 at the time.  A friend about that same age was ready to run a marathon one month after starting running.

We all have to work with the bodies that we have, and stuff that comes up.  My opinion: Forget the marathon training plans and focus on base miles.  When you can run 200 miles per month without beating yourself up, do some long runs, then run a marathon.  Then decide if you want to follow a training plan with the goal of getting the best possible marathon time.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about illness besides being sure your vaccinations are up to date, including for pneumonia, you get your flu shot yearly, wash your hands frequently, and avoid contact with sick people.  While running long distances can temporarily lower your immune system, I don't think you're at that point yet if your longest run is 7.36 miles.  Recovery from illness often depends on what kind of illness and how hard it hit you.  I've been back to normal training in a couple days after a 24 hour bug, but it's also taken me a couple weeks if I am bed ridden for 4-5 days by an illness.

You don't mention an injury specifically, but outside of sprained ankles, injuries from tripping and falling, and other trauma related injuries,  most injuries are avoidable and self inflicted by trying to do too much  too soon, e.g. increasing mileage too fast, running workouts too hard, not including enough easy or rest days, etc.  Smart training with gradual increases in work load (note I said work load, not mileage, because intensity is also a factor), can lead to years of injury free running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I had a similar situation to yours but not to the extent you had it. I was getting sick about every 3-4 weeks with colds, fevers, etc. I then started to take a 500mg Vitamin C pill daily and it has honestly changed my life I rarely get sick now and my training has excelled because of it. Try this and see if it helps you.

Gizmo2019

This helps thank you. I thought it was hopeless. No major injuries just minor ankle strains, muscle tightness that I’ve been able to

overcome with lots of massages and stretches so far. I’m a germaphobe and run on the treadmill mostly but wipe it down before and after plus hand washing. Can’t stand touching doorknobs etc.

tom , 7.36 is the farthest I’ve gone. My per week was about 20-25 miles. Right now I do about 5k 3 times a week. A 5 mile mid week and 2ish mile hills. Plus 2 miles of walking hills. I’m doing my own thing of increasing slow. Both speed and mileage at the same time. Intervals, speed, 45 min run, long run, rest, etc.

200 miles a month?!? I think that’ll take me years. My own plan is to reach slightly over 26.2 before a marathon.

Im just surprised when I hear some ppl say they just followed a group or a program. In some cases they were older than me...

iguess yes, we’ just deal with the bodies we are given.

Gizmo2019

I had a similar situation to yours but not to the extent you had it. I was getting sick about every 3-4 weeks with colds, fevers, etc. I then started to take a 500mg Vitamin C pill daily and it has honestly changed my life I rarely get sick now and my training has excelled because of it. Try this and see if it helps you.

I used to do this while I used to work in the school system. Nasty kids everywhere ❤️. I currently take D3 but maybe I should do a probiotic plus C. I also wonder/notice anytime my weight drops below a certain point, my immunity does. And it’s just a gradual 1-2 lbs if I run good hard runs for 1-3 weeks straight...

does this happen to others?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

200 miles a month?!? I think that’ll take me years. My own plan is to reach slightly over 26.2 before a marathon.

That's really the minimum preferred mileage level, especially if you are at all concerned about your time.  Runners can and have finished marathons on much less mileage than that. See almost any beginners training schedule.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This to me is a red flag that says you're focused too much on individual runs, in particular, the marathon.  You need what is called base miles, far more than you need a few long distance runs.  Ramp up your running - gradually - to 40 miles per week with mostly shorter runs, and you can have a good marathon experience. It may improve your general health as well. Run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast.

Gizmo2019

I had no idea that 200 mi a month was preferable! Mostly bc all the beginner training programs go up to about 20-25 mi for their once a week-longest run.

yes as of now im focused on a 10k in October which I’m hoping to get a good time (under an hr maybe?!?). But my long term goal is one marathon (for now) which I tell ppl that I just want to finish before they kick me out. But deep down I’d like something within the 5 hour (just not 5:59) 😬😬😬.

is this too much to hope for for a first timer?

I just feel like ppl train just for one marathon how is it possible For them to continue straight thru without the interruptions I’m experiencing. They just might not care about time I guess.

Is this a Spam Joke Post??

Are you a total newb runner?

200 miles a month training should put you under 4hrs for a marathon at the very least I feel.

If this is a sincere post...

I'm curious how long you've been running at at what mileage/week?

it sounds to me that you're running too much and not recovering, perhaps your legs/body can handle it, but apparently not you're immune system.

it's very common for runners to overdo it and get a cold, etc...or when too low of bodyfat/other sports.

I'd find a quality training program and follow that...

to answer a few of your questions you stated...

Many train and run a marathon once, yes, true,

but countless other serious or real runners, run many,

good luck!

keep us posted!

300m- 37 sec.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I had no idea that 200 mi a month was preferable! Mostly bc all the beginner training programs go up to about 20-25 mi for their once a week-longest run.

yes as of now im focused on a 10k in October which I’m hoping to get a good time (under an hr maybe?!?). But my long term goal is one marathon (for now) which I tell ppl that I just want to finish before they kick me out. But deep down I’d like something within the 5 hour (just not 5:59) 😬😬😬.

is this too much to hope for for a first timer?

I just feel like ppl train just for one marathon how is it possible For them to continue straight thru without the interruptions I’m experiencing. They just might not care about time I guess.

No need to panic, if I had asked for advice before my first marathon on here then I’d have feared that I would die. My mileage was ridiculous...maybe 15mpw average over 3 months. My following 4/5 marathons I still hadn’t reached 200 miles per month, but still made decent improvements.

My advice - when building up mileage, forget about structured speedwork and keep your runs at a pace that feels comfortable/easy...that will help you avoid injury and build endurance AND also benefit you in shorter distance races. I would also suggest some basic strength training in your routine.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

200 miles a month training should put you under 4hrs for a marathon at the very least I feel.

Have you actually read the OP?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Gizmo2019

This to me is a red flag that says you're focused too much on individual runs, in particular, the marathon.  You need what is called base miles, far more than you need a few long distance runs.  

Just curious, why is it not good to focus on one race at a time? Wouldn’t the training for a marathon create its own “base miles?”

I guess I’m taking bits and pieces from programs but mostly creating my own plan to accommodate my personal schedule. Ideally I’d like to do 2 longish runs and 1 longest run, with the remaining 3 days doing speed, strength or rest. I guess my goal was probably around 30-35 mi week which i suppose Isn’t TOO far off what you guys suggested, I think the 200 mi right in my face just shocked me!

when you say base miles are you talking about aerobic capacity?

just trying to learn here and you guys have been great teachers. Frightening at times but overall I’m getting a lot of knowledge.

i have heard both: all you have to be able to run is half of a marathon mileage and technically you’ll be able to finish a full.

then: you should train your body to run past the goal (26.2) so you don’t crash and so you can finish.

Gizmo2019

No need to panic, if I had asked for advice before my first marathon on here then I’d have feared that I would die. My mileage was ridiculous...maybe 15mpw average over 3 months. My following 4/5 marathons I still hadn’t reached 200 miles per month, but still made decent improvements.

My advice - when building up mileage, forget about structured speedwork and keep your runs at a pace that feels comfortable/easy...that will help you avoid injury and build endurance AND also benefit you in shorter distance races. I would also suggest some basic strength training in your routine.

Yes!  You’re right. I ALWAYS hesitate asking bc I know I’m a beginner asking a lot of pros and cringe when I read replies sometimes. But I wipe my tears and keep running 😂.

funny I’ve never seen that number (200 miles/mo) in any of the stuff I’ve read. Perhaps bc I only read for beginners.

Thanks for this tips. I will definitely use them!