How long do I wait?? (Read 465 times)

I think I stretched something in my ankle back in the winter, then bought new shoes that seem to have aggravated it.(Asics Gel Empire, damn shoes were also the source for shin splints). Anyway, I've taken a full week off, bought new shoes (nike vomero), I have orthotics (I've had for over a year now) and despite some residual soreness in the ankle I'm DYING to get back to running. I don't run far or fast, but I'm really hoping to train for a 1/2 in the fall. When should I get back at it?? How long do you rest a nagging injury or do you just suck it up??
      My personal practice, FWIW... I don't run through pain. Pain is bad, and means that something is going (or still is) wrong. I've learned this the hard way and lost a lot of time because of my stubbornness. If it's sore, you may want to consider easing back into your routine slowly, to avoid aggravating anything. I walk first, just to check stability and function. After 2-3 days of walking (without problems), I add some short, s-l-o-w running intervals to further test. I will generally build the running intervals up over a week's time. Back off if you feel any pain. Ice massage can help, too.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright