breakfast before HM (Read 817 times)

Ok, so my first HM is this saturday, start time 9AM. My question is should I even bother eating breakfast because when I get nervous I'm usually in the bathroom every 1/2 hr. So what would be the point? Would it be better to have a few bites of a clif bar like 10 mins before the race before my stomach has a chance to register nerves? You should see me at horse shows and its a lot harder to run to the bathroom when you're on a horse lol. I had a bagel before my last 10k race and I"m sure it was all gone long before the race Tongue Sorry if its tmi lol!
    AnneCA

I absolutely would, not because you'd necessarily need the food at 9:00, but because you'll sure as hell need it by 11:00. Personally, I couldn't make it until 11:00 on a couple bites of Power Bar, even if all I was doing was sitting at my desk, let alone running 13 miles. Maybe work on the nerves issue. Wink
      protoplasm72

Eat well the night before (not stuffing yourself or anything) and don't worry about eating in the morning. You aren't going to need it for a HM. Sounds like it will do more harm then good to eat.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

SMART Approach

Drink some Gatorade a couple hours before race. You top off carb stores and get your fluid. Sip sport drink throughout race. You will be fine.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

#artbydmcbride

I like a few almonds about an hour before a half marathon. I like to count out 12 of them to eat.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I like a few almonds about an hour before a half marathon. I like to count out 12 of them to eat.
              You are a nut.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

#artbydmcbride

Its true then? You are what you eat? Shy

Runners run

JakeKnight

Its true then? You are what you eat? Shy
                  In swampier environs, I'd have a witty comeback. Out here, I got nuthin'.

#artbydmcbride

Embarrassed I should probably watch movies more........

Runners run

JakeKnight

That's not an allusion to the pralines and dick flavored training is it? Black eye
                      I'm still shocked that nobody picked up on that movie reference. From one of the top 5 classics of all time. Eating almonds probably kills brain cells.

JimR

You don't have to eat anything, but if you do, keep it light (somethink like a slice of toast lightly spread with jam or pb...or both) or a bagel or something of that nature, and no closer than 2 hours before race time. You don't really need it, you've lots of fuel on board as it is, but it can help quell the tummy growls if you're prone.
                        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Eat well the night before (not stuffing yourself or anything) and don't worry about eating in the morning. You aren't going to need it for a HM. Sounds like it will do more harm then good to eat.
                          +1

Chris
                          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Old, Slow, Happy

Not that I'm an expert, but about 2 hours before the race I eat the same breakfast I have every day. I only eat about 1/2 as much as normal. My figuring is: My body is accustommed to it so I won't get sick from it. And...eating a little less will set less heavy in my stomach. I haven't had problems. I'm sure there are many other people with more experience, but that's what I do.
                              Pop Tarts. Strawberry. They're not only easy to eat before races, they're doctor-recommended!

If I wake up and go for a run without eating I am slow... if I run in the afternoon after work without a 3:00 snack... I feel sluggish... so If the race was at 9:00 Am... I would get up at 6:30 and eat me my normal breakfast of cereal but on the small side... about 1/2 of what I would normally eat... --- edit to say richard said the same thing as me... while I was writing mine.. lol ---