Shoveling Snow (Read 1388 times)

Tiefsa

We are just getting hammered with snow again this year in Wisconsin. Does shoveling snow count as a workout? I think it should. How should I record that in my log?
      Sounds like cross training to me. As far as the question - does it count as a workout? Hell Yeah!!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Former runner

I usually log it as strength training. Which reminds me. I spent about 30 minutes last night shoveling ice from my driveway. That was a good workout.

Ross

SMART Approach

Generally, I would put voluntary work outs in the log. Do you have a choice to shovel or not???? I am in Green Bay and going out to do the snow again for 3rd time this week. Sucks!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tiefsa

I don't know. This is brutal lately though. It's not like I can voluntarily go and run in the -30 windchill lately. I am putting it down. I envy people who don't have to deal with this. My back sure feels like it has got a dominating workout.

SMART Approach

Go for it. Just don't rest! Ha!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I shoveled 3 times in one day from that storm on Friday morning.

It must count because I shoveled a number of times over the weekend and my arms and upper body are very tired today....so it just has to count for something...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Tiefsa

I should mention that when I shovel, I go kinda crazy. I purposely try to get my heart rate up and get real tired. A couple times I didn't see where my little 3 year old son was when I was shoveling and I tossed a pile of snow right on him. He laughed and thought it was a game. No harm no foul, right. The worst is when you start off all cold, and then get sweating like crazy towards the end.

I already have nowhere to put the snow, so I push most of it into the road from the driveway and then down the road in front of the house where the plows aren't going to put it back in the driveway. I basically create a channel so that I can push about 3-4 shovels full at a time, and then move it onto the snowbanks in my yard (and eventually the shoulder).

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I should mention that when I shovel, I go kinda crazy. I purposely try to get my heart rate up and get real tired. A couple times I didn't see where my little 3 year old son was when I was shoveling and I tossed a pile of snow right on him. He laughed and thought it was a game. No harm no foul, right. The worst is when you start off all cold, and then get sweating like crazy towards the end.
                        so long as you don't keep going and bury him, I guess no harm no foul
                        amarrin1

maybe u should invest in a snow plow! i put 1 on my ATV and its great Smile no more back aches!
                          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

63 F NO SNOW IN THE FORECAST. YEA! I LOVE ATLANTA

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

49 degrees in Maine today - balmy! I hope it cools off a little now, though. Wink