Be careful everyone (Read 1996 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I got this letter from a friend of a friend. It happened on a hiking trail, but could just as well have been on a run. BTW this guy had a dog that helped "break the ice" when luring his victim (she had one too). Hey everybody- I am sure you have all heard about the hiker who went missing on New Year's Day and the guy who is in custody for kidnapping her. Her body was found today and I am sure they will be charging him with her murder. He is also suspected in several other murders in Florida , North Carolina , and Georgia . I wanted to tell you all about what happened to me so that you will all be aware of who you talk to and to pay attention to your "something is weird here" radar. The day before the girl, Meredith Emerson, went missing, I was hiking on the same trail on Blood Mountain . I saw the man who is suspected of killing her and I talked to him for about 10 minutes. He asked me if I was alone and if I had a cell phone. It wasn't particularly odd that he asked me those questions, because he worked them into the conversation. My radar did go off because he is very strange. I didn't feel like I was in danger because I was with a group that I was hiking ahead of when I encountered him on the trail. I'd like to think I wouldn't have talked to him if I was alone, but I probably would have- just to be polite. He was most likely 'shopping' me as a victim. He was walking very quickly ahead of me as we talked and I walked more quickly to be able to hear him and continue the conversation. I kept looking back to make sure I could see or hear my group. When the trail split, he went the other way than we did. My husband noticed that when we got to the bottom of the trail, the suspect, Hilton, was behind us. I don't know if he doubled back to see if I was alone or not. That encounter was a little too close to home. I always try to be friendly and polite, but I've found that is not such a good idea. Who cares if a stranger thinks you snubbed them? Just keep in mind that the world is full of bad people and that they are very good at manipulating situations to get you involved with them. Be safe and listen to your gut! "Stranger Danger" applies to grown-ups, too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

EEK! Shocked
      ---- Cynthia

Just Be

Wow, glad your friend of a friend is alright! That's scary! Surprised
          Crazy. Your friend's friend must feel very lucky! Must be scary to have been so close to what she now knows would have been death. It's a scary world we live in!

~Mike

Renee the dog

There's a decent book on this stuff -- how to listen to your fear and not become a worry wart at the same time. It's called The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence, and the author is Gavin DeBecker. There's an audiobook version. It talks about how to tune yourself to listen to your instincts. So, one doesn't have to go around fearing the majority of people. But it points out how to listen to the "ding ding ding" going off in one's head when something/someone isn't right. (not the best summary in the world, but hopefully you get my gist!) I disagree that the world is "full of bad people." I think it is not. But, it only takes one to ruin it for you. Black eye

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There is pending legislation to legalize tasers in MI. If it goes through it would be very tempting to have one. I'd really like to do some trail running, but it's stories like that one that freak me out too much to even attempt it, especially since the areas with trails have minimal cell phone reception.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, that is too close for comfort. I am generally not worried as a man, but I see women out walking and running alone at 5:00 AM, and even in a safe neighborhood I don't understand why they do it.
                "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com

dork.major dork.

Tim. I can't live my life in fear - that is why I do it. If I don't go out for my run, I feel like "they" have already won. I take self-defense classes, I don't listen to all the worry that my boyfriend has for my running routes, but I am careful... I don't know. It's tough and scary, for sure, but ultimately I need to live my life and that involves runs pre-dawn and post-twilight.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Tim. I can't live my life in fear - that is why I do it. If I don't go out for my run, I feel like "they" have already won. I take self-defense classes, I don't listen to all the worry that my boyfriend has for my running routes, but I am careful... I don't know. It's tough and scary, for sure, but ultimately I need to live my life and that involves runs pre-dawn and post-twilight.
                    I think it's important to remember the difference between caution and fear. Caution is being smart about danger where as fear is letting your emotions take over. I'm not sure exactly where the line between the two is in this case, but I do know a life lived in constant fear isn't very enjoyable.
                      I understand - I just don't understand Smile Does that make any sense? I at the same time cannot say anyone is wrong for doing it or not doing it. I guess I am just a bit overprotective, and would worry about my wife something fierce. She would probably tell me the same thing you did though Smile
                      "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                      My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
                      JakeKnight

Good post, Russ. I wish somebody would start one of these once a month or so. It never ceases to amaze me how often I see people being really stupid when they run (or hike ... or walk) in isolated areas. You don't need a taser or a gun (although it's fine be me if you want either one). You don't need a Great Dane or a German Shepherd (although that's a fine idea). All you need is a little common sense. Every time I run in our local park (at PWP), I see young women - alone - usually with an iPod blaring - and there are times I'm tempted to stop and ask them what the hell they're thinking. We have a wonderful series of trails to run on, but if you go up there on a weekday you can sometimes go an hour without seeing a human being. In other words, if you scream for help, nobody's coming. It's pretty simple: Run with a friend or two. DO bring a dog, but don't expect your teacup chihuahua to help much; get a real dog. And at least be vaguely aware of your surroundings. And if you can't do any of that and you don't care about your own safety, at least don't look at ME like I'm a frothing rapist just because I'm on the trail at the same time you are. And don't scare ME shrieking in surprise when I come up behind you. I wish I had a dollar for every time that's happened. I run like a lumbering elephant gorilla. I scrape my feet on purpose or cough out loud just so I WON'T scare you, princess. I'm loud. And if you still weren't aware of me, and you're still that scared ... well, just stop for half a second and imagine if I did want to hurt you ... you'd never have had a chance. You wouldn't even have heard me. It's a good thing most criminals are too lazy and out of shape to make their way up into those hills. You'd be easy game. Think.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

dork.major dork.

Smile Right on. I worry about other folks fiercely too, just not as much about myself... Blush I think it's about finding out how to live that fine line between caution and fear.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

JakeKnight

Smile Right on. I worry about other folks fiercely too, just not as much about myself... Blush I think it's about finding out how to live that fine line between caution and fear.
                            No need to worry or live in fear. Just a little common sense. It's a sad truth that there aren't many accidents, and I think most violent crime is preventable. And for whatever its worth, its not like I use all that much common sense myself. I'm heading out for a run - alone - in those same hills right now. But I don't weigh 100 pounds. I'm not cute. Or female. So I doubt anyone would bother me. Even if I wanted them to. And I'd like to think I can handle myself in most situations. But for the record, if I get mugged and murdered - somebody should point out that I was being a moron. Because that would be true.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Almost Ditto. Many activities are far more dangerous, statistically, than running. Alone. On roads. And trails. I am trying to find running partners - but honestly, it's not that easy to find people with a similar training schedule, pace, and real life schedule (time available to go run). At this point in my life, running towards my goals is important to me. I don't want to be a victim, but I also don't want to stay home wishing I were out there on the trails. I was following the disapearance and subsequent search for this women. And it really hit home, because she was out there just like me. She knew karate, she had a dog, she was a trail runner. Could easily have been me. I have been trying harder to find partnerts, and I will keep trying.
                              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Sandi Sue

I think that most of us are arrogant enough that we think we would be the one person that could fight off or get away from those crazy people that are out there to harm someone. However, because most of us think that way and people still get hurt or disappear, obviously it pays to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. I only use my ipod when I'm on the treadmill and not while on the trails or roads. I turn around and look if someone comes up behind me and I don't care if I may be embarrassed because they think I'm nuts or paranoid. I look people in the eye when they walk or run past me and try to appear confident and not afraid. That being said, I still have a good time running outside I just try to be careful. We have to watch out for more than just nutty people, there's lots of bears here using our trail system in Alaska.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever