Vote user group members off the island? ;) (Read 2113 times)

Al1

This is a sensitive topic. I'm not sure I like the 1000-mile club being a highest mileage contest. I liked it when the club was just a group of runners with the goal of 1000+ miles in 2007. I vote to do away with the leader board. For me, if I end 2007 with 1001 miles, I'll be happy. It would be a 40% increase over 2006.
    derek

I vote to do away with the leader board.
      I had made a suggestion to Eric to change the leaderboard to show those that are keeping pace with the bunny rather than it being for the top-10 runner. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/d36f89eb080647638983184a1439042b He said he would make the change when he gets a chance.

Derek

Good idea al! THanks Derek and Eric!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Al1

Even 2x the pace.... I'm in the upper level boards just for fun and I don't have any plans of ever seeing myself on their leader boards k
          Kristen....You're on the leader board in the 2000 mile club! Big grin
            I didn't mean to start a huge debate about the boards, though I do have to admit, I like my new nick-name (thanks JK!). What I really was referring to are the few people who seem to be raring ahead of all 4 bunnies. I would just drop them an e-mail them or un-member then, but I can't do either given the way the groups are set up. I was hoping someone here had figured out how to do so. I guess at this time it is not possible. Someone who is running 20 miles a week when the bunny runs 19 should not be banished. As said, the groups are about camraderie. And I guess if high-mileage folks get a kick out of kicking my butt, I can deal with it - glad I can help their puny egos out! Wink "The Tribe" (uhm, Jake, is that a comment on my musicality?)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kristen....You're on the leader board in the 2000 mile club! Big grin
              Ha, but that's only by default because there are 10 or fewer members in there...as soon as a few more people join my ass is grass on that leader board, too! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can only speak for myself but since I am one of the ones on the 1000 mile leaderboard that are potentially in question, I thought I'd provide a defense for myself. Big grin I ran competitively for 6 years. Then I took 10 years off and drank as much beer as possible, gained all kinds of weight and did pretty much everything but run, really. I came back to the sport last year and put in just under 150 miles for all of 2006. When I became discouraged with the results, I decided that one of my main goals for the new year would be to put in the mileage rather than to run a certain time in a race (my goal for '06 was to break 5 minutes in the mile). 1000 miles is still very optimistic for me since I've probably only run a total of 300 miles over the course of the last decade or so. I apologize for being so far ahead of the pace bunny thus far but it's really just me being optimistic and overly motivated with an entirely new focus for the year. If I continue to stay healthy enough to log a good number of miles, I'll happily remove myself from the 1000 mile club and move up to the 1500 mile club. As a possible defense for some of the others on the leaderboard, please keep in mind that it's a new year. Many people have made new year's resolutions which may or may not stick. You should see how packed our gym is at work because of it! Chris
                  For me the purpose of any of those groups is to challenge oneself and not to keep competing with other runners. In any competition there are invariably going to be people who have more talent, more time to train, better equipment, better coaches and so on. Should they be kicked out of marathons attended by all of us? I feel absolutely inspired by others' achievements whether those are people who run for living of common folks like us. I have faith that people honestly record their mileage and when I see how far and how fast they can run it only makes me want to work more and achieve more. It gives me hope that maybe I can get to that level also. Just one more opinion... Ewa
                  I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                  RunningHammer

Looks like this could turn into a divisive issue. I too got a little annoyed looking at the leaderboard of the 1000 mile group but it's still too early in the year to make any assumptions and as Derek said, there will be peaks and troughs throughout the year. In any case i'd like to second the motion of board owners being able to boot group members. I also think Derek's idea for the leaderboard is a great idea, to list those who are most accurately reflecting the pace bunny's pace, rather than those who have the highest mileage. This might then make it a much less contentious issue! Big grin Cheers D
                    derek

I too got a little annoyed looking at the leaderboard of the 1000 mile group but it's still too early in the year to make any assumptions and as Derek said, there will be peaks and troughs throughout the year.
                      It really is too early. We shouldn't try and judge what someone is going to run for the ENTIRE year based on SEVEN days of running data. I think it's a bad idea to try and remove people from a "public" group. I'm a member of the Jiggly Joggers as I want to lose another 18 lbs (as of this morning). What happens when I meet my goal? Will I be asked to leave or be ejected since I would no longer be a Jiggly Jogger with a goal of losing weight? Would I then have to form or join a "Former-Jiggly Joggers" group? I don't know what GoPre's motivation was for being part of the 1000 mile group, but since he didn't run more than 900 miles last year, aiming for 1000 miles in 2007 is not out of whack. GoPre's only failing was the fact that he joined all groups and we can certainly ask he only be in one group, but it's not our place to tell him which group to join. Rather than focus on trying to get people kicked out of training groups, let's focus on lobbying Eric to change the leaderboard. I had a suggestion and there were other suggestions. The suggestions I've seen so far are: - Remove it completely. - My suggestion of including anyone that is keeping up with the bunny - Show the logged in individual on the leaderboard along with the others

Derek

va

My suggestion is that everyone should be sorted, not just the top 10. This way, everyone feels included, yet those who like the competition get to see where they stand with respect to the other runners.
                        vicentefrijole

It really is too early. We shouldn't try and judge what someone is going to run for the ENTIRE year based on SEVEN days of running data... .... but it's not our place to tell him which group to join.... Rather than focus on trying to get people kicked out of training groups, let's focus on lobbying Eric to change the leaderboard.
                          I agree strongly with derek on these points. Training goals are for the individual, let's not get hung-up on how everyone else is running. I'm definitely one of those people whose mileage comes in peaks and valleys (hopefully not too many valleys).. this mainly reflects my training goals for that week (peak before a marathon, valley right after) and my work schedule (I don't plan to train for a marathon this fall becuase I'll be too busy). So please don't kick me out if my miles start rising up, as they are likely to come back down at some point. That said, I think it'd be a great idea if the leader-board showed those who are closest to the bunny-pace (instead of the most miles). People who want to feel good about how high their mileage is getting could form a separate group for that purpose. And for the record: I'm in the 1000 mile group only and am right on pace. Big grin
                            This is a sensitive topic. I'm not sure I like the 1000-mile club being a highest mileage contest. I liked it when the club was just a group of runners with the goal of 1000+ miles in 2007. I vote to do away with the leader board. For me, if I end 2007 with 1001 miles, I'll be happy.
                            Al is spot on! There is in fact no need for a leader board as the only race is against the bunny. Nor should people have any justification for being upset at not featuring on the leaderboard, if your alongside the bunny then your there. Also we need to remember that it's only the 8th of Jan! Injury dependent I know there'll be a period where I'm planning on doing weekly mileage well above the 19 odd it takes to keep up with the bunny later in the year due to a race and that may also be the case for the current 'leaders' (although their not leading anything as there is no race- stresses point!!! Wink). They may have a current focus which will be balanced out by a very easy week afterwards. So let's not get too Angry at these folks because it should in time all even up and if somebody bags 1200/1300/1400..........miles then good luck to them and well done I say, keep it up!! The aim of the (brilliantly thought of by the way) group is to run consistantly for the year and I think most people 'get' that, likely including those who have cracked in some serious New Year mileage already (their expectation may still be to hit 1k for the year!). Those that don't, won't realise that those of us (me) who are 20+ miles behind them after 8 days (not saying that anyone who is 20+ ahead of me doesn't get it by the way, this is just for example!), aren't racing them but the bunny and that race is over 365 days. There will be only one winner (hopefully me) and one loser (the long eared chap) and that's it! Good Luck All! See You at the Finish Line! FC
                              We could probably go on and on with this topic for the remainder of the year. I agree with the idea of making the leaderboard include everyone that is either on pace or ahead of the pace of the bunny. This gives people an incentive to want to run those extra miles to keep up the "pace." I disagree, however, with the suggestion of removing the leaderboard altogether. While we're not technically racing one another, the whole purpose of this group is to motivate people to run 1000 or more miles this year. Seeing my name as being on or ahead of pace as the bunny does that for me. If my name was to drop off the list (meaning I'm no longer keeping pace to break 1000), then I'd have that extra motivation. On the other hand, if there is no positive or negative to running on pace or well behind the pace of the bunny, then what's the whole point of the group? The same goes for the idea of showing only those that are closest to the pace of the bunny. Wouldn't that make someone that's slightly ahead of pace want to run even less miles? Sounds counter-productive to me.

Cryptic

I just want to dance! Wink (Tell me some one caught that the above is a movie quote)