Vote user group members off the island? ;) (Read 2113 times)

bas

Whoops, I guess I wasn't clear. My suggestion was that everyone should be sorted by the distance they have run, not just the top 10. This is in affect amounts to removing the leader board (or you can think of it as everyone being on the leader board).
    Whoops, I guess I didn't read your message well enough. Sorry for hijacking it for my own purposes Wink bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Are you kidding? I agree with the others - this thread was fun to read. Human nature is always hilariously predictable - and this thread was guaranteed to grow long. Get to the important stuff: how do the rest of us get on your private island? Does it have those little umbrellas in the mai tais?
      Yes, I was definately kidding. I was trying to make people laugh since this silly thread got way too serious. And I was waiting for the question about my private island....yes, to little umbrellas, with pictures of sexy...uhm...lets just say the umbrellas are also only for men and women with a good sense of humor.* Also, pitchers of beer, isolated beaches with beautiful runners, perfect waves.....oh, and only the coolest of folks are allowed. To get home, you must vote yourself off the island. * By good sense of humor, I mean appreciate locker-room jokes and half-time shows.

Now that was a bath...

It's taken me a while to come to replying on this one because I didn't really feel affected by it initially. I know I am not going to be on the leaderboard of the 1000 mile group - i've only been running two months and to try to beat those on top would be foolish. For me the 1000 mile group is about supporting each other to meet a healthy goal. I think that we have to be careful that we don't push people into running miles that are contradictory to staying healthy by focusing on competing with each other. I have never thought of the 1000 mile club as a competition. We could focus on back slapping those at the top - or we could focus on encouragement or support for those that are struggling. To me both have their place. I don't personally have a problem with high mileage people being in the 1000 mile group. They make my effort no less valid. Would I like to see my progress up for all to see like those on the leaderboard? Well yes, I probably would. It seems some minor changes to how the 'leaderboard' is being presented could make everyone happy. I do think though that just because someone has run a lot of initial miles, it doesn't necessarily mean that they should leave the group. Mileage fluctuates. Mine certainly will. I am keeping mine low at the moment as I am coming back from injury and I have a race in 9 days - but later in the year I will be training for a marathon and I intend to crank up the miles with a fury (a 10% increase type of fury albeit). I say the more the merrier! Claire xxxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Slow-smooth-fast

The way I look at it, it is a bit of fun, and like pewviously mentioned those who have ran more than others should not be ostracised for that,or banished all together. I prsonally am doing it, as it is something to aim for, and I get a buzz when I get back off my run and put in my date. I am currently47.8 miles and 4th, but that doesnt make me ny different from anyone else. I run as I want to get fit, and I enjoy it. Lets not get pedantic, and just enjoy what we do.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

JakeKnight

Out of truly idle curiousity, can somebody answer one easy question for me: Hypothetically ... If you know you're going to run 1500 miles or close to it, know it for sure, and you know that some members of the 1000 mile group or 1000km group would rather that their group be made up of people who are, you know, actually aiming for 1000 miles or whatever... why would you NOT be in the 1500 mile group - and just that group? Why would you not just join the one that actually fits you? Just curious. No one ever accused me of being the smartest monkey in the tree, so maybe there's some brilliant logic I'm missing here. But I'm definitely missing it. But isn't that the only question? And if everyone just joined the group with the target they were actually, realistically aiming for ... wouldn't all the rest of the discussion suddenly become moot? Wouldn't all the groups be just peachy-keen just the way they are? I need a beer. And a banana. Carry on. May Abbaroodle bless you all.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

dillydoodles

Eddy, I noticed that you have included a few walks into your run totals. For example: on 1/7/2007 you walked 1.5 miles, but it's listed as a 'run' instead of 'other', therefore it becomes part of your total miles run for the month. I list walks as 'other' and the distance does not get added to my run totals. Even when I do a warm-up walk and a cool-down walk I don't add the mileage into my run totals. I'm just wondering what others do. For myself I want to know how far I ran separately from how far I walked. Walking is one of the XT exercises I do on rest days. Don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just curious.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

For you, JK! Cheers! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm just wondering what others do. For myself I want to know how far I ran separately from how far I walked. Walking is one of the XT exercises I do on rest days.
                  For the first few months I ran I didn't warm up. Then I started warming up with a walk but I wanted to give myself "credit" for that extra distance so I just counted it as part of the "run" (and included in the total time). This year I'm not counting it. That does have the added benefit of making your average pace faster. Wink I guess it just depends on what you want to give yourself credit for. I don't think the pace bunny really cares... Though I'm almost afraid to ask his opinion... Shocked Yikes! That's one tough bunny!

I always walk 4 -5 minutes to warm-up and also walk to cool down. I also counted every step into my milage when I first started running Big grin - but now I prefer to just count actual running time. I don't care if people count their warm up/ cool down milage or not. That said, I am contemplating jogging while grocery shopping Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

madness baby

Out of truly idle curiousity, can somebody answer one easy question for me: Hypothetically ... If you know you're going to run 1500 miles or close to it, know it for sure, and you know that some members of the 1000 mile group or 1000km group would rather that their group be made up of people who are, you know, actually aiming for 1000 miles or whatever... why would you NOT be in the 1500 mile group - and just that group? Why would you not just join the one that actually fits you? I need a beer. And a banana.
                      I'm just sitting back with a glass of wine and enjoying the liveliness of this thread. BTW, what is the answer to that question JK had?
                      deb
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

I briefly considered joining all the groups just so I could participate in the lively discussions. Big grin I can see how some people who might not be sure they'll be able to make their "A" goal might have a "B" goal as back-up... kinda hedging their bets, don'cha know. Weak, yes. But I can see how it'd happen. Plus, there's the I'm-a-new-RA-member-and-I've-got-to-sign-up-for-every-single-group-out-there-because-wow-this-is-so-cool syndrome... Wink

Dumdedum...Am I the only one who's not remotely bothered by any of this? Confused I mean, I'm not losing any sweat over the fact that PatrickXC's run 4X my distance over 10 days, nor am I troubled in the least that there are people in my (1500mi) group who will run 2000 or 3000 or pacebunny to the nth power miles this year. More power to them. They'll show up on the top 10 sure, but I'm just in the group to watch the pace bunny and for social interest. My ego will survive. Live and let live I say. Anyone with me? -Sean P.S. Oh wait, I just read what Claire wrote and agree with that. Wink
                            Out of truly idle curiousity, can somebody answer one easy question for me: May Abbaroodle bless you all.
                            Oh my! Such undeserved respect? But since you asked for it, I offer two blessings. Take your pick. Cool May the road rise to meet you. And may you rise to meet the road. OR:
                            JakeKnight

Option Two. Definitely. And I have a few targets for the blessing of Abbaroodle (May Pizza Be Upon Her), too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Prophet!

I know I am not going to be on the leaderboard of the 1000 mile group Claire xxxx
                                anybody else who has learned anything about Claire so far think that she'll definitely be on the leaderboard of the 1000 mile group ??
                                I say the more the merrier!
                                Indeed ! Unless they are sheeps - they can be quite violent.