10 Miles or Day or Two Long Runs a week (with some shorter stuff) (Read 165 times)

So I try to log about 65-70 miles a week. Over the last few months, more often than not I am running just about 10 miles each day, some days a little longer and others a little shorter (subject, of course, to life getting in the way). I'll start marathon training in a 45-60 days with weeks structured around a long run and some speed work, but in the meanwhile I'm looking for feedback on the above. Thanks.

kcam

Don't know which is better but I predict major ass-kicking in that marathon if you can execute either of those for another 45-60 days and THEN do a specific marathon build.

Mmmmm...beer

I'd at least keep a long run going, that way you're not jumping right back into the long run when you start your plan.  I've been doing 16-18 miles for my long run while base building.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Latent Runner

I typically do 10 per day during the week and then look to do a couple of long 15-18 runs on weekends.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
          mikeymike

Don't know which is better but I predict major ass-kicking in that marathon if you can execute either of those for another 45-60 days and THEN do a specific marathon build.

This.

Runners run

catwhoorg

Labrat

Variety is better.

at the very least you want one longer run per week or 10 days

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Why is it sideways?

Whichever you enjoy more.

NHLA

I can run 8 miles everyday with no break forever. That is just not long enough to make me sore. This works for base training or just getting in the miles. If I run 16-20 miles three days in a row I need two days rest.

I think you should run 8-10 miles daily for your base then start running three quality workouts a week, two recovery runs and two rest days.

With a 60-70 mile base you are going to great.