Most efficient way to bring/have water on a run? (Read 2847 times)

You Are Beautiful.

So I'm getting my mileage up (a little) and I'm feeling like it would be nice to have water with me on the run. The partner and I have talked about planting water ahead of time (via car or bikes) and/or carrying a fanny-pack. I don't like either of those options. I suppose they're better than nothing but I think there's gotta be a better way. Waste of gas, time, resources. And I hate the idea of something bobbling and bouncing around at my waist. I already have enough bouncing around that direction.

So how can I best carry water with me or have water, in general on my run? There aren't any fountains (unless we change our route). . .we run through neighborhoods and sidestreets. We do come across a lot of sprinklers...

So what does everbody else do?

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
    Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

I also hated the idea of bringing along a water bottle, so now when i'm doing a longerish run I make sure to pick a route that will bring me by a water fountain, or a restaurant or somewhere where you can grab a quick drink.  The other thing I have done is just done a loop by my house so that I can duck in grab a glass of water and then take off again.

I think you might want to change your route.

mikeymike

I just don't drink anything for the most part.  Most of my runs are under 90 minutes and the ones that are longer than that generally go near some kind of water fountain (at least in the summer.)

Runners run

Cindy Yeap

How about a Runaid Runners Water Bottle? They're between £3-£5 and easy to hold on to ....

Hope this helps!

I use the amphipod full tilt belt to carry my water bottle.  I had the same concerns you did in regards to bouncing around.  I have found the waist pack to be very secure, little bouncing and I don't even notice it anymore.  I love having water with me.  I do leave it at home for my shorter runs.  But anything over an hour I take it with me.  An added bonus is having the storage for keys, phone and any nutrition I need to bring along.  I also like my water really cold but have found ice cubes to be rather noisy.  My solution to this problem is to fill the bottle half way with desired liquid and freeze over night.  Then fill the rest of the way before a run.  Less crashing together of ice as I run.
              For my long-run, I fill up two 20-oz water bottles. They take turns hydrating me.  They also kind of serve as two light weights which get lighter as I get more fatigued. 

This is the only run for which I carry water.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Lately.. have not been carrying any water or sportsdrink.

Runs of 5 - 6 miles just do not break for fluids until I get home.  Runs of 7- 10 miles will plan around a waterstop at park or something midway.  Last Marathon cycle when getting runs from 10 - 20 miles would plan with convienent store every 5 - 8 miles or so along way to grab a poweraid zero and carry that until done and then ditch it (in a grabage can) when finished.

just can't run with the hydration belt as no matter how tight seems to jiggle and/or slip too much and destracts from the run.

I have noticed not having the water/fluid with me keeps me focused on just running and the "need" for fluid breaks is more mental than physical, as if you don't have it I do not seem to "need" it where as if carrying and convienent I "need" it.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Camelbak catalyst hydration belt.  Less bouncing than a bottle.  As it empties, it collapses, so no sloshing.

I just don't drink anything for the most part.  Most of my runs are under 90 minutes and the ones that are longer than that generally go near some kind of water fountain (at least in the summer.)

Ditto -- to me its just too hard to carry......on really hot or long runs, I usually carry a couple of dollars and if I really overheat, I usually pass by a little store and buy some water or gatoraide....  Plan my run past water fountains or little stores....to me it works a lot better then carry a water belt...    

All that extra equipment to carry and think of seems to be just too much to think about...

Champions are made when no one is watching

for long runs I go "out and back".  I carry 2 old plastic bottles.  One has water and one has water mixed with Gatorade.  I drop the Gatorade at 1/3 of the run distance for the last miles back to home, and drink water with the other bottle.  It never seems like a big deal to me to carry them.  for anything under 8 miles I don't bother bringing anything.

she runs like a girl

I don't drink or carry anything with me when I run

Maybe a couple dollars stuffed in my sports bra to stop at a convience store and grab a drink if absolutely necessary

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

I don't drink or carry anything with me when I run

Maybe a couple dollars stuffed in my sports bra to stop at a convience store and grab a drink if absolutely necessary

Wow ... thats the second sportsbra storage post I have seen lately.  Someone else had a cellphone stashed in there.

Did not think that would be the most ideal/comfortable place to stash supplies ... Who Knew??

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

A Saucy Wench

I have a waistpack camelbak (not a backpack style) that I use for long runs.  After a couple runs with it I barely notice it.  Where I run my long runs there are no water fountains available and for me water makes a lot of difference between a pleasant run and a grouchy run.

I would never alter my route just to run by water...the concept of doing lots of miserable small loops on crappy traffic filled roads just to find water vs the simple ease of tossing on the pack and going out into the country for a long run ....no comparison.

I have to laugh at the concept of carrying water is too much to think about.  Fill water ...go.  vs. planning a route that will take me by potable water. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Wow ... thats the second sportsbra storage post I have seen lately.  Someone else had a cellphone stashed in there.

Did not think that would be the most ideal/comfortable place to stash supplies ... Who Knew??

Ditto that. I tried carrying a gu there once. NEVER again.  And if it is warm enough for water...that would be some soggy money

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I sometimes carry a bottle if it's very hot. And I can second what Cleveland Mark and Ennay are talking about. I have one. Not very noticeable, holds other stuff if needed. I use that for really long runs w/ no water on route.