Trip to the E.R. for hernia (Read 921 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, a fun a Saturday morning at the local Arts festival turned into an afternoon at the E.R. LSS: after 3 hours of carrying my son in a backpack, I had what I thought was a sore stomach (from the backpack belt across my tummy). Then I realized that a little bit of intestine was potruding in my belly button area (umbilical hernia). The pain got progressively worse and spread (possibly strangulated bowel), so I went to the hospital. At the E.R. , they simply I.V.'d me with some pain killer and pushed my bowels back in place. I went home and feel fine now, albeit a little sore. I'll meet Monday with a surgeon to schedule what should be a relatively easy out-patient surgery. But of course, I'm extremely bummed about not being able to run for a little while (hopefully not too long Sad ). One high point -- EMT was checking my pulse-ox and said something along the lines of, "Sir, are you by chance extremely active? Your pulse is quite low, especially for someone in your state of duress." Angry [My determined face] Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Bummer. Speedy recovery...
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Goodness. Please holler if you have questions. Heal well and be careful.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

"especially for someone in your state of duress."
          LOL! Yep. Sounds about right. Sorry to hear about the hernia... get well soon!

Roads were made for journeys...

Awww. Sorry about that. I'm glad that it wasn't anything worse though. We had to have our son, at age 2, have that surgery. Talk about a stress!...but he came out of it fine. Unfortunately, (probably shouldn't tell you this), the little black string they used to tie things up in there (stays there forever) started *poking out* of his bellybutton over a year later. Took me awhile to figure out what it was, but we eventually had to have him go back in and get that taken care of. Make sure your doc knows how to tie knots and cuts the loose ends! Wink
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Goodness. Please holler if you have questions. Heal well and be careful.
              What's the safe amount of time to wait before starting running after a lathroscopy like this? The caveat is I live on rolling hills (to prep me for Flying Monkeys), so an easy run for me is harder than average. Thanks, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Good luck and sending vibes for a fast recovery Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ouch! My dad has had a couple of hernia surgeries, though his were never outpatient. He always recovered very quickly from them. I hope this won't have you down for too long. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Damn! Sorry to hear that, Jeff! I hope you recover quickly! On the lighter side, I can use this as an excuse to not carry my kids on my back anymore. Cool

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

JakeKnight

Uh, you seem to be handling this awfully well. If I ever have any part of my intestines sticking out where they don't belong, I'm pretty sure I'll be weeping like a little girl. Or drinking heavily. Probably both at the same time. On the plus side, this would be a perfect time for you to use the phrase: "Hey, it only hurts when I laugh ..."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

OK, so during the surgery...while they're in there playing around with your bowles...be sure to remember to raise a fist in the air and with a heavy Scottish accent yell FREEEEEDOMMMMMM! Quite a realistic William Wallace imitation...no, really... Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Also, be sure to make sure you are present when the surgery is ordered. I had a ventral hernia in 1999 and when the nurse ordered the surgery, she ordered one for a hernia slightly down and to the right in a far more vulnerable region. Glad I got to circle and sign the cutting point!
                          If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                            I had a umbilical hernia repaired some years back (like 8 years ago) and then last year I had an inginual hernia repaired. I think my body is falling apart! Anyhow, the surgeries were easy, recovery was fairly quick. The umbilical hernia recovery took longer, but I wasn't running back then, maybe that's why.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My dad has had a couple of hernia surgeries
                              *cue Twilight Zone music* My dad has also had a couple of hernia surgeries. Better tell your brother to get to work on his abs / core muscles. Tongue

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*cue Twilight Zone music* My dad has also had a couple of hernia surgeries. Better tell your brother to get to work on his abs / core muscles. Tongue
                                Ha! Actually, strokes are the things that I worry about. Stroke is what killed my grandpa and his father...and nearly took my dad. Between the type II diabetes and strokes on that side of the family my brother and I have extra reason to keep on running. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay