Recommendation for running vest with bottles (Read 116 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

Looking for a running vest that holds bottles (not bladders with hose/camelbak), any good recommendations?

I already have a running belt with 4 hand-grenade-sized bottles, and it was just enough for me last winter doing very long runs but I think that may not be enough in the summer.

Thanks!

Gator eye

Orange mud. They ride high on your back and the weight seems to disappear. Not alot of noise cause bottles are behind you and the pockets are big enough to carry  phone, sandwich whatever.

sluggo

John

I have a belt with four 6 oz bottles.

I liked it while training for Boston. The only issue is that they can freeze open if it's cold enough and you don't drink them soon enough.

You can set them with the pull plug sitting up or sideways. I set them pointing up after the neck on the first bottle once. It froze open and dribbled down may leg. That was interesting. I took and inventory to see if I was too cold. Face feels OK, hands feel OK, feet feel OK, why is my left leg so cold? I had a sheet of ice running from my thigh to my knee. After that, I always pointed them up.

John
        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

sometimes I use a flask when running. I'll pull over by a tree, fence or anywhere for that matter and break out my flask and take a few pulls off of'er, usually some kind of high end buzz producer, Macallan 17 year stuff is my go to thirst quencher.

Wing

Joggaholic

Just an update that I finally decided on the orangemud VP2. I did a 27mi trail run with it over the weekend and it worked great, no chafing. The capacity is 25oz x 2 and I added an extra 20oz bottle in the back and 2 small 7oz in the front pockets, that totals to 84oz. There was no bouncing and the weight was well balanced, I didn't get any shoulder or back soreness afterward. The straps under the armpits do feel kind of weird, but not uncomfortable. The only minor issues I had was the difficulty in pulling those straps under the arms (with sweaty and wet hands), and the inconvenience of needing to re-adjust those straps everytime I put the pack on.

Thank you all for all the suggestions!

Sorry for being late to the thread.  I would definitely wear it a few times and see if you get used to the noise.  That was my biggest complaint with the vest.  For what ever reason I just couldn't get used to the sloshing noise so close to my head and eventually went back to a hand held.  I still use the vest when it is cool out for carrying gels, extra flashlight/batteries, or even a extra shirt in the back.

Carrying 84 ounces on you is impressive.  Have you been able to measure any decrease in pace with the additonal weight? I feel slower just carrying 20 oz.

Wing

Joggaholic

Sorry for being late to the thread.  I would definitely wear it a few times and see if you get used to the noise.  That was my biggest complaint with the vest.  For what ever reason I just couldn't get used to the sloshing noise so close to my head and eventually went back to a hand held.  I still use the vest when it is cool out for carrying gels, extra flashlight/batteries, or even a extra shirt in the back.

Carrying 84 ounces on you is impressive.  Have you been able to measure any decrease in pace with the additonal weight? I feel slower just carrying 20 oz.

I didn't mind the noise, I think I mentally blocked it out. I have a belt with 4x7oz bottles that is my primary equipment for up to ~13 miles / 2.5 hours in the summer, so I needed to invest in the orangemud for the longer runs. I'm sure the weight has an effect on pace, but I couldn't really isolate that for comparison with this run. I will say that it did not feel like a noticeable burden, it was mostly out-of-sight out-of-mind.