Recovery Drinks (Read 1158 times)

Please forgive if this has been asked. I tried searching, but didn't see anything on point (saw stuff about gatorade, beer and chocolate milk, but I may need a bit more.) I'm running a 50K Saturday (taking it as the last big training run before Boston. Won't push it.) and am thinking a recovery drink would be helpful. Once, after a marathon, I used a PowerBar recovery shake. Felt good and was yummy. For some long runs in the fall while training for another marathon, I'd have a post-run shake of soy powder, milk, OJ, banana, frozen berries (blue, straw, or rasp) and yogurt. This is also on my breakfast menu most days. So, today, I stop in a certain vitamin & exercise supplement store looking for the PowerBar drink. Didn't have it, but I felt like I walked into a drug pusher zone. Guy immediately starts hawking me all this crap and talked about if I want to "take it to the next level" I might consider this, that or the other thing. One jug of powder was like 50-odd bucks. Seriously, I had a college buddy who could provide an "herb supplement" Wink Wink, nod, nod, and he was never pushy. I left with nothing but a dirty feeling. So, any recommendations, or bring along a Nalgene of my own making? (Trent: I already know you will say to take my stuff, because it is "real food.") I just don't know that it will have all what my muscles need for recovery. Thanks!
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I often drink sports drinks, but do use other things for recovery. When do you plan on drinking your Nalgene's contents. Oh, and this: Big grin
        Well, if I make the aforementioned drink, I'd imagine within minutes of finishing. Then move on to beer.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, if I make the aforementioned drink, I'd imagine within minutes of finishing. Then move on to beer.
          I think that is a great plan. I usually do frozen fruits, yogurt and maybe a sugar or carb source. Protein powder is fine, but the yogurt provides this as well. And yes, then beer Smile

The Greatest of All Time

Here we go again...(be kind Trent). There is a product called Accelerade that is a 4:1 carb to protein ratio that's good during long runs and after. It comes in the typical sports drink flavors, orange, fruit punch, etc. I personally have not used it. I make my own with water, dextrose, and whey powder. The Powerbar drink you wrote about has about the same formula as my drink. In my experience, drinking this type of stuff during long runs and after long or hard runs has significantly increased recovery and reduced muscle soreness. I do run a lot and without fail I consume protein with fast acting carbs after I run. There is no way I could do doubles 4 days a week without proper recovery nutrition. Trent recovers his way, I recover my way but I think we both recover. But I haven't tried his steel cut oats yet Wink
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Doctor's orders it is then Big grin
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, I drank a load of Accelerade last year. It is hard to get down until you are used to it. I never had any GI issues with it. I cannot say that I noticed it did much for me over smoothies or even Cokes.
                finney

Resident pinniped

I usually do a granola bar and yogurt. Seems to work OK for me. If it's a drink I'm looking for, water with a pinch of sea salt does the trick. I find Gatorade, etc too sugary and it doesn't sit with my stomach.

The Greatest of All Time

Actually, I drank a load of Accelerade last year. It is hard to get down until you are used to it. I never had any GI issues with it. I cannot say that I noticed it did much for me over smoothies or even Cokes.
                    I am doing a HM in two weeks and the official race drink is Accelerade. As I said I have never used it, but based on what you wrote I may need to try it out before the race.

One of my teachers in college was a member of the Canadian softball team in the 2004 Olympics, and she said that their head trainer swore by a recovering from a workout with a glass of Kool-Aid with a raw egg mixed in. It sounds quite awful, and I still haven't tried it myself. I've never run a race longer than 10k, but after runs over 12 miles, I like to have a glass of chocolate or strawberry milk. That post-run shake you mentioned enjoying after your long fall runs sounds delicious, though, and I would go with that just because it sounds so good. As long as it has glucose and protein, I imagine you'll recover just fine. No need to spend a bunch of money if something cheaper will get the job done just as well, right?

The Greatest of All Time

As long as it has glucose and protein, I imagine you'll recover just fine.
                        Exactly. Dextrose is glucose which is why I use it. It has the highest glycemic load, which in turn creates the greatest insulin release, which helps get more amino acids in the muscle cells. And yes, kool-aid and eggs sounds nasty.

Matt Fitzgerald, author of "Performance Nutrition for Runners", recommends drinking a recovery drink within the first 30 minutes or so after a race or hard workout. If you want to use a commercially available drink, he specifically recommends Ultragen or EnduroxR4 because they are both (quoting him now) "designed to deliver the ideal combination of nutrients more rapidly than any natural food...Both these drinks contain whey protein isolate, which is one of the proteins found in milk. It is a high quality protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids, and it is very easy to digest. It empties from the stomach and is absorbed into the bloodstream from the intestine faster than other proteins". I use Ultragen (cappuccino flavored) http://www.firstendurance.com/ultragen.html, and I really like it. Maybe it's psychological, but I really feel like I recover and feel better more quickly when I drink Ultragen after a hard workout or race. This is not to say that other concoctions, such as smoothies (made with a protein supplement) might not work just as well. Oh, and I really like accelerade too, but I use that for drinking during my run, not after. I get the stuff that is premixed, since dissolving the power stuff is not easy. But the premixed stuff seems to have disappeared off the shelves of Publix - any idea where to get this stuff anymore anyone?

The Greatest of All Time

^^I have been preaching that for a long time. It's nice to see we have moved beyond simple Gatorade.

JakeKnight

I am doing a HM in two weeks and the official race drink is Accelerade. As I said I have never used it, but based on what you wrote I may need to try it out before the race.
                              Go to marathonguide.com and read last year's race reviews of the Country Music Marathon. You'll see one comment pop up a lot. Sort of a theme. Personally, I thought Accelerade worked great. It tastes like thrice-regurgitated walrus vomit, but it did the job. I ran well and had no stomach problems at all. But if you read the reviews, it appears I was in a pretty small minority. After the race, the thing I heard more than anything else was griping about the aforementioned walrus vomit devil's brew. Here's a typical comment:
                              I like everything about the CMM experience except the Accelerade. It just doesn't sit well with me. Instant nausea. Such is life. Anybody out there with a similar problem? How do you address it?
                              Maybe you'll be lucky and be like me and not mind it so much. Assuming you can choke it down. But maybe not. Might want to try it first.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Accelerade - I like the way it tastes! I wonder if I've just been lucky enough to pick good flavors? Or is it that I use the premixed stuff? I bought the powered stuff, and I agree, that stinks, mostly because I can never get all the power dissolved. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they make the premixed stuff anymore. It used to be on the grocery store shelves. I heard somewhere that they may reintroduce it into health food stores, but I have no idea if that's true or not. Anyway, I highly recommend it - and maybe if it tastes like vomit to you, try some other flavors? Or maybe it just takes getting used to.... Confused