Shin splints 3 weeks out (Read 92 times)

DantheMan

I am running a marathon April 10th and have just got shin splints. Should I keep running and ice like there's no tomorrow or should I give it a rest for a couple days. I am using the Hal Higdon program. Thanks guys.

-Find your happy pace.

an amazing likeness

Shin splints are (most often) an overuse injury...

You're late in your training cycle, so the miles you're working on now aren't the 'core' of the training load...

Were it me, I'd vote for a couple days off or real light miles and ice to speed the healing. Caveat being, I am not skilled at executing marathon training.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

Take the time you need. Calf stretching is important for proper foot to lower leg function. Add some dorsiflexion exercises with a band or light cable weights to strengthen. Of course, the obvious, make sure your shoes are in good shape. Also, if you need more support in your shoes or need orthotics, be aware of this in future. Orthotics were the magic bullet for my chronic shin splints 20 years ago. never had aproblem since.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I look my best blurry!

I was in the same situation before my first marathon.  I didn't run for 4 weeks prior to the race.  I took ibuprofen, iced, stretched, massaged, walked, biked and ran in deep water.  The day before the race I ran 11 minutes in pain.  I iced and took and the next day I ran the marathon with 2 sets of calf sleeves.  I BQd with 22 min to spare.  It worked for me but it might not work for you.  I would take a few days off and ice.  If that doesn't help you could seek medical advice from a PT, sports medicine doctor or orthopedic doctor that works with athletes/runners.  Good luck!

DantheMan

Thanks for all the suggestions! I rested and stretched this week. When it came time for my long run, I wrapped it. I was sore in the beginning, but after mile two all was kosher! Thanks again.

-Find your happy pace.

SMART Approach

Cool. Get it warm and loose before your runs for the next couple weeks. Hot bath/moist heat is best......this gets area loose and avoids/limits the micro tears associated with shin splints allowing further healing to take place vs set backs. Dorsiflexion, toe taps and stretching all good as is icing after activity.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

walkingahead

Apart from obvious factors --the length and intensity of the run -- I believe one trigger of shin splints is running downhill, especially when slapping with the front of the feet to the ground.

Currently it's not even known what causes shin splints: vibration stress to shinbones or periosteal inflammation or the pull of muscles to periosteum...

http://www.ehealthstar.com/anatomy/periosteum

DantheMan

My shin splints have seemed to have resolved themselves. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Go Team Running Amok!

-Find your happy pace.